• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2013 6:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2012
2799 posts
906 upvotes
Hmm states get good Black Friday sales. We don't. Glad apple has play for 2 months return policy. B a lot of returns when people fine cheaper prices elsewhere
If I have answered your question, Hit THANKS!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11441 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 4:49 am
It's been reported that the Mini's A7 processor is clocked at 1.3ghz vs. the Air's 1.4ghz A7 processor.
Yeah, to my surprise Apple went with the same clock speed as the A7 in the iPhone 5s for the Retina mini.
This is all going to be subjective. I have very good eyes and I prefer the Mini. My dad prefers the full size iPad so that he doesn't have to use his reading glasses. Good eyes runs in my family. My dad didn't start wearing reading glasses until his late 40s.
That's normal. I'm in my 40s but don't need reading glasses... yet. However, the one thing I dislike about my Nexus 7 vs my iPad 2 is that I have to hold it that much closer to get comparable text sizes. It is even worse for my iPhone 5s, which is one reason I don't like surfing on the phone for long periods.

But yes, it is all subjective.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
6612 posts
964 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
LonesomeDove wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 5:31 am
The new iPad Mini Retina has barely been available to buy for a few hours and already retailers are talking about discounts.
Are you sure those retailers are talking about the Mini with retina display not the old Mini?
Aug 27, 2012
264 posts
12 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Anyone knows FS or BB has iPad mini Retina in stock or not? it shows sold out on FS website......

what about retailing store?
Nov 23, 2003
166 posts
31 upvotes
Just got my shipping notification (ordered yesterday morning)
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1036 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
EugW wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 7:27 am
That's normal. I'm in my 40s but don't need reading glasses... yet. However, the one thing I dislike about my Nexus 7 vs my iPad 2 is that I have to hold it that much closer to get comparable text sizes. It is even worse for my iPhone 5s, which is one reason I don't like surfing on the phone for long periods.

But yes, it is all subjective.
Gonna agree here. I like the convenience of a smaller tablet, but over long periods, I prefer my iPad 2 in regards to reading for the reasons you've described. Early 40s here, no reading glasses.

The nice thing about the Air is it is so much lighter than before and in terms of footprint, it is less of a jump from a Mini than a previous gen iPad, so comfort is mitigated somewhat.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
7609 posts
2749 upvotes
Southern Ontario
A guy I met on iPad launch day the year the US got them a month before Canada tried to declare one and hide the other. CBSA did a search and told him they could confiscate it but instead flagged him for future crossings. He texted us at the border to warn us, as we were still on our way and my friend I went with didn't want to declare any (I remember I resold one a couple days later for $640 that year).

So unless you stay >48h, and/or declare, you take your chances. There is also a CBSA card you can carry that lists electronics you own + serials. You fill this out once at the office before you cross. We often take iPads with us on family vacations, I keep the card in the same bag as the family passports. If you haven't done that, you can prove you had the product before you entered the US by software timelines, eg; pics with early date stamps, and other means. The card just makes it easier coming back, provided of course they decide to do a search.

At some point, I'll replace my kids' iPads with retina minis, more portable, but not at full price.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3198 posts
97 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Got shipping confirmation from apple. 16gb silver
Deal Addict
May 26, 2008
1259 posts
376 upvotes
Thornhill
Quick question guys, Is the Mini 2 available in Walmart yet? I know Walmart is carrying the Air in all sizes and colors.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2008
4937 posts
900 upvotes
Montreal
risktaker84 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 9:16 am
Quick question guys, Is the Mini 2 available in Walmart yet? I know Walmart is carrying the Air in all sizes and colors.
It's a "soft-launch" in the sense that it's available only through Apple (FOR NOW), mostly online (and in-store-pickup-reserved-online).

It will be available soon enough at Walmart, but no signs that the iPad Mini retina is available in stores.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2004
3198 posts
97 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Quick question. Even if the retina is 1mm thicker, does case for mini works with it?

Don't know what to order and don't want to pay $80 for the apple's one
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2008
4937 posts
900 upvotes
Montreal
vric wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 9:47 am
Quick question. Even if the retina is 1mm thicker, does case for mini works with it?

Don't know what to order and don't want to pay $80 for the apple's one
Depends how tight your current case is I would guess?

I sold my mini's case with it... so I will probably need to buy a new one for the mini retina.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6971 posts
653 upvotes
HDawg wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 8:59 am
Gonna agree here. I like the convenience of a smaller tablet, but over long periods, I prefer my iPad 2 in regards to reading for the reasons you've described. Early 40s here, no reading glasses.

The nice thing about the Air is it is so much lighter than before and in terms of footprint, it is less of a jump from a Mini than a previous gen iPad, so comfort is mitigated somewhat.
complete opposite here. i prefer larger text thus bought 2 iPad 2 but that is the worst device I own(if we forget about the early day green monitor pc), can't stand it for more than 2 minutes. my mom on the other hand is perfectly fine with it. To me reading on N7 and iphone 4 is much more pleasant than iPad 2.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3449 posts
277 upvotes
vric wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 9:47 am
Just wait the 1-2 weeks until new cases flood the market.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11441 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
chimp wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 9:53 am
complete opposite here. i prefer larger text thus bought 2 iPad 2 but that is the worst device I own(if we forget about the early day green monitor pc), can't stand it for more than 2 minutes. my mom on the other hand is perfectly fine with it. To me reading on N7 and iphone 4 is much more pleasant than iPad 2.
When did you buy those iPad 2s? I hope not recently. I wouldn't get any non-Retina iDevice at this point, both because they're not Retina and because they have lower performance.

As for the iPhone 4, it's really slow for surfing, unless you only navigate to mobile-only sites.

However, despite my comments above about the iPad 2, I prefer surfing for long periods on the iPad 2 more than I do on the Nexus 7 and iPhone 4, although a small part of that is I have an external keyboard for the iPad 2. If I'm really planning on doing it for a long time though, I pull out my 13" laptop.
× < >