Off Topic

Apotex billionaire found dead at home in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2018 2:30 pm
Mar 27, 2015
975 posts
259 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I'm betting this is going to be one of those cases where in time it fades from memory and we never hear another word about it. That doesn't mean they don't know who did it, but for whatever reason it won't be made public.
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
222 upvotes
garytheduke wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 7:22 pm
In the pharmaceutical industry lawsuits are business as usual. When a generic company wins a lawsuit against a brand name they get 6 months exclusivity to sell their product in the market. This can be extremely lucrative with no other generic competitors. This is why numerous lawsuits by generic companies are always ongoing hoping to win that market exclusivity.
Interesting. Thanks for the tidbit.
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12537 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:13 pm
I'm betting this is going to be one of those cases where in time it fades from memory and we never hear another word about it. That doesn't mean they don't know who did it, but for whatever reason it won't be made public.
What you write makes less than zero sense. If they know who did it then that person has to be charged with the crime and it becomes public. If no one is charged with the crime then they don't know who did it or it was a murder-suicide.
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
154 upvotes
Mississauga
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:13 pm
Where I'm from, once people from the government put their hands on it, you'll never hear/ know ANYTHING about it ever again.

The connections with Trudeau and now Tory's entered the picture makes me cringe.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4187 posts
1258 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:14 pm
But maybe the family is just butt hurt that their billionaire hot shot dad simply just offed himself and his wife like a poor depressed smoe. And they have difficulty coming to terms with that.
I would not be surprised if the family had an insurance policy on the Father (as he was the main breadwinner).

Unfortunately, one of the stipulations of not paying was likely in the case of suicide.

Now, the lawyer and the hired team is trying to convince everyone it wasn't suicide because the family loses quite a bit if it was.

If you read the article they are trying to say things that point to it not being a suicide. I surmise it is because of an insurance payout.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12537 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
Toronto Sun, quoting the Sherman's lawyer stating the obvious: WARMINGTON: Someone could have entered Sherman's home: Lawyer

The one new fact that revealed in this article is that there was a realtor lockbox with a key in it at the front door. That doesn't really add much to the story though. Someone could have picked that lock just as well as they could have picked the front door or any other door lock on the house or slipped in through the garage when the Sherman's returned.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12537 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
Barry and Honey Sherman: Toronto police continue to guard house 4 weeks after couple’s deaths

Mike McCormack, president of the Toronto Police Association, told Global News the constant protection of the property has added to front-line staffing issues....

Mayor John Tory, who also sits on the Toronto Police Services Board, was asked about the concerns being raised on Thursday.

“This is a major crime, or suspicious crime scene, and you have to protect the scene while there is an investigation going on, but I think they have recognized – and I think this is the responsibility of the chief – that there could be other ways to do this.”
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12537 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
"It's been a huge demand on police resources," Mr. McCormack said, calling a month an unusual length of time to hold a scene.

"Our members are saying: 'This is ridiculous. We're being tied up each and every day. This is going on indefinitely. We don't know when this is going to conclude. And in the meantime, we're concerned about other people on our shift who are going out there trying to do patrol, respond to calls, all the other components of policing, and we just don't have the resources.'"

Toronto police surveillance of Sherman home putting ‘huge demand’ on resources, police union head says
Mar 27, 2015
975 posts
259 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
The news tonight reports that a second vehicle was removed from the home. A month after this happened. Shouldn't they have done this already?
Apr 14, 2017
394 posts
118 upvotes
DT Calgary
This case will never be solved. What a farce.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12537 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
FreshCo wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 10:20 pm
This case will never be solved. What a farce.
An investigation is a farce? Hardly. The police have spent an incredible amount of time and resources on this investigation. How is that a farce? It's the total opposite!
Apr 14, 2017
394 posts
118 upvotes
DT Calgary
eonibm wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 1:14 pm
An investigation is a farce? Hardly. The police have spent an incredible amount of time and resources on this investigation. How is that a farce? It's the total opposite!
And yet they've released information they shouldn't have when they had no idea what happened. They initially said it was a murder-suicide, now its a double homicide. I honestly feel like they have no idea what happened, and the family agrees.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12561 posts
1327 upvotes
It was a professional hit by a paid assassin due to possibly numerous litigation between Apotex and one of the large pharma manufacturers. Pissed off the wrong people.
Mar 6, 2014
416 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 1:14 pm
A lot of times in an investigation of an major crime, the public and the media only have a very small fraction of the information which is available to the police. The police have no obligation to inform the public of any information or specifics, especially if it could compromise their investigation.