Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP) QUESTIONS

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 12:10 pm
[OP]
Oct 2, 2005
170 posts
8 upvotes

Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP) QUESTIONS

My friend's employer gave him an iphone to use for company purposes. He didn't like the iphone and sold it and use the money to purchase another device. Later discovered that the iphone's imei # is deployed to the mobile device management (MDM) with dep system (something like that).

1. Will the company knows he is not using the iphone?
2. Will the company knows he got rid of the device and someone else is using it?
2. Does the system able to track other IMEI# or specifically for iphone ?

He is thinking of contacting the buyer to buy back the iphone. Should he?

Thanks.

Update:

All good.......my friend didn't get fired and apparently it was fine by the company. Everyone here need to relax. Yes, it was wrong of him to do what he did however, every company is different and no need to judge. The whole point of the posting was asking question and not weather or not that person did is right or wrong. I'm sure some haters will say...... what kind of company will allow that type of behavior - it must be doing criminal activities.....NO------ an understanding company. Thanks. Have yourself a fantastic day !

Red Flag Support: I tried deleting the post however, it didn't work. I want to stop receiving "ridiculous" respond from people in this forum. Already provided an update to the questions however, I still have people that are VERY immature and RUDE responding to my post. Honestly, these people should be "BANNED" from your portal. If they did it to me than they're doing to others. They are simply "RUDE!"
Last edited by leannoon on Jan 12th, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
11 replies
Nov 20, 2005
985 posts
211 upvotes
YMMV. Not really answering your questions specifically, but It's certainly possible as most companies will push the company security policies to the phone.

Your friend should try to get the phone back since it's company property. If he leaves or gets laid off, he will have to return the phone.

Good Luck.
Sep 27, 2003
8514 posts
1735 upvotes
Newmarket
@leannoon,

DEP is an Apple program which officially identifies a device as belonging to a Corporation. This takes MDM to a whole new level by providing MDM administrators a much higher set of rules and restrictions that can be enforced on a handset, along with other unique deployment capabilities. Assuming the company has enabled the option preventing an end user from de-enrolling the device from MDM, and if the company has not "disowned" the DEP enabled device, no one else can use the device. This is a part of the security of DEP. Upon wipe, the device would automatically attempt to reconnect to the company's infrastructure (and in most cases, ask for the employee's credentials to proceed).

1. Assuming the friend is using Exchange / O365, then yes, technology exists to check whether or not the employee is using the approved device or not on the infrastructure. There are also technologies in place to prevent unauthorized devices from hitting the company's Exchange / O365 infrastructure. Also, most devices enrolled in MDM "call home" regularly. The admins likely have it set up to receive an alert once a device goes "inactive" (aka, doesn't call home) after a period of time.

2. They may not necessarily know he "got rid" of the device; however, a DEP enabled device could be forced into a special Lost Mode which would allow the company to geo-locate the device if connected to WiFi or Cellular.

3. I don't understand this question, but I think I've provided enough insight for you to know the answer.

Yes, he should reobtain the phone and give it back to his employer. In Apple's eyes, it is Corporate property until such point the company "disowns" the device from the DEP program.

BTW; DEP stands for Device Enrollment Program - I've corrected your subject.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
16193 posts
4708 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I’m surprised your ‘friend’ is even capable of getting a job that gives him a company phone with that level of intelligence. He sold a phone that wasn’t even his property to begin with?

Come on man.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Nov 29, 2017
136 posts
98 upvotes
It doesn’t matter if it’s tracked or not, ultimately the company owns the phone, it’s their property, the smart thing would be to get it back ASAP. Just because one doesn’t like their company’s property, it doesn’t give them the right to change or sell it without permission.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16849 posts
1107 upvotes
Niagara Falls
At what point would any employee think it's appropriate to sell company property?

Your friend 100% should buy the phone back. I'm going to assume the company put a MDM on that device and if the did, as soon as the new person tries to wipe the phone they are going to need login credentials to get passed the setup.
Mar 13, 2012
374 posts
78 upvotes
Near You
Your "friend" is screwed. He just sold company property for personal gain. I am not a lawyer, but I think this is theft. Better hope the company doesn't find out :P

If you can recover the phone, you should. Best do it before the IT department realizes the phone is AWOL.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
1278 posts
390 upvotes
Canada
Your friend isn’t very smart and is also in some trouble with his employer.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
16193 posts
4708 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
good to hear it worked out in the end.

I wish my company let me sell their assets. I'd sell my desk and chair on kijiji and buy one of these bad boys:

Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5027 posts
1827 upvotes
So I get a company car, but I really wanted a Tesla...
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2409 posts
906 upvotes
Ottawa
leannoon wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:37 pm
My friend's employer gave him an iphone to use for company purposes. He didn't like the iphone and sold it and use the money to purchase another device. Later discovered that the iphone's imei # is deployed to the mobile device management (MDM) with dep system (something like that).

1. Will the company knows he is not using the iphone?
No. It's for device enrollment only. However, the MDM most likely WILL notice the phone is not being used. Whether an administrator will notice is another question. [/quote]
2. Will the company knows he got rid of the device and someone else is using it?
No, but the buyer probably will depending on how DEP is setup, and it will show up in Apples system if they go to an Apple store.
2. Does the system able to track other IMEI# or specifically for iphone ?
Oh most definitely.
He is thinking of contacting the buyer to buy back the iphone. Should he?
Selling company property would most definitely be something the company could terminate him for - it's theft.
Update:

All good.......my friend didn't get fired and apparently it was fine by the company.
Serves me right for answering all the questions because the update is at the bottom and not at the top. SIgh.

He's lucky - he could have easily been fired, "understanding" company or not.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
16193 posts
4708 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
9394 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 2:27 pm
So I get a company car, but I really wanted a Tesla...
kijiji
RIP sick fadez.