Computers & Electronics

Apple is replacing my late-2013 MBP, should I get the 2015 or 2016 MBP?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 8:28 pm
[OP]
Feb 1, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes

Apple is replacing my late-2013 MBP, should I get the 2015 or 2016 MBP?

Hi everyone,

I am currently having a dilemma in choosing between the 2015 and 2016 touchbar macbook pro.
So I have a late 2013, 13" MBP that is being replaced by apple under apple care.

The current equivalent of my model is:
  • 13-inch MacBook Pro - Silver
  • 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 8GB 1866MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100
  • Two Thunderbolt 2 ports
I was planning on increasing the ram to 16GB and paying $240 CAD for the difference.

However, I was wondering if it would be worth my money to get the newer touch bar version.
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD
  • Intel Iris Graphics 550
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
This would cost me $750 CAD for the difference.

I will be using the laptop for web dev and design (photoshop, illustrator) and of course just leisure video watching, browsing, etc.

Do you think there will be a big difference between the 2015 and 2016 versions in a few years, where one will be more "future-proof" or out-dated than the other?

Are the specs on the 2016 justifiable for the $750 price tag in comparison to the $250 for the 2015 version?

Thank you!
18 replies
Oct 26, 2008
85 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Ultimately it comes down to how useful you think the touch bar will be to you.

If the apps you run make use of the touch bar, it may be a worthwhile investment. If not, it may make more sense to stick to the 2015 model.

Reception of the touch bar has been, mixed (some love it, some hate it) so it really depends on how you want to use it. Do you use a lot of function/hot keys?

The specs between both units are very close, but I don't know if it's worth it to spend an additional $510 for the touch bar.

It may be worth it to try out the touch bar model at the apple store and see if you like it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13215 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
They actually gave you a choice? They didn't give me a choice when they replaced my iMac. They just gave me the only available comparable model (which happened to be one generation later).

I didn't complain though since they upgraded my ram from 4x2 GB to 2x4 GB, leaving extra slots open to add more RAM.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes
insertusername wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:08 pm
Just wondering, why are you getting your old macbook replaced?
The computer needs repair but they can't seem to fix the problem and my apple care is ending so they're replacing the unit for me.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:36 pm
They actually gave you a choice? They didn't give me a choice when they replaced my iMac. They just gave me the only available comparable model (which happened to be one generation later).

I didn't complain though since they upgraded my ram from 4x2 GB to 2x4 GB, leaving extra slots open to add more RAM.
I think you need to ask if it's an option or it could depend on the representative you took on your replacement case.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1533 posts
85 upvotes
m4r 1k8
get 2016 model the keyboard is much nicer and so is the trackpad its also more future proof

the downside is youll need a dongle or 2 depending on the screens u use

ive used both and would say the touchbar model is an upgrade.

battery is a little crappier but overall its a better computer much lighter and better speakers etc
Nov 22, 2012
311 posts
90 upvotes
Vancouver
Go to the store and test it out. The touch bar is not very intuitive because you have to constantly move your hand up and down and forces you to look at the touchbar instead of the screen. The track pad was also way too big for me. I think if you need graphics performance it would be wiser to choose the 2016 mbp otherwise the general performance will be relatively equal. Don't forget about the ports and magsafe
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
11420 posts
1516 upvotes
I didn't even realize that applecare plus allows you to upgrade on a repair/replacement.

I always thought that if apple can't repair your laptop, they just give you a refurbished laptop that's exactly the same?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13215 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:32 pm
I didn't even realize that applecare plus allows you to upgrade on a repair/replacement.

I always thought that if apple can't repair your laptop, they just give you a refurbished laptop that's exactly the same?
Usually but not always a refurb. For my my iMac replacement they gave me a brand new one. They also gave me the old drive out of the broken iMac, and they let me keep the old keyboard and mouse, but the new iMac came with a new keyboard and mouse.

I think though it was because no refurbs were available in my case.

Come to think of it, probably one reason I didn't get the option to upgrade is because there wasn't much to upgrade to, as I already had a high end model.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
2835 posts
1070 upvotes
ed116 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:08 pm
get 2016 model the keyboard is much nicer and so is the trackpad its also more future proof

the downside is youll need a dongle or 2 depending on the screens u use

ive used both and would say the touchbar model is an upgrade.

battery is a little crappier but overall its a better computer much lighter and better speakers etc
The keyboard is crap. There is nothing nice about it.
l69norm wrote:

They probably don't have any 2013 anymore.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes
l69norm wrote:

They give you the current equivalent of what your machine is and they need to match the specs. They can't give you a product with worse specs than what you already have, regardless of it being a newer model.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1533 posts
85 upvotes
m4r 1k8
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:04 pm
The keyboard is crap. There is nothing nice about it.

They probably don't have any 2013 anymore.
have you used the new keyboard??? its not the same as the OG macbook its much better the butterfly 2 gives you very nice feedback even though they are lower profile.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13215 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
The old keyboard is definitely better.

The new Pro keyboard is noticeably better than the new MacBook keyboard but both are inferior than the old Pro keyboard imo.
Nov 15, 2011
904 posts
377 upvotes
Saint John
Is the RAM in those things soldered on? If not, it seems insane to me to pay $240 for 8GB of RAM that costs $70-80 from Newegg.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel