Automotive

Anything longer lasting than the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2017 10:02 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51743 posts
16253 upvotes

Anything longer lasting than the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil?

15k miles = 24k kilometers! Anyone tried this oil change interval recently on a relatively new vehicle? I am hearing from a friend that AmSoil or Royal Purple may be better but this is just on a Honda Accord that we don't drive too hard.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobi ... erformance

I guess I have to pair it up with the same branding of motor oil filter?
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-M1-110-Ext ... oil+filter
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3642 posts
280 upvotes
Thornhill
I believe the marketing terminology is "up to", up to 15000 miles. Same deal with Amsoil. I would not do an extended interval without doing a used oil analysis. What year is your Accord? most late hondas have a maintenance minder system that tells you when to change your oil. Just use any oil that meets your vehicles rating requirements (read the manual) and follow the system. You also have to note we up here in Canada fall under the severe service intervals. Those 15000 miles or 25000 miles ratings are for extremely ideal conditions (climate, vehicle and driving habits)
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51743 posts
16253 upvotes
11 Accord. I will be doing my own oil changes starting this spring even if the car is still under extended warranty. I'll take photographs of the genuine Honda products I use like the motor oil filter but thinking of going with this motor oil since it's only about $29 USD for 5 quarts at Walmart USA. Likely much cheaper than regular synthetic Honda motor oil.

Re MM, didn't know I could reset it without those OBD scan tools:

Turn the key to the "on" position. Select the maintenance you want to reset (oil life, or specific minder code). Hold down the odometer reset for 10 seconds, until the wrench flashes. Then let the button pop up and immediately push it back down for another 5 seconds, until the reset is complete.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3642 posts
280 upvotes
Thornhill
Yes Honda/Acura can be reset from the dash, no special tools needed. As for oil, what has worked well in my CRV, Accord, TL and RDX is Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra. On sale with rebates you can get this oil down to 20-22 bucks for 5 L (which is all you need for your Accord). Also order your filters online, you don't have to use Honda filters (they are rebranded FRAM filters). I would go with Fram Ultra synthetic filter or WIX filters. You can order these online at Rockauto or on sale when Canadian Tire has it on sale.

Recycling the oil, put your used oil back in the 5L jug and drop it off at your local Canadian Tire (usually near the garage bays)
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14672 posts
3964 upvotes
London
alanbrenton wrote: ...11 Accord. I will be doing my own oil changes starting this spring even if the car is still under extended warranty. ..
If under warranty, do oil changes at the Honda dealer according to the mtce minder to minimize warranty claim hassles

Some Ontario Honda dealers guarantee the lowest price for 0w20 full synthetic oil change and will price match
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51743 posts
16253 upvotes
Okay, I was thinking of doing it myself but I guess I'll ask how much the ATF change is and then asked if they really do the 4x drill/fill,
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13596 posts
2918 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You should follow whatever is indicated by the oil life monitor. The weak part is the oil filter if you do these extended oil changes. I definitely am not going to do 24k km intervals, but I'll probably do it so the oil life monitor is 2000km past overdue to do mine.

If you want a better oil filter, get the 15400-PLM-A01 oil filters. Canada only sells the A02 and they are crap.

Apr 4, 2012
522 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: 11 Accord. I will be doing my own oil changes starting this spring even if the car is still under extended warranty. I'll take photographs of the genuine Honda products I use like the motor oil filter but thinking of going with this motor oil since it's only about $29 USD for 5 quarts at Walmart USA. Likely much cheaper than regular synthetic Honda motor oil.
Turn the key to the "on" position. Select the maintenance you want to reset (oil life, or specific minder code). Hold down the odometer reset for 10 seconds, until the wrench flashes. Then let the button pop up and immediately push it back down for another 5 seconds, until the reset is complete.
Walmart Canada often has the 4L Mobil 1 5W20 on sale for $25, just picked up a jug last week. and CT also occasionally has Mobil 1 sales, usually around 20 bucks off the 4.4 L jugs
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 21, 2004
51743 posts
16253 upvotes
geokilla wrote: You should follow whatever is indicated by the oil life monitor. The weak part is the oil filter if you do these extended oil changes. I definitely am not going to do 24k km intervals, but I'll probably do it so the oil life monitor is 2000km past overdue to do mine.

If you want a better oil filter, get the 15400-PLM-A01 oil filters. Canada only sells the A02 and they are crap.

Yes, I went for the A01's.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30445 posts
16304 upvotes
Ottawa
Synthetic oil can go 15K easily.
In another forum I frequent, several owners sent oil to Blackstone labs at 10% based on the OLM (which was about 10K) and results came back pretty good.
Unfortunately, for warranty purposes, lab results are not acceptable.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13596 posts
2918 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Synthetic oil can go 15K easily.
In another forum I frequent, several owners sent oil to Blackstone labs at 10% based on the OLM (which was about 10K) and results came back pretty good.
Unfortunately, for warranty purposes, lab results are not acceptable.
It depends on what kind of conditions your car is used in though. The oil life monitor tells me to do oil changes every 8000km or so. Tons of city driving, short distances, and cold, Canadian winters is pretty rough.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30445 posts
16304 upvotes
Ottawa
geokilla wrote: It depends on what kind of conditions your car is used in though. The oil life monitor tells me to do oil changes every 8000km or so. Tons of city driving, short distances, and cold, Canadian winters is pretty rough.
I'm at about 7K since my last oil change and at 52% (about the average for my current vehicle).
Good thing the factory is more reasonable to follow the OLM, to a max of 16k; but no longer than a year.

The stealership wants me in at 8k, which is a major waste, considering I'll probably be just shy of 50%.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34134 posts
7973 upvotes
Ottawa
geokilla wrote: You should follow whatever is indicated by the oil life monitor. The weak part is the oil filter if you do these extended oil changes. I definitely am not going to do 24k km intervals, but I'll probably do it so the oil life monitor is 2000km past overdue to do mine.

Interesting video. A good description of the two filter manufacturers.
What is important and was missed though is the number of pleats and what the filtration material is made of. The key to engine oil longevity and effectivity is the cleanliness. The filter is the most important.
Synthetic lubricants will last forever if, it can be kept clean. It does not degrade. What does happen is that it gets contaminated by condensation and combustion byproducts, hence the need for a very good filter. Also, the additive package can become ineffective but, it can easily be replenished sufficiently by adding a litre of lubricant when the filter is changed.
I am in no way advocating exceeding the OEM oil change interval. As everyone knows, short trips, starts and stops and long idling times is detrimental to the oil.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.