Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Apple

Apple Airport Extreme (Refurbished) Back In Stock - $169.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 2:31 pm
Oct 13, 2013
213 posts
124 upvotes
St Catharines

[Apple] Apple Airport Extreme (Refurbished) Back In Stock - $169.99

Apple Airport Extreme is back in stock on apple.ca. The refurbished Airport Extremes usually sell out very fast. For anyone that is not aware Apple refurbished is like new quality. This Router still stacks up well against all its competitors out there. Ive had my airport express for 7 years now, so I purchased the extreme and use the express in bridge mode.

Apple Routers are known as "set it and forget it", its a shame they don't develop new Airports any more :(

Last time it was in stock was early 2017. I posted the link for the old thread below....

apple-airport-extreme-802-11ac-refurbis ... 9-2073816/
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
i used this router for many many years and it was great

however if i was spending more than $80 or so today on a router i'd suck it up and get one of the new Mesh systems (a lot more money though)
Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
milolai wrote: i used this router for many many years and it was great

however if i was spending more than $80 or so today on a router i'd suck it up and get one of the new Mesh systems (a lot more money though)
This. There's many better routers that can be had for the money. Also, dd-wrt has a lot of really great features that Airport Express doesn't. Buying a dd-wrt compatible router will give you a lot more bang for the buck.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1136 posts
634 upvotes
Can anyone recommend solid router to old airport extreme ( set it and forget it, bought more than 3yrs ago and never had issues except firmware updates ). I like to have the new MESH router, not sure how reliable?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
echo_jey wrote: Can anyone recommend solid router to old airport extreme ( set it and forget it, bought more than 3yrs ago and never had issues except firmware updates ). I like to have the new MESH router, not sure how reliable?
i have the google wifi - it is amazing
i've never adjusted it once since setup.

it is everything my old airport extreme was but better in every which way.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1820 posts
700 upvotes
Canada
These airport extremes are past their prime. stick with mesh like Google Wifi, it's amazing
==
Telus iPhone 11 Pro
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
pdipps wrote: This. There's many better routers that can be had for the money. Also, dd-wrt has a lot of really great features that Airport Express doesn't. Buying a dd-wrt compatible router will give you a lot more bang for the buck.
Does DD-WTR have Time Machine support?
Feb 22, 2015
190 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary, AB
How does Google mesh compare to advanced routers such as RT-AC3100?

You can't attach any network storage to Google mesh system, eh?
Dec 11, 2009
465 posts
417 upvotes
New Westminster
Synology routers support time machine backups and are very good!
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
derekmcl wrote: Synology routers support time machine backups and are very good!
Synology routers?? Crazy, did not know! thanks i'll check it out.
May 13, 2009
483 posts
647 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
tatung wrote: Synology routers?? Crazy, did not know! thanks i'll check it out.
Synology NAS as well. My Time Machine is on my Synology DS213J and I Have an Asus Nighthawk Router. Just throwing it out there that you can buy whatever router you want and that it is not dependent on it.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
juniorkid wrote: Synology NAS as well. My Time Machine is on my Synology DS213J and I Have an Asus Nighthawk Router. Just throwing it out there that you can buy whatever router you want and that it is not dependent on it.
Do you have to create a partition on a drive to use time machine on a Synology? Or just a folder on a drive is ok?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Have one of these for my condo and love it. Very much set it and forget it.

I'm sure you can do better with a mesh system but these are definitely most hassle-free and easy to set up.
May 13, 2009
483 posts
647 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
tatung wrote: Do you have to create a partition on a drive to use time machine on a Synology? Or just a folder on a drive is ok?
You just need to create a shared folder on your Synology NAS, then you enable Time Machine service, and point it to the folder you just created.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... me_Machine

You can skip the creation of a "Time Machine User" and just an existing account, so it's really a few clicks. I personally use the same login and password on my Mac as my Synology as a regular user. Makes things easier.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1440 posts
816 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Ecsta wrote: Have one of these for my condo and love it. Very much set it and forget it.

I'm sure you can do better with a mesh system but these are definitely most hassle-free and easy to set up.
This. I've been using it problem free at my apartment for at least the last couple of years now. And my Time Capsule version has the added the benefit of automatic backups.
Beware the RFD Effect
Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
tatung wrote: Does DD-WTR have Time Machine support?
Don't think so, but personally, I'd rather have a dedicated NAS than plugging an HD into a router and using time machine. Much more functionality, and much more robust in terms of security and redundancy.

Not to mention, there's something to be said about modularity - if my router dies or goes wonky, I don't need to worry that my NAS is going to go corrupt. And if I want to upgrade one item and not the other, I can do it my own schedule.

TL;DR - don't use on-router Time Machine, get a NAS.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1247 posts
521 upvotes
Calgary
if you already have apple airport extreme, the mesh setup between them is the best. I have tried with other repeaters. I can get maybe 50Mbps....I just picked up a AC extreme from kijiji for 80. Set it up as mesh...wow...consistant 150-200Mbps! I am thinking about running a direct ethernet to it to make it even better,
Jan 12, 2007
461 posts
170 upvotes
frostiex wrote: if you already have apple airport extreme, the mesh setup between them is the best. I have tried with other repeaters. I can get maybe 50Mbps....I just picked up a AC extreme from kijiji for 80. Set it up as mesh...wow...consistant 150-200Mbps! I am thinking about running a direct ethernet to it to make it even better,
How do you set up a mesh system between two Airport Extreme routers? I thought they could only extend the network which means it may be a more stable connection but cuts throughput.
Jun 12, 2012
204 posts
34 upvotes
frostiex wrote: if you already have apple airport extreme, the mesh setup between them is the best. I have tried with other repeaters. I can get maybe 50Mbps....I just picked up a AC extreme from kijiji for 80. Set it up as mesh...wow...consistant 150-200Mbps! I am thinking about running a direct ethernet to it to make it even better,
Setting up mesh with two AC extreme? how? can you explain? Thank you
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2007
1247 posts
521 upvotes
Calgary
Sorry, I should clarify. To me, Mesh vs extension is the same idea. Some manufacturer claim to use a backbone antenna; which I am not sure how true that is. BUT even using a backbone radio. you are getting a delayed processing of the devices. It really is JUST a fancy way of "range extending". Plus, if you use home kit, I feel they work better, At least I was getting constant disconnects with them until now.
Anyways, I did just extend it. However, the speed cutting was also a concern for me. So I tried anyway to see how well it works. Again in my HT area, I am getting consistently 150-200 Mbps which is the best I have seen and I have been checking every night the past 2 weeks.

Anyway if you play with the interface of the airport utility; you can see what device connected to what. So I moved to the basement, and make sure I am connected to the closest router and the speed was the same as before. Transfer between 80-100MBs (sorry for mixing the Mbps vs MBs) cuz in the theatre room; my concern was streaming 4K which the speed test was done via speedtest.net app. whereas, in the basement is more about transferring between my NAS and servers.

Conclusion: Airport extreme does slow it down, but only to the clients at the extended router and not the other. But the drawback is not a concern and the connection in the HT is better than ever!!

I may be wrong, there are many different bands used by the wifi router, I feel they may just use software to force these "mesh" router to talk to each other on a specific band and leave the active band for users.
Which I don't see why Apple can't do to improve the connectivity between its own routers. Anyways, mesh and extender is the same coin different side. But, I think I may just go forward and run the line in the future, but in the mean time. I am happy with what I have :D

Update: Look here for whcih uses backbone / backhaul technology.
Last edited by frostiex on Dec 8th, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)