• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 1:57 am
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3061 posts
1486 upvotes
endokuken wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 9:35 am
I've heard some mention it would drop to $146-148 in the what would you buy thread, likeliness it drops more as shortage of stock of the X becomes more apparent?
Perhaps... question is if it drops is it a buying opportunity or not. Will users switch to another vendor or go with the iPhone 8/8 Plus?

Wall Street is short-sighted so only really focuses on the next 3 months. If you are long AAPL, it may be a buying opportunity.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4529 posts
1407 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
The usual, like clockwork, story of APPL reducing phone orders just released AH [for I8 in this case].

Duh, they made their expected inventory of I8 and have been focused on IX pre orders to open up soon.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
APPLE REPORTS FOURTH QUARTER RESULTS
There’s only one week of iPhone 8 sales in these results, but the average selling price for iPhone was effectively unchanged from the year-ago quarter, and total unit sales were slightly up. So much for those reports that the year-old iPhone 7 was outselling the iPhone 8. iPad and Mac unit sales are both up about 10 percent year-over-year.

Guidance for next quarter is insane: “revenue between $84 billion and $87 billion”. Last year for the holiday quarter Apple reported $78.4 billion in revenue, which was a record for the company. Even the low end of Apple’s guidance would shatter that record.

from https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/ ... q4-results
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3061 posts
1486 upvotes
Each round lot of AAPL shares you owned 1 week ago has yielded one free iPhone X.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
4632 posts
1339 upvotes
atomiton wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 3:08 am
Each round lot of AAPL shares you owned 1 week ago has yielded one free iPhone X.
OMG, what have we become ;)
we now measure success in iPhone X? which is nothing else but ridiculously priced communications device.
best ever, fastest and thinnest iPhone, LOL
Did you know you can buy iPhone 7 and decent mirrorless camera or nice PC or million other things that are more useful?

and then next year, there will be something more flashy and folks unable to battle dementia, will mindlessly flock to buy another best ever iPhone.
damn, this shows average person is just not bright
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
Social Capital founder Chamath Palihapitiya doesn't seem impressed with how Apple is spending its growing pile of cash.

Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
2705 posts
1700 upvotes
I'd concur on several of his points. Apple, where it's taking "courage to move on" and to remove the headphone jack. Please. Having said that, my next phone is likely an iPhone and the new iPhones are luxury goods like Louis Vuitton. See who occupies the 2 corners on George St and King St in Sydney?
Images
  • Apple Sydney.png
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
The U.S. Republican tax overhaul passed by Congress this week will allow Apple Inc (AAPL.O) to bring back its $252.3 billion foreign cash pile without a major tax hit - a long-standing company goal.

Other provisions of the bill, namely the cut in the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent, are also a big boon for Apple.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1EE2XB
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1951 posts
331 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 9:34 pm
Social Capital founder Chamath Palihapitiya doesn't seem impressed with how Apple is spending its growing pile of cash.

I don’t know how to put it but I think Apple has been just as innovative now then with Steve Jobs. The thing we keep missing is the details.

Yes, Apple hasn’t introduced anything out of this world that the average consumer can see. But if you look at the technology they put into the devices it is astonishing.

Their SOC’s are a great example. The only reason the Apple Watch is so far ahead of every other smart watch is because of their SOC’s and everyone takes it for granted.

While they are definitely also a luxury brand, the differentiator is, you are in fact getting more by buying the expensive phone.

I think a better comparison are vehicle manufactures rather than clothing brands.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
3136 posts
2218 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Mr_Dogg wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 11:04 am
I don’t know how to put it but I think Apple has been just as innovative now then with Steve Jobs. The thing we keep missing is the details.

Yes, Apple hasn’t introduced anything out of this world that the average consumer can see. But if you look at the technology they put into the devices it is astonishing.

Their SOC’s are a great example. The only reason the Apple Watch is so far ahead of every other smart watch is because of their SOC’s and everyone takes it for granted.

While they are definitely also a luxury brand, the differentiator is, you are in fact getting more by buying the expensive phone.

I think a better comparison are vehicle manufactures rather than clothing brands.
I haven't watched this video, but I think Apple is doing a good job building a network effect with it's products (something that you can't really do with clothing). This is objectively identified by ongoing service revenue growth. While Jobs may have been a hardware innovator, I think Tim Cook is a business innovator whos focus is on increasing the moat and strengthening the business rather than device innovation.

Is it cool to have your mind blown by a device you didn't even know you needed? Of course but as a share holder, a growing moat isn't a bad thing.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3061 posts
1486 upvotes
treva84 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2017 10:22 am
I haven't watched this video, but I think Apple is doing a good job building a network effect with it's products (something that you can't really do with clothing). This is objectively identified by ongoing service revenue growth. While Jobs may have been a hardware innovator, I think Tim Cook is a business innovator whos focus is on increasing the moat and strengthening the business rather than device innovation.

Is it cool to have your mind blown by a device you didn't even know you needed? Of course but as a share holder, a growing moat isn't a bad thing.
True. Apple does get some unfair criticism at times. People forget stock was extremely volatile under Steve Jobs and only really started to rise after his death. Steve was unpredictable and would be more than willing to miss deadlines to complete his vision of what the product should be. If a product wasn’t ready they would not release it to meet a seasonal target. Now we expect new iPhones on time every year so they design on a clock and if a feature won’t make it for that timeline they’ll drop it instead of delaying the device.

Steve also wasn’t a fan of Wall Street and refused to provide dividends and buy backs.

Tim’s more willing to meet investors half way. Steve gave them nothing.

I think it’s also less of Apple not being innovative than other companies copying the formula with good results. Google, Microsoft, Samsung et al have all prioritized design... whereas it was an afterthought before.

Essentially Apple knew how to make electronics less geeky and more personal. Less techy and more friendly. They took computing to the masses by simplifying the interface with some success. They took the same philosophy with hard to use complicated phones with massive success. Partly timing, partly corporate culture.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
1731 posts
293 upvotes
Saskatoon
Keep buying Apple stock, Mr. Cook is underpaid
--
Apple reported that Mr Cook's personal travel expenses came to $93,109 (£69,253) in 2017.
His personal security expenses came to $224,216, the tech giant added.
In 2017, the chief executive's salary was just over $3m. He also received $9.3m in bonuses, plus $89m of shares that were promised to him if he met certain targets.
'The rich get richer and the poor get - children.'
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1392 posts
370 upvotes
ukrainiandude wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 6:01 pm
Keep buying Apple stock, Mr. Cook is underpaid
--
Apple reported that Mr Cook's personal travel expenses came to $93,109 (£69,253) in 2017.
His personal security expenses came to $224,216, the tech giant added.
In 2017, the chief executive's salary was just over $3m. He also received $9.3m in bonuses, plus $89m of shares that were promised to him if he met certain targets.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but he really is. The stock is up almost 50% this year under his leadership. An executive should be rewarded based on his performance and he's done just that. That's not to say the stock won't go down in 2018 but the guy in your signature has enough faith in the company to invest and double down on his investment with a long-term view. I'm on sidelines for now but will pick up shares/calls at the next correction, whenever that happens.
Heatware: 9-0-0
Realtor @ Royal LePage United Realty
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
4632 posts
1339 upvotes
Clueless Fox wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 6:43 pm
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but he really is. The stock is up almost 50% this year under his leadership. An executive should be rewarded based on his performance and he's done just that. That's not to say the stock won't go down in 2018 but the guy in your signature has enough faith in the company to invest and double down on his investment with a long-term view. I'm on sidelines for now but will pick up shares/calls at the next correction, whenever that happens.
Apple stock has been bought because we are in the bull market. Everything goes up, and some companies more than others. AAPL EPS/REVs grew much less than stock price, it's called irrational exuberance
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1392 posts
370 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 11:25 pm
Apple stock has been bought because we are in the bull market. Everything goes up, and some companies more than others. AAPL EPS/REVs grew much less than stock price, it's called irrational exuberance
I'd argue that the stock price was way undervalued earlier and it was playing catch-up. I've been following this company/stock price since 2003, its highs and lows, and the respective catalysts. I don't disagree that it'll go down in the near future (hell, the market should correct), but I have enough faith in the management to bet on them for the long-term (if I was a buy & hold kind of investor).
Heatware: 9-0-0
Realtor @ Royal LePage United Realty