• Dec 8th, 2017 4:39 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2002
413 posts
21 upvotes

Apple product exchange

I just got an iPad 32gb 2017 model as gift without receipt. Is that any chance I can exchange to a 128gb version and I pay for the different? Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1943 posts
889 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
bob318 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:11 pm
I just got an iPad 32gb 2017 model as gift without receipt. Is that any chance I can exchange to a 128gb version and I pay for the different? Thanks
Find out where the giver bought it from and call them to ask.

There's always a chance but it's up to the retailer.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2049 posts
1051 upvotes
If it’s a gift, and was bought thru Apple it might be engraved with something personal / sentimental
(Check the back)
If it’s engraved, Apple doesn’t do exchanges
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10423 posts
3112 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is it open or still sealed in box?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10423 posts
3112 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bob318 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:34 am
Sealed in box
If you can't approach the person who gave you the iPad as a gift (not close enough, bad etiquette, etc.), then go to an Apple Store if there is one near you to see if you can get it exchanged there. If it's still sealed then most likely it's not personalized/engraved. I can't see Apple refusing an upsell opportunity but then again they are not obligated to fulfill the request if it wasn't purchase from them and you don't have the receipt. Be nice and maybe they can help you out.

If you don't get anywhere with the Apple Store, the last option would be to sell it at or slightly below cost on Kijiji/CL or RFD's BST forum. Then with the money you can buy the higher capacity model.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13914 posts
9526 upvotes
Toronto
tell gift giver you need a gift receipt in case any warranty issues arise.

with gift receipt you'll be able to do the upgrade at most places
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Feb 19, 2017
579 posts
224 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:56 am

Best excuse ever... think ill start using that the next time im given something i dont really want (or already bought...).

If its bought recently, apple store might do an upgrade for you but YMMV depending on store/manager. It never hurts to ask tho.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2049 posts
1051 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:56 am

A tad sneaky (from an Etiquette POV) ... but TOTALLY Legit Reason
And, if you aren’t using this excuse to return for cash to buy something totally different
Which you are not... essentially the same gift, just an upgrade... I think it a good way to both keep the intent of the gift intact as well as yourself happy
Two happy people - Giver & Receiver = win win in my book