Careers

anyone working for Bell Technical Solutions? or a field technician?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2017 2:41 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 23, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote
East York, ON
Hey guys,

Been offered a Technician job and at first I was looking forward to the learning curve but after reading these posts I am not too sure. I would be DT Toronto, does anyone have any insight to the culture of that depot? I don't mind hard work and I love to learn new things but if the culture is toxic then that may be the deal breaker.
Any updated info you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Oct 23, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote
East York, ON
Toronto80 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2012 8:05 pm
I was hired just under a year ago and work in Toronto, I'm assuming you're in Toronto also.

You can expect to work 80 hours every pay period. The hours aren't guaranteed, but they don't sit people that often, atleast in the core. You will have a set schedule but it can change as they've told you. Expect to work every weekend. To me, its the only downfall of the job. It is tough at first, but once you hit your stride it can be the best job ever. I've heard of some managers who are d*cks, but in my experience, they're only d*cks to you if you aren't doing your job.

If anyone has any questions just ask them. i've almost been on the load for a year now and wouldn't mind helping any inquiring minds.
Hey There
Been hired out of Toronto Downtown and wondering if you're still working there. Any insight into the culture, job etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Jan 19, 2014
8 posts
Anyone know the starting salary for bell technical solutions field tech these days?
Apr 22, 2014
1 posts
Mississauga, ON
I signed up for the information session coming april 30th, can anyone tell me if thing are busy or slow in the 416 and 905? i worked for downsview back in 2008 but left due being on DOR like 3 days out of 5, are thing still like that? or has things picked up since?
Jul 22, 2014
1 posts
Markham, ON
hi
anyone had interview for service technician on 6354 Viscount Road, Mississauga (bell solution),i am wondering what they want to do ,cause they asked me be prepared for 4 hours interview.
anyone has experience?
thanks
Oct 18, 2014
1 posts
Hey everyone,
I had my interview taken on Wednesday (June 11, 2014) in Mississauga for technician position. I was told I will hired if I pass the criminal background check. But, I have not heard back from them since. Anybody knows how long does it take them to do criminal background check?
Thanks
Nov 20, 2014
2 posts
I have a opportunity to get hired with BTS or DHP (piece work for rogers), which company would be a wiser decision to confirm employment with?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
JIMR606 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2014 7:31 pm
I have a opportunity to get hired with BTS or DHP (piece work for rogers), which company would be a wiser decision to confirm employment with?
DHP. If you work BTS you are TPT (temporary part time).TPT has no benefits, doesn't take a truck home sits by a phone because they must come in when they are called. Gets no work when it is slow, so no pay.

If you work piece work for certain contractors that Rogers uses (each has their own rules), typically you can get a full work load, work OT, extra days and make more money. Some let you take the truck home for $50 per month. Some might be free to take the truck home.

After the end of September, Bell will dump a large percentage of the people they hired for the summer. AFAIK Rogers contractors, hire because they need people and intend to keep them.

If you are good, you can make the same cash a 10 year veteran would on the piecework model. If you work BTS, the lineup is long and at least three years to become permanent part time.
Nov 20, 2014
2 posts
Thanks for the info AudiDude. I have an interview with bell tomorrow for 4 hours, but after reading the comments here, it makes me not want to even go. Both Positions are for Mississauga, which made me think there wouldn't be shortage of work when it came to BTS. TPT sounds like crap as it is, on call and no benefits? That sounds so low.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
JIMR606 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2014 3:49 pm
Thanks for the info AudiDude. I have an interview with bell tomorrow for 4 hours, but after reading the comments here, it makes me not want to even go. Both Positions are for Mississauga, which made me think there wouldn't be shortage of work when it came to BTS. TPT sounds like crap as it is, on call and no benefits? That sounds so low.
Rogers way of having a flexible work force is having contractors, Bell uses different grades of employees. The fastest way to make the most money is DHP or any other of Rogers contractors because you have the chance to make more by working more. If you were in working and your dispatcher had extra work, you could just do the extra work. At BTS you'd be working past your shift and you would need permission, which nobody wants to give you, to make extra money. I heard some people have called in to work an extra day as a Rogers contractor because nobody cares. Your company would make more money if you work more, so they shouldn't complain.

I also heard BTS stocks your truck and hands you the keys. That way they can give the trucks out to guys that are on shift, when you are not. How are you supposed to find anything with a different van all the time?

Finally what would you be doing at BTS? Majority phone and maybe some DSL/wifi ( I met a guy who was TPT for 3 years and was one of the special few to install DSL). I see Rogers contractors install every service. Maybe not when the service is new, but within a year. Rogers contractors install phone, cable, digital cable, Internet, fibre, setup wifi, security and SOHO business class services.

Both jobs are stressful, but if you were going to use any training going forward to get another job in the future and like technology, which do you think you should pick? One job covers many more facets and technologies.
Dec 24, 2014
1 posts
Westmount, QC
So recently got hired to BTS starting @ $16.2 as a RPT right off the bat. I been reading this fourm and see alot of negatives. Is the job prospect really that bad? And what should I expect from the 6 weeks of training?
Mar 7, 2014
5 posts
AudiDude wrote:
Jun 24th, 2014 3:13 pm
DHP. If you work BTS you are TPT (temporary part time).TPT has no benefits, doesn't take a truck home sits by a phone because they must come in when they are called. Gets no work when it is slow, so no pay.
There is no more TPT; it's RPT and you will get an 8 week schedule, although they can change your schedule the night before but that's all based on the load. If you're in a big city such as Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City there is usually OT offered fairly regularly if you're interested in it.

AudiDude wrote:
Jun 24th, 2014 8:21 pm
Finally what would you be doing at BTS? Majority phone and maybe some DSL/wifi ( I met a guy who was TPT for 3 years and was one of the special few to install DSL). I see Rogers contractors install every service. Maybe not when the service is new, but within a year. Rogers contractors install phone, cable, digital cable, Internet, fibre, setup wifi, security and SOHO business class services.

Both jobs are stressful, but if you were going to use any training going forward to get another job in the future and like technology, which do you think you should pick? One job covers many more facets and technologies.
Nowadays at BTS you will start out doing Home Phone and DSL and than you will be given additional training to add to your skill sets.

-----

I currently do installs and repairs for Residential and Business phone & internet, Residential Fibe TV with pair bonding and I will be starting to do FTTH shortly.
Mar 7, 2014
5 posts
heecs2014 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2014 7:58 pm
So recently got hired to BTS starting @ $16.2 as a RPT right off the bat. I been reading this fourm and see alot of negatives. Is the job prospect really that bad?
The job isn't as bad as people in this thread make it out to be, there are some days that are worse than others but what job doesn't have them.
heecs2014 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2014 7:58 pm
And what should I expect from the 6 weeks of training?
I don't know how the training in Quebec is but in Ontario the training is fairly comprehensive and they will cover everything that you will regularly see in the field. There are situation that you may come across in the field that you haven't had training for but there is a plethora of help available should you need it.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2058 posts
96 upvotes
Markham
Has BTS improved? Read through the first few pages and it sounded like a horrible place.