[Apple] Pro Apps Bundle for Education - $199 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2017 12:31 pm
[OP]
Feb 3, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote

[Apple] Pro Apps Bundle for Education - $199 USD

yesterday apple introduced a bundle of apps for $199 USD on their online store in america. includes final cut pro ($399.99 CAD), logic pro ($279.99 CAD), motion ($69.99 CAD), compressor ($69.99 CAD), and mainstage ($39.99 CAD), a total value of $860 CAD!

although it is not available on apple's canadian website, canadians can still buy it from the link above. while apple does not allow you to input a canadian shipping address, this is not an issue because no shipment is required. after your purchase is complete, you’ll receive a code via email to unlock the apps from the mac app store. therefore, when picking a shipping address, choose a zip code/state without sales tax (like delaware) to ensure that the price remains $199 USD. they allow you to use a canadian billing address so no issues there. use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees for added bonus.
Last edited by azmyanything on Feb 4th, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Feb 4, 2017
1 posts
Did you try this? Can you confirm that you received the codes when purchased this way and you were able to install the apps?
Dec 25, 2013
260 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Just an FYI, I work in the film and television Industry. Final Cut Pro X is anything but "Pro". Pretty much nobody uses Final Cut after they changed from Final Cut 7
Jul 10, 2007
130 posts
25 upvotes
Ychanceit wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 4:05 pm
Just an FYI, I work in the film and television Industry. Final Cut Pro X is anything but "Pro". Pretty much nobody uses Final Cut after they changed from Final Cut 7
What do they use?
Mar 5, 2007
256 posts
95 upvotes
Ychanceit wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 4:05 pm

If you're serious about becoming an industry professional, don't even bother learning FCPX unless you want to start up your own thing. I know of a few small, single-employee prosumer "production companies" that use FCPX, for some inexplicable reason. Almost everyone else has moved on to Premiere Pro or, if you're not keen on getting locked into Adobe's BS subscription model, Resolve.
I've been a video guy for almost 20 years, and have been a freelancer for the past 7 or 8 years. I learned FCPX when it first came out, thinking it'd be better to have in my toolkit than not; I literally have not a single request to cut a project on FCPX in almost 5 years.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2015
1086 posts
305 upvotes
North York, ON
Premiere Pro is the best.
Dec 13, 2016
4 posts
2 upvotes
Premiere Pro? Are you kidding me? Pros use Avid. Semi-pros who are cheap use Premiere. Seriously! Is this a joke?
May 30, 2013
98 posts
26 upvotes
Markham
Thanku2 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 6:04 pm
Premiere Pro? Are you kidding me? Pros use Avid. Semi-pros who are cheap use Premiere. Seriously! Is this a joke?
True.
Mar 5, 2007
256 posts
95 upvotes
Thanku2 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 6:04 pm
Nope, not a joke. I only know a single production house that still uses Avid --- they spent a bunch of dough last year on a couple of new Avid-based workstations when they finally decided to put FPC7 out to pasture. Based on the talk from their editors, they really regret jumping into Avid... That's not to say there aren't shops out there that do use Avid and, I'm sure, love using Avid, they're just in the minority. Avid's continually sliding stock price and revenue both attest to that.
I was an Avid guy for a looooong time, and I still prefer it to Premiere for really big projects, but Avid's stuck in an unfortunate position these days... they spent way too much time actively fighting against innovation, didn't adjust to changing market realities and got left behind.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Premiere Pro fanboi by any stretch of the imagination. If you want me to slag on Premiere, I'm happy to do so. Their subscription model is the worst thing to happen to the Pro market in years; they put almost no effort into QA and beta testing, so their customers wind up paying for the privilege of beta testing software that's often hilariously riddled with bugs. I try to stay around a year behind the official Adobe release schedule, so they have time to issue at least two or three bugfix updates before I update. It's slow as ballz for big projects with a ton of media, so trying to work on, say, a documentary film is a nightmare. The reality is that Premiere works just fine for most projects --- I've cut TV shows, commercials, short films, corporate videos, educational content, and features on Premiere, and they all work just fine. I've still got a copy of MC 6.5 on my old workstation, but the ol' girl rarely gets dusted off any more.

Further to my post above, I know more people who use Resolve for editing than Avid, these days. The free version of Resolve is actually pretty great. Once things calm down, it's next on my list of software to learn. Gotta stay ahead of the curve! :/
Dec 13, 2016
4 posts
2 upvotes
So let me get this straight, you are saying that more professional editors use resolve and premiere than avid? I will show tomorrow that most major movies use Avid. It is the standard, I know because it's part of my job to choose which edit system my editors use. I am a bit flabbergasted.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel