Hot Deals

[Apple] iCloud Storage 2TB now $12.99 per month, lower if iTunes Gift Cards used

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2017 6:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23845 posts
5056 upvotes
GTHA

[Apple] iCloud Storage 2TB now $12.99 per month, lower if iTunes Gift Cards used

from http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple ... price-cut/

Apple quietly announced a change to iCloud storage pricing, as the company eliminated its 1TB option, while slashing the price of its 2TB option by 50% to $12.99, which was the price of the former.

Also, Apple says those customers who had purchased a 1TB plan prior to June 5, 2017, will get a free automatic upgrade to the 2TB plan:

"If you purchased a 1TB monthly plan before June 5, 2017, your account was upgraded automatically to a 2TB monthly plan."

Here’s what the old pricing scheme for Canada looked like as of May 24, 2017:
- 1TB: $12.99
- 2TB: $25.99

... and the new updated pricing:
- 1TB: n/a
- 2TB: $12.99

The 50GB option remains at $1.29 CAD per month, so the 2TB plan at $12.99 looks like a much better deal for family and heavy users. The 2TB storage option launched last fall ahead of the company’s iPhone 7 event.

TechCrunch says the 200GB and 2TB options will soon be allowed to share with families once iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra are released this fall.

How to save 20% off your iCloud storage plan? Fund your Apple account with iTunes gift cards when they are 20% off at Costco.

Official iTunes Gift Card deal thread
official-20-now-15-off-itunes-card-thre ... e-1121136/
28 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
1447 posts
529 upvotes
they need a $2.59 Plan for like 256 gig ...... which would be reasonable and attractive for people with phones that size

most people don't want to shell out that much for backup ....

i have the 1.29 plan right now for 50 gigs and it's maxed out easily cause my phone is 128gig .....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8452 posts
479 upvotes
How does iCloud work? You just open the app on wifi and it automatically backs up the ORIGINAL photos? Which you would thus download from iCloud onto a portable hard drive on your laptop? Right now I use amazon drive, however the software kinda sucks and the organizational aspect of it is terrible. But its $60 a year for UNLIMITED photos/video which I like.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23845 posts
5056 upvotes
GTHA
aquariaguy wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 10:46 pm
How does iCloud work? You just open the app on wifi and it automatically backs up the ORIGINAL photos? Which you would thus download from iCloud onto a portable hard drive on your laptop?
Read iCloud Photo Library
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

Automatically uploads to iCloud each time your device connects to Wi-Fi and your battery is charged.

Photos and videos are stored in iCloud exactly as you took them. All of your images are held in their original formats at full resolution — JPEG, RAW, PNG, GIF, TIFF, and MP4, as well as special formats you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, 4K videos, and Live Photos.

You can download your photos and videos from iCloud.com to your computer and store them as a separate library, transfer them to another computer with Image Capture or Photos, or store them on a separate drive.

Also can set up and use iCloud Photo Library on a Windows PC
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205323
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
1897 posts
396 upvotes
pongster wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 10:44 pm
they need a $2.59 Plan for like 256 gig ...... which would be reasonable and attractive for people with phones that size

i have the 1.29 plan right now for 50 gigs and it's maxed out easily cause my phone is 128gig .....
oh, but then it would be too easy without giving them a chance to rip you off a little at every turn :)
Nov 22, 2015
146 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Isnt Google Photos back up unlimited?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18711 posts
2224 upvotes
Poormond Hill
With regards to these "Cloud" storage facilities, if I happened to stop paying the monthly fees, would I be able to access my photos or they become the domain of Apple?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Apr 14, 2017
51 posts
28 upvotes
Vasilyke wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 6:46 am
But it doesn't start with "i"
Jul 16, 2002
236 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
Vasilyke wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 6:46 am
I believe google compresses photos when it syncs to google photo cloud storage.
Autobots, Transform and Roll Out!
May 30, 2015
456 posts
129 upvotes
Puff wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 7:05 am
I believe google compresses photos when it syncs to google photo cloud storage.
Unlimited free storage.
Photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16MP, it will be resized to 16MP.
You can print good quality 16MP photos in sizes up to 24 inches x 16 inches.
Videos higher than 1080p will be resized to high-definition 1080p. A video with 1080p or less will look close to the original.

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2995 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
Eli2015 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 7:21 am
Unlimited free storage.
Photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16MP, it will be resized to 16MP.
You can print good quality 16MP photos in sizes up to 24 inches x 16 inches.
Videos higher than 1080p will be resized to high-definition 1080p. A video with 1080p or less will look close to the original.

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en
It's a common misconception that only photos over 16MP are compressed. All photos and videos uploaded to Google Photos in "High Quality" mode are compressed.
It should actually state "All photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16MP, it will also be resized to 16MP"

Only in "Original Quality" is where there is no compression being done. Granted, "High Quality" mode is still pretty good and most people can't tell the difference anyway.
Last edited by Dave98 on Jun 7th, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23845 posts
5056 upvotes
GTHA
sandikosh wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 6:58 am
With regards to these "Cloud" storage facilities, if I happened to stop paying the monthly fees, would I be able to access my photos or they become the domain of Apple?
Apple will terminate your account after 30 days. After a period of time, Apple will delete information and data stored in or as a part of your account.

"Apple does not claim ownership of the materials and/or Content you submit or make available on the Service. However, by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users with whom you consent to share such Content, you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you."
from https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-se ... terms.html
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11198 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
Good to know for those times you want your storage to be deleted, actually.
tk1000 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2017 8:26 am
Apple will terminate your account after 30 days. After a period of time, Apple will delete information and data stored in or as a part of your account.

"Apple does not claim ownership of the materials and/or Content you submit or make available on the Service. However, by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users with whom you consent to share such Content, you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you."
from https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-se ... terms.html
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2995 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 11:40 pm
oh, but then it would be too easy without giving them a chance to rip you off a little at every turn :)
It's clearly an upsell but I wouldn't say it's a rip off. iClouds packages are cheaper than Google Drive prices.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2007
1161 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
pongster wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 10:44 pm

YES YES and YES.