Hot Deals

[Apple] Pronto Checker for Metrolinx's PRESTO card free for a limited time to celebrate Canada 150!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2017 4:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23845 posts
5056 upvotes
GTHA

[Apple] Pronto Checker for Metrolinx's PRESTO card free for a limited time to celebrate Canada 150!

Posted in Hot Deals since most members do not check the Freebies forum...

from http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/app-store/ ... ne-presto/
The app normally retails for $1.39 CAD, but it’s going free for a week starting today (June 28th), as part of Canada 150.

The Canadian developer behind the app, Jerry Yu, told iPhone in Canada one of his motivating factors to create Pronto, was the clunky prestocard.ca website. He wanted to simplify the process to let people check their PRESTO balance only, anytime, saying “I wanted to make it easier for people, which in turn helps increase their use of public transportation.”

The app sends your personal data from your iPhone to the PRESTO website over a secure connection, ensuring user privacy.
from https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/apple-s ... 1067148752
Quickly check you PRESTO card balance from your phone. You no longer need to bookmark the website or remember to check at the station.

- Scan your card number with the camera
- Login using your registered credentials
- See your balance in Today Extension
- Supports multiple accounts and cards

Disclaimer: This app is not affiliated or connected with Metrolinx. We are not responsible for any issues. Balance details may be delayed by up to 24 hours. Please use at your own discretion.
16 replies
Jan 17, 2017
37 posts
9 upvotes
fancy front end to the presto site, does a login for you and just shows the results.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
2969 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
Will check it out at home. On the bus right now
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
2721 posts
105 upvotes
Set up autoload on your card. Then you won't have to worry about ever checking if you have enough money.
Mar 25, 2009
357 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty useless app. All it does is show your balance (no trip history or anything else). I'm surprised people would pay for this app.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
38082 posts
8226 upvotes
TransporterSD wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 7:38 am
Move to the city. TTC The Better Way lol
Can't afford to even live in a shoe box there.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
38082 posts
8226 upvotes
It would be nice if this app always told the Go Train ticket checker that we paid for the fare.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2424 posts
240 upvotes
Would be even better if he could develop a solution so that I wouldn't have to still wait upto 24 hrs before the money I've loaded onto my card to register on the OC TRANSPO card readers, so that
A: I don't have my card go into a false negative balance which I don't get reimbursed for.
B: told by the bus driver to get off the bus because he says I haven't paid my fare even though I have showed him the confirmation email with the matching serial number no. of my card which shows I loaded >$30 more than 11 hrs earlier.

Not the developer's fault but just venting...
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 7:51 am
It would be nice if this app always told the Go Train ticket checker that we paid for the fare.
Last edited by mangoman on Jun 29th, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
38082 posts
8226 upvotes
mangoman wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 10:11 am
Would be even better if he could develop a solution so that I wouldn't have to still waiting upto 24 hrs before the money I've loaded onto my card to register on the OC TRANSPO card readers, so that
A: I don't have my card go into a false negative balance which I don't get reimbursed for.
B: told by the bus driver to get off the bus because he says I haven't paid my fare even though I have showed him the confirmation email with the matching serial number no. of my card which shows I loaded >$30 more than 11 hrs earlier.

Not the developer's fault but just venting...
I have started loading at the kiosks, especially when my Rogers MC only has a $2k credit limit. I used to just pay the entire month's worth of travel when the new cc billing cycle starts but I just load up every week as it's not that inconvenient anyway.

Actually, from my experience, my presto card would under report and never over report the balance it has because of the potential 48 hour loading delay for online top ups.
Jun 13, 2004
164 posts
21 upvotes
Don't ever worry about money because you have money. Lol
Dec 8, 2015
2 posts
1 upvote
Orangeville
The GO Bus drivers freaking HATE this app. The problem with it is that it only shows what the website says, NOT what is ACTUALLY on your card!!!! There's at least a 24 hour delay between what's really on your card and what the site/app says. I've watched people argue with drivers "but the app says I have $40"... NO>>>> YOUR CARD HAS $3> I DON'T CARE WHAT THE THIRD PARTY UNSUPPORTED APP SAYS!!!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23845 posts
5056 upvotes
GTHA
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 7:22 am
Go Train fares increasing yet again. :(
Only a 3% hike to fares this time and it will not affect short trips...

"The Metrolinx board voted Wednesday to hike single-ticket adult fares greater than $5.65 by three per cent, effective Sept. 2. Fares for short trips will remain unchanged."

"The biggest increase will be on a ticket from Union to Barrie. A single-fare ride will go up 40 cents to $13.95 from $13.55, while the fare for Presto card users will go up 32 cents from $12.03 to $12.35."

"Metrolinx projects the move will generate $8.5 million in additional revenue to support planned services, such as more frequent off-peak service."

from http://www.cp24.com/news/metrolinx-appr ... -1.3480479