Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5875 posts
35 upvotes

Apad, now or wait?

Hi, what are your thoughts on the mini tablet pc's (like iPad) that run on android? I saw one that was 10 inches, 2 Ghz, Rockchip (similar to iPad iirc), HD display, wifi, etc. Are these apad's efficient and smooth even with these specs? I never used iphone nor android phones, is one way better than another? Where's the cheapest place and best model to buy in your opinion? Is it a good time to buy or wait a few months for newer better models (anticipated potential upgrades?)
9 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19180 posts
4260 upvotes
Thornhill
goJays wrote:
Sep 9th, 2010 2:07 pm
Hi, what are your thoughts on the mini tablet pc's (like iPad) that run on android? I saw one that was 10 inches, 2 Ghz, Rockchip (similar to iPad iirc), HD display, wifi, etc. Are these apad's efficient and smooth even with these specs? I never used iphone nor android phones, is one way better than another? Where's the cheapest place and best model to buy in your opinion? Is it a good time to buy or wait a few months for newer better models (anticipated potential upgrades?)

The Rockhip one is pretty crappy, you want at least the Cortex A8 chip. With that being said, how much do you want to spend? Sub $200? Or $300+?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5875 posts
35 upvotes
250$ max maybe i don't know.. do u own one or you are waiting?
Sep 27, 2009
369 posts
44 upvotes
I had 13 (now 4 or 5 left) of the 7 inch irobot ones. They're nice for 150$ if you're planning on doing basic stuff like youtube and web browsing. They run android 1.5 so no full flash support (no megavideo) . Depending on how cpu intensive the app you're using is, you may experience slow downs (robo defence with lots of towers launching rockets slows it down). Battery life is good on them. Wifi is good as well, not super strong like a laptop, but I haven't experienced any black areas in my parents 3 story house. Let me know if you have any other questions on those. I haven't tried out the 10 inch ones.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5875 posts
35 upvotes
10 inches sounds like a lot.. i may settle for 7 inches but still 10 is really tempting. i want to browse WWW and see videos (youtube, flash/divx videos would be great too) in good quality (able to full screen nicely), run apps (gf might want to play light flash games or ipad 'type' games), would love to be able to make notes (.docx) on the fly, use as e-reader.. essentially a fully functional tablet pc for storage and multitasking.

i really care about speed while multitasking, and how well video runs..

i may look into comparison charts and reviews, but any brand or model that you guys personally recommend? or better yet to just wait for next gens?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19180 posts
4260 upvotes
Thornhill
I had a Witstech A81-E, a 7" tablet with Cortex A8 and it ran things very well, plus it had Android 2.2. I sold it as it was an impulse buy, but it was pretty decent.

You can pick them up for $200~ USD, last I checked. If anything, take a look at SlateDroid, lots of info there.

Here's some videos I made for Slatedroid, a few people had questions and I was one of the first owners of the A81-E. Note these were made weeks ago, I'm assuming they've made alot of changes since. The A81-E came out with 2.1, the next week they updated it to a buggy 2.2, then they updated it again fixing alot of bugs the next week, and the week after that, they implemented Flash capabilities.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5875 posts
35 upvotes
aside from Cortex A8, should i also look for one with as high android version as possible? those are nice videos you have made.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10164 posts
1115 upvotes
Brampton
I am contemplating when to get one too. I know though that if we buy anything in the next year or 2 changes are going to be made and revisions made all the time. The mp4 market is a good example, new models were pumped out frequently for months until there were no more features needed.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 59-0-0 and counting.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19180 posts
4260 upvotes
Thornhill
High Android version would be a good idea, because regardless of 'promises' made by the manufacturer, you don't know if they'll really ever update it. These 'companies' are not big enough to make these promises, let alone offer a warranty you can fall back on, one day they may be the biggest thing ever, the next day they disappear into the backalleys of China.

I'd recommend getting a branded tablet but if you really want to just play around and play a small amount, you would have to shoot into the dark with one of these Chinese Android Tablets.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5875 posts
35 upvotes
do u have a branded one that you can recommend?

furthermore, is this one worth getting? http://www.amazon.com/IRobot-Google-And ... 283&sr=1-2

i want the best bang for buck without sacrificing options like processor speed, android version. so an android runs like a normal pc, in terms of allowing multiple apps to be running unlike the ipad?