Careers

anyone working for Bell Technical Solutions? or a field technician?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2017 2:41 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 5, 2014
1 posts
North Bay, ON
dec12 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2014 5:37 pm
Has BTS improved? Read through the first few pages and it sounded like a horrible place.
I've been working with BTS for the last 6 or so months now. When I first read this thread prior to getting the job, I had my doubts too. I decided to go for it anyways though.

Honestly it hasn't been all that bad. Like others have said, some days are rougher than others. Expect to stay past your scheduled shift sometimes (overtime). For me anyways, the learning curve was pretty steep at first. The 6 weeks of training was great and all but I feel like they didn't provide nearly enough 'mentor rides' in order to really get a feel for the job. Once the classroom stuff is over and you're thrown out in the field, you've gotta stay positive and push through it. You won't know wtf your doing, but it gets easier

At this point I can say I'm enjoying this job. If you like working on your own, this job provides a lot of freedom. Each day is definitely unique, there's lots to learn and lots to see. Each day is like a friggin treasure hunt though looking for all your opi's, peds, aerial terminals, etc

btw I've been getting steady 40 hours every week + 8 hours forced overtime. I've been doing four 10hr shifts, one 8hr overtime shift, and then 2 days off. I have over 200 overtime hours banked which I can cash at any time. That's pretty awesome
Oct 23, 2013
4 posts
1 upvote
East York, ON
I have to agree with the previous post. I have also been working for about 6 months and am enjoying it. Before I started I read through these posts and wondered what the hell I was getting myself in for. The 6 weeks paid training and subsequent mentor rides were informative but not enough for me to feel comfortable on my own. That took a few months. The learning curve I found steep but getting much easier now. What I found surprising was the support from the more senior guys at the work centre. They are always there to help you figure out any issue.
All in all its a good job. Just put your time in and the better pay will come.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2058 posts
96 upvotes
Markham
Well, went to the interview and I think I did well. They called today but I'm not home so I guess I have to suffer another sleepless night before I get my answer.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1635 posts
210 upvotes
I applied for this position while I finish my post-secondary schooling. Are BTS Technicians the guys that come to your house when you have problems with your internet or phone? The guys who work with the DEMARC and DSLAM and whatnot?

Why would they ever need to "be willing and able to climb 25 feet"? And how often would one have to do this?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 12:01 am
I applied for this position while I finish my post-secondary schooling. Are BTS Technicians the guys that come to your house when you have problems with your internet or phone? The guys who work with the DEMARC and DSLAM and whatnot?

Why would they ever need to "be willing and able to climb 25 feet"? And how often would one have to do this?
Yes.
Yes.
Almost never. Mostly 10-16.6 feet. They only have a 20 ft ladder which has to remain on an angle to climb. Some pole climbing can get you up there without a ladder. Terminals can be either located in pedestals on the front lawn, or in the air in the back yard. That means climbing for the latter. Don't forget you may be wading through a four foot snow drift in -20 degree weather while wearing a tool belt and holding your 50 pound latter in your heavy boots and winter clothing.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1635 posts
210 upvotes
AudiDude wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 12:16 am
Yes.
Yes.
Almost never. Mostly 10-16.6 feet. They only have a 20 ft ladder which has to remain on an angle to climb. Some pole climbing can get you up there without a ladder. Terminals can be either located in pedestals on the front lawn, or in the air in the back yard. That means climbing for the latter. Don't forget you may be wading through a four foot snow drift in -20 degree weather while wearing a tool belt and holding your 50 pound latter in your heavy boots and winter clothing.
Is it really that bad? If I refuse to do a job I feel is a threat to my life or safety will I be punished?

You did say 'almost never' but still, the climbing thing is the only part of the job I feel uncomfortable with. I don't mind harsh weather if I'm on the ground haha
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 12:19 am
Is it really that bad? If I refuse to do a job I feel is a threat to my life or safety will I be punished?

You did say 'almost never' but still, the climbing thing is the only part of the job I feel uncomfortable with. I don't mind harsh weather if I'm on the ground haha
Skip it then. If you work in Toronto, you climb all the time. Almost never was in regards to "climbing 25 ft". Refusing to climb is pretty much refusing to do your job. I had a few guys that wouldn't climb. They never made it through training or their probation. Climbing is a threat to your life or safety as is working in inclement weather and driving all day. Sitting in the office playing mental mind games and backstabbing, staring at a monitor while sitting in a chair all day is a threat to your life and safety as you pack on the pounds, go blind from staring at the monitor and become mentally distressed with office politics.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1635 posts
210 upvotes
AudiDude wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 1:35 am
Skip it then. If you work in Toronto, you climb all the time. Almost never was in regards to "climbing 25 ft". Refusing to climb is pretty much refusing to do your job. I had a few guys that wouldn't climb. They never made it through training or their probation. Climbing is a threat to your life or safety as is working in inclement weather and driving all day. Sitting in the office playing mental mind games and backstabbing, staring at a monitor while sitting in a chair all day is a threat to your life and safety as you pack on the pounds, go blind from staring at the monitor and become mentally distressed with office politics.
Maybe I'd change my mind after training (if they even e-mail/call me). I've climbed two-story houses before when I was installing rain gutters and it wasn't bad. This was without any harness or security. My supervisor would hop around on the ladder to move it over while at the top haha.. he was one ballsy man.
Oct 10, 2007
299 posts
86 upvotes
I have interview monday and they said there is a face-to-face interview, presentation and driving test that could take 2 - 4 hours. Anyone know the interview process for bell technician job?
How many test are there and is there reverse/parallel parking on the driving test? Do they ask for references?
Apr 1, 2015
2 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi there, I had this interview recently, I'll help you out. (wish i had this help before i went ;) )

The day goes like this.
1. Presentation is done about BTS and the technician job and what to expect (~1.5 hrs)
2. After the presentation, people are free to leave if they were expecting a different type of job ( 2 out of 10 people left my room)
3. After presentation they take 1 or 2 at a time and you do simple driving test (~10 minutes of driving)*
*No parallel parking or anything crazy, you just take out a bell minivan (grand caravan or ford transit) and you drive around where the guy tells you.
When you return you just have to back it into the spot you left from so check your mirrors. Treat this as a G2 road test and you'll be fine.
4. There were 2 mini interviews for our group so it may be the same pattern for others.
5. They ask the standard questions as to "why you want the job, if we call your boss what would they say about you and customer service questions"
6. After you complete the 2nd interview you are free to go and they say you will have an answer in a week or less.

Good luck,

There is 2 mini interviews, both maybe 10-15 minutes long
Apr 1, 2015
2 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 12:01 am
From what I heard it wont be that often.
They probably just want to be absolutely sure you are not terrified of heights, youll probably climb 10 feet on the ladder most of the time. (this is only from what I heard though)
Oct 10, 2007
299 posts
86 upvotes
justherefortheforums wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2015 11:05 pm
Am I allowed to reply to posts or what, im trying to help people.
Thanks for answering my question. I sent you few more questions.
Oct 10, 2007
299 posts
86 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Apr 7th, 2015 1:55 pm
What's the pay for this job these days?
starting is $14.20; they raise $1 for every 1040 hours which is about 6 months. So its $2 increase every year.
Apr 13, 2015
2 posts
Greely, ON
Hey Question
What's the difference between Bell Technician and Cable Puller?
Also what are the salaries for these jobs?
If you had a choice which would be better?
Any info would be appreciated
Just finishing school and looking for a first job
Are these good first jobs?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)