Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] Airport Extreme 802.11ac (refurbished) back in stock ($169)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2017 3:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13894 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto

[Apple] Airport Extreme 802.11ac (refurbished) back in stock ($169)

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/FE ... rt-extreme

The Apple 6th generation Airport Extreme with 802.11ac is back in stock. There are good WiFi routers out there that are cheaper, but if you have a lot of Apple stuff, these are great. The one feature I like with these is if you have an all Apple-based WiFi setup, any Mac and iOS devices you have as clients will seamlessly roam amongst the various units. This seamless roaming doesn't work if you use non-Apple WiFi access points.

Normal price $249, refurb price $169. I've been looking on Kijiji, and around here, used ones with no warranty are $140 and up. No thanks. Just yesterday and earlier in the week, the refurbs were unavailable, but this afternoon they are available.

I currently have a 3 access point setup in my big, odd-shaped house with a 6th generation 802.11ac Airport Extreme, a 5th generation 802.11n Airport Extreme (which has lower range), and an old 2nd generation 802.11n Airport Express. It works well, but the speed and range of the old Airport Express isn't great. I will replace that Airport Express with an Airport Extreme.
44 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2378 posts
1199 upvotes
Markham
Can you convert this to a time machine by adding internal HDD or Apple has killed the internal SATA connector?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13894 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 4:05 pm
Can you convert this to a time machine by adding internal HDD or Apple has killed the internal SATA connector?
Didn't know you could do that.
Jan 12, 2007
183 posts
15 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 3:46 pm

The Apple 6th generation Airport Extreme with 802.11ac is back in stock. There are good WiFi routers out there that are cheaper, but if you have a lot of Apple stuff, these are great. The one feature I like with these is if you have an all Apple-based WiFi setup, any Mac and iOS devices you have as clients will seamlessly roam amongst the various units. This seamless roaming doesn't work if you use non-Apple WiFi access points.

Normal price $249, refurb price $169. I've been looking on Kijiji, and around here, used ones with no warranty are $140 and up. No thanks. Just yesterday and earlier in the week, the refurbs were unavailable, but this afternoon they are available.

I currently have a 3 access point setup in my big, odd-shaped house with a 6th generation 802.11ac Airport Extreme, a 5th generation 802.11n Airport Extreme (which has lower range), and an old 2nd generation 802.11n Airport Express. It works well, but the speed and range of the old Airport Express isn't great. I will replace that Airport Express with an Airport Extreme.
What mode are the older airports in? Is it extend a network ? Does your bandwidth take a hit ?
Dec 8, 2009
574 posts
103 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 3:46 pm

I have one 2TB time capsule (latest gen) and AirPort Extreme (latest gen) as extended. I set it up more than year ago and never had issues or downtime except during firmware update. It's sad to hear rumor that Apple abandon its router team. In the past had many routers and always had some issues and reboot needed once a while. Apple airport is really solid product where you set it once and forget forever. I belief many RFDers love to poke around their routers all the time and install wrt . So they may not like Apple router.
Nov 13, 2009
5 posts
Toronto
I bought one of these and am really happy with its performance.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13894 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
vancdeals wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 5:12 pm
What mode are the older airports in? Is it extend a network ? Does your bandwidth take a hit ?
Yes and no. They are extending the network but they're all hooked up via Gigabit Ethernet. So full bandwidth. I've been fine with 802.11n actually, but I'm upgrading a bunch of hardware this year and of course the mobile stuff will be 802.11ac. For my iPads and iPhones it doesn't matter that much but for my laptop it will make a big difference. I'm sick of plugging in my MacBook Pro for large file transfers, but it was an old model with 802.11n only anyway. I'll stick one of the Airport Extremes in my home office, where I use the laptop the most.
Jan 12, 2007
183 posts
15 upvotes
I see.. I wish I could connect via Ethernet but my house is not wired, so I was looking to see how to add an access point to AirPort Extreme (wirelessly). This has not worked so far, bought the Tplink router to turn it to wireless access point but doesn't seem work with AirPort Extreme.

I do have an airport express connected wirelessly as a client. I use it for airplay..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13894 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
vancdeals wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 7:13 pm
I see.. I wish I could connect via Ethernet but my house is not wired, so I was looking to see how to add an access point to AirPort Extreme (wirelessly). This has not worked so far, bought the Tplink router to turn it to wireless access point but doesn't seem work with AirPort Extreme.

I do have an airport express connected wirelessly as a client. I use it for airplay..
You can use multiple Apple Airports to extend a network wirelessly, but you see a bandwidth hit as you know. Or you can use multiple non-Apple access points, but the same brand for all the network is preferred. Mixing Apple and non-Apple access points does not work.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1780 posts
185 upvotes
Kitchener
If you're using this as your base router and are invested in the Apple ecosystem, wouldn't the Refurbished Airport Time Capsule (2TB) be a better deal at $229? $60 more for a 2TB backup drive basically.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2252 posts
823 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm tempted to buy this Apple router, but the recent news about Apple disbanding their router development team has me concerned about future firmware releases.

For people that already own this router, is this thing rock solid?
Sep 9, 2012
552 posts
96 upvotes
Edmonton
The one feature I like with these is if you have an all Apple-based WiFi setup, any Mac and iOS devices you have as clients will seamlessly roam amongst the various units. This seamless roaming doesn't work if you use non-Apple WiFi access points.

Ubiquiti?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13894 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
Spinner wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 3:27 am
I'm tempted to buy this Apple router, but the recent news about Apple disbanding their router development team has me concerned about future firmware releases.

For people that already own this router, is this thing rock solid?
Rock solid.
imkinger wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 4:00 am
Ubiquiti?
Yes, the Ubiquiti UniFi is an option, and it has the advantage of doing seamless handoff with all clients (not just Apple's) because the seamless handoff is handled by the controller software of the access points themselves. In fact, I had looked at these several years ago. Unfortunately, at that time, the 802.11ac compatible units were really expensive, and there were software issues with the 802.11ac models. Only the 802.11n one worked properly, and were still expensive too.

I see now the prices of the 802.11ac models have come down dramatically, and the software has most of the bugs ironed out. However, I see in some of the reviews that ironically the software settings really have to be fiddled with to make Apple products work well with them, which is the exact opposite of what I want. I just want something that is braindead easy to work with with Apple clients, so it's not a surprise that the Apple WiFi routers fit this role. Plus, I already had an old 802.11n Extreme and a new 802.11ac Extreme so adding another refurb 802.11ac Extreme was an easy decision, considering I don't have to buy 3 (or even 4) brand new UniFi access points.

However, when my 802.11ac setup needs to be replaced, I may consider the UniFi or other similar type setups.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13894 posts
2256 upvotes
Toronto
cadave wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 12:47 am
If you're using this as your base router and are invested in the Apple ecosystem, wouldn't the Refurbished Airport Time Capsule (2TB) be a better deal at $229? $60 more for a 2TB backup drive basically.
One reason I want fast WiFi network transfers is because most of my data is on a NAS*. The NAS backs up daily to an external SATA drive, and also daily to a second cheap NAS in another room across the Gigabit network.

I'd get a Time Capsule if I could backup my iPhone pictures to it, but I cant. So a Time Capsule doesn't have much use for me. Lame that Time Capsule doesn't work with iOS devices.

*Synology NASes are great. Super stable, and very easy to configure. Awesome interface. And the ones I got are very low power and quiet. Up front cost for fast ones isn't cheap though. Ironically, apparently Synology just introduced iPhone photo backup to Synology NASes. I will have to give that a whirl.
May 24, 2011
898 posts
190 upvotes
BC
These have been restocked periodically for a while now...with Apple rumoured to cease development of their AirPort devices...might not be worth shelling out so much for this old hardware vs what you can get now from other companies, especially with popularity of mesh networks coming