Off Topic

Apotex billionaire found dead at home in Toronto

  • Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2018 12:36 am
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
3320 posts
26345 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 10:23 am
A term used by snowflakes to disparage others.
Name calling, a response typical of someone who fuels innuendo, gossip and half truths.

You say when facts came to light you changed your mind. No facts were presented for murder-suicide, yet you stuck with that from the beginning, until proven wrong when facts we’re presented.

When caught you resort to name calling people snowflakes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7455 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 9:34 am
I read a few articles over the last few days. Apparently his reputation is "mixed". He wasnt an innocent generous guy like the public persona makes everyone believes. In regards to his cousins he wasnt "Bank Sherman" to make up for ousting the kids in the Empire sale. Apparently much of the money he gave them were loans with conditions, some were outright gifts. When things didnt go well he would pull loans and forced them to pay monies back ( assume with legal pressure). Whether it was personal relationships that didnt go well or businesses he funded werent managed as thought they should have... so this guy could be a real arse. Kerry Winter was said to fork over 2 properties and a business back to Barry in loans he pulled. I can understand why the Winters would be pissed when it's your own cousin.
One of the uses of grand sums of money is to be able to control others as you wish.
Have them on a string like puppets if you will,never giving up that advantage as long as it suits your needs.
It's all connected to the ego, this whole web of possibilities in the carnal/material world.
Eventually everyone has to bow at the feet of the Master above and no amount of money can buy you out of that eventuality.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12385 posts
3006 upvotes
Here 'n There
BK2006 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 11:05 am
Name calling, a response typical of someone who fuels innuendo, gossip and half truths.
If you don't like innuendo or gossip I suggest you stop reading RFD! As for half-truths, name one I have presented.
BK2006 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 11:05 am
You say when facts came to light you changed your mind. No facts were presented for murder-suicide, yet you stuck with that from the beginning, until proven wrong when facts we’re presented.
Did I ever say actual facts were presented for murder-suicide? No. How could they be? They are media reports from unnamed 'police sources' as the police have not officially release anything. It was my opinion. Of course you are making things up in order to justify your misplaced criticism. Get your story straight.

FYI, Recent media reports are not facts either, so don't make things up and say they are. However, if true, they present a scenario that now makes murder suicide a highly unlikely scenario to me.
BK2006 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 11:05 am
When caught you resort to name calling people snowflakes.
Says you whose first post in this thread was written just to call me names! I haven't been 'caught' at anything. Quite the opposite. I have corrected a lot of false information presented in this thread. It's not my fault some people can't handle being corrected.

Now let's get back to discussing the subject of this thread.
Sr. Member
Mar 23, 2006
854 posts
128 upvotes
On a side note, I had no idea Frank D'Angelo and Barry Sherman were good friend. In one Toronto Sun article last week I believe I read Frank calling Barry his best friend and they talk daily. Wow, nothing wrong with that, but they seem complete opposite personalities.

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/c ... ey-sherman
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12385 posts
3006 upvotes
Here 'n There
fastmiele wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 12:38 pm
On a side note, I had no idea Frank D'Angelo and Barry Sherman were good friend. In one Toronto Sun article last week I believe I read Frank calling Barry his best friend and they talk daily. Wow, nothing wrong with that, but they seem complete opposite personalities.

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/c ... ey-sherman
I was surprised to hear that they were good friends. D'Angelo's companies, Steelback Breweries and D'Angelo Brands, were funded to the tune of a combined $120M by Barry Sherman. Things were not going well in 2008 and Steelback and D'Angelo Brands were facing bankruptcy so Sherman replaced D'Angelo with his son Jonathon Sherman, who tried to change the direction of the companies but sales continued to be poor and they were shut down in early 2010, less than 2 years after he took over. Barry Sherman lost more money on those craft brewery investments than the entire annual sales revenue from Ontario craft breweries (https://www.thestar.com/business/2010/0 ... eport.html). So, it's surprising that Angelo claims Barry was his best friend and they talked daily, not to mention opposite personalities as you point out. I would think Barry would be smarting from that investment, not to mention they had entirely different backgrounds and were in entirely different industries. What would they talk about 9 years after Barry Sherman terminated D'Angelo? Sherman wasn't known for small talk. Odd, but perhaps its true.
Newbie
Dec 25, 2017
4 posts
The Shermans lived in their house since 1991, when they had it built. It is very possible the Winter boys spent some of their time there, during the years when Barry was acting in the role of surrogate parent to them ie, years he was supporting them whether out of a sense of guilt or altruism providing the Winter children with millions of dollars in support. Sherman cut off all his support in light of the lawsuit instigated by Kerry Winter who has been by far the most vocal of the four brothers. Having gone public with his vendetta in 2007 to a journalist wherein he vowed to exact revenge against Barry for cheating him out of what is rightfully his. If anyone would have motive and a vendetta to murder it would be Kerry, having recently as September lost another round of his legal battle for a share of the Apotex fortune.

"In August 2007, the court heard the suit against Kerry. His lawyer, Malcolm Kronby, argued that Sherman was acting vindictively. The judge still ruled in Sherman’s favour and Kerry had to surrender two business properties, a cottage and his home on Bellwoods Avenue. Kerry agreed to stay on as a tenant, paying $2,500 a month. Even this sum could be hard to come by. His construction company was shrinking while he continued to obsess over justice and riches.

Kerry Winter.
Kerry winter admits that for many years Sherman was “like a surrogate dad and I was like an adopted son.” Now, perhaps because he feels most betrayed, he leads his family litigation and, going against his legal advice, feeds stories to the press. His lawyers told him not to talk to me, and for more than a year we communicated like spies. He would secretly transmit documents if I promised not to tell Kronby. He’d call me with various rants: “For me it isn’t about shekels, it’s about revenge!” Dozens of emails passed between us. He accused me of falling for “Sherman’s spin” if I hesitated before contacting people he recommended. Once, when I didn’t reply fast enough, he accused me of being out for dinner with Honey and Barry. Twice, after I sent questions in advance to both Kerry and Kronby, Kerry backed out of our scheduled interview. Finally, last March, we met.

He arrived at the Starbucks near his Trinity Bellwoods home, a tall, ruddy-faced, boyish-looking 46-year-old. He had just come from seeing his uncle, Wayne Rockcliffe, who had once again come to his aid, promising to cover Kerry’s $2,500 rent that month if needed. I was surprised. A recent Globe and Mail article had reported Rockcliffe’s advice that the cousins move on with their lives. Later, when I spoke with Rockcliffe, he complained that the reporter had omitted a crucial qualifier: “Perhaps if I’d had their terrible start in life, I’d think differently.” Rockcliffe has his own reason to dislike what he calls “Barry’s cold heart.” Forty-three years ago, when they shared a limo at Beverley’s funeral, Rockcliffe said it would be a shame if the Orphan Children were adopted separately. Sherman’s reply, he claims, was, “So what? Worse things could happen.” Rockcliffe says he can’t forgive him. Sherman denies ever having said anything to that effect.

Sipping his coffee, Kerry explained that he was firing his lawyers. “They always tried to shut me up. Well, they’re finished.” He drew his finger across his throat. He thinks that because his lawyers are Jewish they hesitated to go after Barry in the press, afraid of being shunned by their community. He claims there was a breakdown of trust.

According to Kerry, Stan Garden and Rockcliffe aren’t the only people on his side. He says several of Sherman’s business enemies want him to win. As he spoke to me, his face reddened and his voice rose. “If Barry had his way, I’d be eating cold french fries out of a Dumpster at KFC. Well, Barry, that’s just not going to happen.” He rapped his knuckles on the table and leaned in close. He vowed he’d be Sherman’s “nemesis,” saying that for him this was “a lifelong mission.” He expressed fear for his personal safety and, pointing a finger in my face, warned: “By the way, sweetie, you’re next.” By this time, he was shouting. He imagines Sherman at the courtroom door, begging to settle. “I’ll go to trial, sweetie,” he growled. “I’m not going away.” Then he put on his coat and walked out without another word.

We met a second time, same place. I asked Kerry about the effects of drugs on his life. He said he’s been clean for the past four years, “except for weed.” He said he once told Barry that he might have given up the drugs earlier if he’d known it might have made him a multimillionaire."

https://torontolife.com/from-the-archiv ... -archives/

I believe Kerry Winter is behind the murders of his cousin Barry and Honey Sherman. He had motive. He despised them for what he perceives as slights and injustices brought about by rendering him basically destitute. He has pretty much exhausted his appeals. The court has ruled his legal case is a frivolous one. Since he couldn't get justice in a court of law he decided to exact vengeance on his terms by murdering the cousin who stole his inheritance and those of his brothers.

Who has the colder, more calculating heart? Whatever anyone says about Barry Sherman he was no murderer. His cousin, Kerry on the other hand, may have gotten away with the perfect crime.

The Shermans were wearing their winter coats and boots when they were found hanging side by side. They had just returned in separate cars from meeting with the architects for the building of their new retirement home. Honey may have arrived home first, followed by her husband. They had to have been ambushed by someone, more likely a pair of assassins, lying in wait for them as they drove into their underground garage. They hadn't even had time to take their coats off after arriving home when they were strangled and left hanging from the railing by the basement pool.

There is no way Barry could have done that to himself, let alone his wife.

The assassins may have been hired hitmen to do the 'job.' Hopefully the law enforcement and/or the children's private detectives will be able to catch the killers in this. Kerry Winter should be at the top of the "whodunnit" list for a prime suspect.

An FBI detective who was interviewed for this case told the CBC that whoever is behind this murder of the Shermans is someone who knows the family well, and is an insider - not a stranger to them.

Another red flag for the Winter boys, Kerry in particular; who resorted to murder when he couldn't win in the courts. It is his way of 'payback' to cousin Barry for cutting him off of the pipeline.
Newbie
Dec 25, 2017
4 posts
And vowing his revenge - that it was more about getting 'justice' than it was shekels.

If anyone had motive and opportunity with the angst to carry out the homicides, it was Winter.
Sr. Member
Mar 23, 2006
854 posts
128 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 1:49 pm
I was surprised to hear that they were good friends. D'Angelo's companies, Steelback Breweries and D'Angelo Brands, were funded to the tune of a combined $120M by Barry Sherman. Things were not going well in 2008 and Steelback and D'Angelo Brands were facing bankruptcy so Sherman replaced D'Angelo with his son Jonathon Sherman, who tried to change the direction of the companies but sales continued to be poor and they were shut down in early 2010, less than 2 years after he took over. Barry Sherman lost more money on those craft brewery investments than the entire annual sales revenue from Ontario craft breweries (https://www.thestar.com/business/2010/0 ... eport.html). So, it's surprising that Angelo claims Barry was his best friend and they talked daily, not to mention opposite personalities as you point out. I would think Barry would be smarting from that investment, not to mention they had entirely different backgrounds and were in entirely different industries. What would they talk about 9 years after Barry Sherman terminated D'Angelo? Sherman wasn't known for small talk. Odd, but perhaps its true.
yes, it was very confusing for me. I was doing a little reading and came across this old article from 10 years ago and they were both connected from business investment. I personally thought it was risky investment and couldn't even believe Sherman would be an investor in beer. The only thing I can think of is that Sherman liked Steelback beer and it was also probably true the both of them were good friends so he invested in his business ventures.

https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/11/04 ... ngelo.html
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12385 posts
3006 upvotes
Here 'n There
Pamalou wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 4:36 pm
And vowing his revenge - that it was more about getting 'justice' than it was shekels.

If anyone had motive and opportunity with the angst to carry out the homicides, it was Winter.
Totally agree. As one ex-homicide detective put it on CP24, they were 'displayed' on the railing in the way they were because someone wanted to make a 'statement'. That they were found that way was not initially shared with the media when the initial murder-suicide reports came out. He also said that he thought it was the work of someone known to the family. I too believe that it is most likely to be the case and of the Winter children Kerry is the prime suspect. Another possibility is that it was a Pharma competitor, but the latter, while plausible, seems much less likely as Sherman has been a formidable competitor for so many years and nothing has happened and while competitors have hired detectives to infiltrate Apotex and snooped around the company a lot I don't think murder is in their arsenal.

The fact that this happened only a few scant months after the Winters lost their latest legal battle seems hardly coincidental. I also think they killers slipped in when the Shermans came home on the Wednesday night and likely were already dead that night. I say killers because it would take 2 people to subdue both of them at the same time. They couldn't take the chance that one ran away and called the police or was being attacked by one of the Shermans while they were trying to strangle the other one.
Last edited by eonibm on Dec 26th, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie
Dec 25, 2017
4 posts
It was reported as 5.4 m American dollars in US publications. In Canadian the house was listed for 6.9m.

I doubt it is still for sale since it became a crime scene. The children may wish to preserve it for now since it was their family home as well.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12385 posts
3006 upvotes
Here 'n There
fastmiele wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 5:18 pm
yes, it was very confusing for me. I was doing a little reading and came across this old article from 10 years ago and they were both connected from business investment. I personally thought it was risky investment and couldn't even believe Sherman would be an investor in beer. The only thing I can think of is that Sherman liked Steelback beer and it was also probably true the both of them were good friends so he invested in his business ventures.

https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/11/04 ... ngelo.html
I think Sherman invested before the beer started being produced. He provided the seed money as he owned the plant that D'Angelo acquired in order to produce the beer in the first place. He didn't know D'Angelo personally before he was approached to sell the plant so it was not out of friendship.
Sr. Member
Mar 27, 2015
938 posts
243 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Pamalou wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 6:11 pm
It was reported as 5.4 m American dollars in US publications. In Canadian the house was listed for 6.9m.

I doubt it is still for sale since it became a crime scene. The children may wish to preserve it for now since it was their family home as well.
I disagree. That house is going to be bulldozed. As it would have been even if they had not been killed. It was land value only, really.
Member
Mar 6, 2014
390 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
When my parents (who came from Asia) read the story, the first question they asked was - if this was not a suicide, where were the Sherman's bodyguards?

In Asia, it is common practice in Asia for even remotely wealthy families to have bodyguards, but it doesn't appear to be a common thing over here in Canada.

Back in Asia, both of my grandparents have strongmen that hang around, and they are nowhere near wealthy. My grandfather on my mom's side hired 2 off-duty police officers and they would escort my grandfather around if he needs to take money from his business to the bank. On my dad's side, my grandpa had a guy who works as his driver and shadows him around - he is not a particularly big guy but he carried a gun. This was in the 60-70's when crime rates are higher and muscles were cheap.

I understand that Canada is a safe place to live and kidnapping/ransom is rare, but I often see some very high profile big money people traveling by themselves. This makes me scratch my head, if you have billions of dollars and there is a chance that someone can harm you, why not spend a few hundred thousand dollars and buy a peace of mind?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
10641 posts
1025 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Statistics101 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 11:06 pm
When my parents (who came from Asia) read the story, the first question they asked was - if this was not a suicide, where were the Sherman's bodyguards?

In Asia, it is common practice in Asia for even remotely wealthy families to have bodyguards, but it doesn't appear to be a common thing over here in Canada.

Back in Asia, both of my grandparents have strongmen that hang around, and they are nowhere near wealthy. My grandfather on my mom's side hired 2 off-duty police officers and they would escort my grandfather around if he needs to take money from his business to the bank. On my dad's side, my grandpa had a guy who works as his driver and shadows him around - he is not a particularly big guy but he carried a gun. This was in the 60-70's when crime rates are higher and muscles were cheap.

I understand that Canada is a safe place to live and kidnapping/ransom is rare, but I often see some very high profile big money people traveling by themselves. This makes me scratch my head, if you have billions of dollars and there is a chance that someone can harm you, why not spend a few hundred thousand dollars and buy a peace of mind?
Becuz wealthy peeps can be the most cheap and frugal people you've ever met. No different with the Shermans. One look at the real estate pics says it all. Spendthrifts they were not. By a long shot.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING

Top