• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2019 10:06 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2018
883 posts
744 upvotes
Vancouver

Apollo 11 astronauts had to go through U.S. customs on return from the moon

Interesting mention in this article that the Apollo 11 astronauts returning from the moon had to go through U.S. customs, filling out a formal declaration (i.e., "Arriving from: Moon" )
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/moon ... -1.5211063

"Aldrin shared a copy of the document in 2015 on social media and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection even posted it on its website to mark Apollo 11's 40th anniversary."

I couldn't help but think it's a good thing they didn't have the TSA back then, or they would have opened their sample return cases to find a little note saying "Inspected by TSA", and the samples would have been opened, contaminated, broken, and thrown back in randomly with labels scrambled. :)
25 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2017 posts
670 upvotes
Winnipeg
While many at NASA have believed the declaration to be a gag, historians suggest it might have been an attempt to nab the astronauts' autographs, who were returning as national heroes.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Banned
May 9, 2019
277 posts
275 upvotes
if it happened, it was a "joke" to show how big of an occasion it was... for TV purposes really lol
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4695 posts
611 upvotes
Calgary
I liked when they left the moon the controller said "you're number 1 on the runway for takeoff"
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2017 posts
670 upvotes
Winnipeg
If the astronauts had failed customs, they'd have been deported back to moon. :rolleyes: /s
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10940 posts
820 upvotes
Brampton
Did they take their passports with them to the moon? LoL
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22560 posts
2643 upvotes
Montreal
I hear they smuggled in an Omega without delcaring it.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4548 posts
571 upvotes
Ottawa
It's a shame that we actually allowed them in the US. Instead of coming in through an official checkpoint they just landed in the middle of the ocean and expected to be brought to the United States.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22560 posts
2643 upvotes
Montreal
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 1:21 pm
It's a shame that we actually allowed them in the US. Instead of coming in through an official checkpoint they just landed in the middle of the ocean and expected to be brought to the United States.
That would be the dry foot/wet foot policy?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3665 posts
1537 upvotes
Vancouver
Was watching the PBS documentary last night. Loved how NASA engineers stayed up all night trying to figure out how to fix the broken switch on the circuit breaker, then Aldrin fixed it with a felt pen, lol!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9201 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto
I see them ripping apart the shuttle for suspected contraband.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5442 posts
1641 upvotes
Aurora
It's a damned crime we never returned to the moon. If Arthur C Clarke's vision had come true, by now, everyday citizens would be passing customs and immigration to and from our space stations and moon bases.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1895 posts
738 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Legend has it that Buzz was sent to secondary because they thought he was smuggling drugs (with a name like "Buzz"?! C'mon!)
And they went through Mike Collins' cellphone..
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2184 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Customs officer: Mr. Aldrin, you seem to be over the moon, what is the matter?

Aldrin: well, we just came from the moon and are very proud and delighted about that. You know, this only happens once in a blue moon, if ever....

Customs officer: that is so cool. Any plans to go to Mars next?

Aldrin: Sir, you are asking for the moon!
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day