Careers

anyone working for Bell Technical Solutions? or a field technician?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2017 2:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1645 posts
220 upvotes
Rangerblue wrote:
Apr 14th, 2015 6:38 pm
Hey Question
What's the difference between Bell Technician and Cable Puller?
Also what are the salaries for these jobs?
If you had a choice which would be better?
Any info would be appreciated
Just finishing school and looking for a first job
Are these good first jobs?
What school are you finishing? High school? Or college/uni? If college/uni, what program?

Apparently the starting wage is around 14-16/hr

Field technicians are the guys who go out to houses and fix or set up the internet.
Cable pullers, from what I understand, are people who lay or replace cable.

Prefer? It depends on what you want. Read the job descriptions and pick one.
Apr 13, 2015
2 posts
Greely, ON
Electrical Engineering Technician at Algonquin College
I have been looking around for jobs and this one came up
I have applied to technician and cable puller just wondering if one is better then the other.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
Rangerblue wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 9:14 pm
Electrical Engineering Technician at Algonquin College
I have been looking around for jobs and this one came up
I have applied to technician and cable puller just wondering if one is better then the other.
Cable puller has a different wage scale... and its lower.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1645 posts
220 upvotes
Anyone work here without an electrical/electronics degree/diploma?

infilove7 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2015 3:30 pm
starting is $14.20; they raise $1 for every 1040 hours which is about 6 months. So its $2 increase every year.
Did you get offered the job? Did you take it?
Oct 10, 2007
300 posts
86 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote:
May 5th, 2015 11:35 pm
Anyone work here without an electrical/electronics degree/diploma?

Did you get offered the job? Did you take it?
I went to interview and they didn't call me.
You don't need degree or diploma for bell technician job. As long as you have some experience in the field, i think you have a chance.
Feb 7, 2015
1 posts
T.DOT
This job has turned into a spynet. Your work provided phone, tracks and listens in on your calls and messages. BTS is like working for a ***** factory but outdoors, you are paid far below what should be at, minimum a $20hr job. There are people who have worked there for more than 10yrs and only do residential phone and internet install/ repair. YOU will be trained on everything from phone and internet to TV install / Repair and PAIR BOND. A single pair is bad enough, wait till you have to deal with 2. Overall, it's a ***** company, don't expect to get requested days off, and don't expect to be treated with respect from your managers, They only care about their bonuses which aren't offered to technicians. To make a decent wage, you have to stick it out for atleast 7 years, as you hit a ceiling of 23HR as part time. It only creeps to $29HR once you become a fulltime employee. You also do not get benefits until completing 1 year. (you can still buy benefits from your rinky dink cheque)
Mar 7, 2014
5 posts
Joeb1ow wrote:
Jul 30th, 2015 7:13 am
This job has turned into a spynet. Your work provided phone, tracks and listens in on your calls and messages. BTS is like working for a ***** factory but outdoors, you are paid far below what should be at, minimum a $20hr job. There are people who have worked there for more than 10yrs and only do residential phone and internet install/ repair. YOU will be trained on everything from phone and internet to TV install / Repair and PAIR BOND. A single pair is bad enough, wait till you have to deal with 2. Overall, it's a ***** company, don't expect to get requested days off, and don't expect to be treated with respect from your managers, They only care about their bonuses which aren't offered to technicians. To make a decent wage, you have to stick it out for atleast 7 years, as you hit a ceiling of 23HR as part time. It only creeps to $29HR once you become a fulltime employee. You also do not get benefits until completing 1 year. (you can still buy benefits from your rinky dink cheque)
The reason some of the older guys aren't trained on anything beyond phone and internet repair is because the company can't force training on you, however the union can only protect you for so long and it will get to a point when those refusing training will be fired; however the guys that are being hired now are being hired for TV and pair bond.

Days off, well it's a seniority based company and everything is spelled out in the CBA.

You can make good money as a tech, I had no issue doing that just take the OT when it's offered and make yourself noticed as a resource. You can also get promoted and move up through the company and don't be a tech forever.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
1645 posts
220 upvotes
Has this job gotten any better or do they still treat new employees like roaches?
Aug 18, 2014
19 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No, It hasn't at all. It's really all one big sham. Some speculate that Bell is scared of google so they trying everything they can to "take over". But thats not even the point. I went for the 3 interviews and got the job starting at 14.20 an hour with no prior experience. I have IT and Technical Support background, so they liked that or whatever. What they are really looking for is any warm body that can lift a ladder.

Here's how it goes. They give you a presentation about the job which they show you pictures of stuff you arent even involved in but try and sell it like thats what you will be doing. Its really all just marketing to make you not run out the front door. They said cause of the union, everyone starts at 14.20. This is bs. I know guys in my class that started at 16.20 and 17.20. So if you just negotiate a bit you can get more.

They see if you can drive the truck and give you these cardio tests and see if you can take a ladder off the van.

Then training starts where there are just two regular bell guys training you for the job where they snicker like little kids and make fart jokes all day and totally flip out when you do something wrong or arent on the "same mood wavelength" as theirs. One day its all games, next day its all biz, they were really not suited to be there. Training is 9 weeks when really its 8. They train you on all 3 main aspects of your job, phone, internet, home tv. It takes 10 weeks to learn just phone. So they cram everything to you and kinda just "send" you on your way after that.

I seriously could write a novel about my experience with them. The company is so micro-managed and "CYA (cover your own ass)" that nothing ever gets done properly. I've had really bad experiences with jobs but this one I think might just be the worst.

Expect to deal with disgusting people, like really really really disgusting. Expect to work in any condition, rain and snow. Expect to break rules of the job every day because you have no other way, but then get into trouble aand or preached about safety above everything. Everyone is a hypocrite in the company. There is a certain way to do everything, but no one does it that way. But then people preach about doing it the right way. Its seriously insanity.

I tell you people, im tired of writing....but i have like at least another 30mins of writing about how messed up this company is.

STEER CLEAR. ITS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME for a measly 14.20. The job should START at 20 easily, but that takes you 5+ years in the union to get to that...hahah good luck
Dec 6, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
Any field tech job will have the same problems. I was a telecom tech for 8 years doing work for Rogers contractors before going to BTS. Yes 15.20 is the starting rate for no experience. You can start higher for experience or school. I started 17.20 will work weekends till you have seniority not to. That's life. BTS top wage is 29.50/hr. Not bad for working 4 on 3 off or 5 and 2 with 8 hrs of OT. Sure beats piece work Rollercoaster pay checks. How many Union job with no experience is there out there ?. How many companies give you a $2.00 raise very year $1.00 every 6 months.? 9 weeks training is a lot compared to other companies Rogers home phone class is 3 days lol. Total of 2 weeks Scholls rest in the field. Either your a technical guy or not. At bell I get paid for my drive time to and from shop home and calls. At Rogers just paid by the job no real benefits pension rrsp etc which I get with BTS. Also I get 35% off my Bell services Phone Internet Fibe and Mobile and discounts at The Source. This alone is like making 50 cents more per hour. Since my bill would be 100 buck more a month. Depending where you work and when you get hired is what factors into get FT could be awhile. I seen guys make it in 9 months or 5 years it's 50/50 FT to PT so more your shop expands and hires changes this ratio. My shop is hiring 25 more guys and @ 50 now with 25 FT 25 PT with the new 25 guys takes us to 75 which means 37 FT 38 PT so 12 PT guy will make FT this year. Where I work management is amazing great support group. Yes it's a get the job done world lol but unsafe is unsafe. Unfortunately a lot of techs or new techs are babies and what's unsafe to them is not. I go out get the job done and don't cry. My boss loves me for this. I got this attitude from piece work, you have to work for your money and can't turn down calls because you don't want to do major ladder work or back yards trees etc lol. I get to drive around be my own boss. Work from home company truck, tools, phone and clothing. Some people just want the world without having to work for it. My operations manager was a tech for 5 years and became a manager so hard work pays off for those who want it.
Jan 15, 2017
1 posts
can anyone tell me what were the things that you had to do on the job that was not included in the training?

im about to to do the physical assessment and want to be prepared to learn everything i need to know before i go out on my own
Feb 3, 2017
1 posts
how did it go, are u in training, im on the same boat right now doing the physical test next friday , did u start already are you on the field?
Feb 8, 2017
1 posts
I did the interviews, the drive test and the physical. Still awaiting a reply, I am getting concerned its been a over month now.
Aug 18, 2014
19 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WCMC23 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 4:58 pm
Any field tech job will have the same problems. I was a telecom tech for 8 years doing work for Rogers contractors before going to BTS. Yes 15.20 is the starting rate for no experience.
So these companies don't adjust the starting wage for over 8 years? Don't they understand inflation? A mentor I had started at 14.20. This was 14 years ago. Doesn't that say something?
WCMC23 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 4:58 pm
How many Union job with no experience is there out there ?
Many. After I quit Bell (I only stayed for 3 months) I started a new job at $18 an hour no experience. 3 months probation. And just 3 months time, not 3 months worth of working hours like Bell (which they neglect to mention and really means 5+ months probation)

I was going to point out more, but reading it just makes me cringe hard because it reminds me of the madness there and dudes like you who just take that shit lol. You are trying to make it sound good but its really not.
You are also "on call" which they don't tell you about. WCM23 is a worker drone really, I feel bad for him. If he only knew what else was out there.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)