• Jan 10th, 2019 10:52 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1856 posts
819 upvotes
Houston, TX
dlhunter wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 11:25 pm
Apple stock has been bought because we are in the bull market. Everything goes up, and some companies more than others. AAPL EPS/REVs grew much less than stock price, it's called irrational exuberance
As Obi-one said, it's depend on the point of view, or on the starting point. IF price have been underperformed to EPS prior to that, this current one overperformance is not irrational then, but just catch up aka return to the mean ;)

Disclaimer: I do not own AAPL directly* (I do own S&P500)

From innovation point of view, my personal opinion they lack it last few years, as well as disaster in SW quality (few latest iOS MAJOR releases been done with BLOCKERS like device bricked on update. This could not be justified by tie to business cycle, however clearly caused by that). Jobs was kinda innovator and THIS actually lift the Apple from dust. Cook is do a supply chain man, and he probably good in extracting extra profit from ALREADY made progress. But with such approach he eventually will run into the problem that it will be no more to cash out.
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
4156 posts
1013 upvotes
asa1973 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 9:45 am
From innovation point of view, my personal opinion they lack it last few years, as well as disaster in SW quality (few latest iOS MAJOR releases been done with BLOCKERS like device bricked on update. This could not be justified by tie to business cycle, however clearly caused by that). Jobs was kinda innovator and THIS actually lift the Apple from dust. Cook is do a supply chain man, and he probably good in extracting extra profit from ALREADY made progress. But with such approach he eventually will run into the problem that it will be no more to cash out.
I used to love AAPL products and was huge advocate in the early days (iPhones, MacBook Air, etc). While products themselves haven't changed substantially, their prices went through the roof (and quality diminished). I feel like they are taking advantage - because they can. And latest discovery of iOS updates slowing down CPU doesn't surprise many - it's been obvious, just nobody cared/couldn't prove.

Well, there is plenty of fish and I am happy with Samsung, Asus, etc.
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1346 posts
318 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 10:31 am
I used to love AAPL products and was huge advocate in the early days (iPhones, MacBook Air, etc). While products themselves haven't changed substantially, their prices went through the roof (and quality diminished). I feel like they are taking advantage - because they can. And latest discovery of iOS updates slowing down CPU doesn't surprise many - it's been obvious, just nobody cared/couldn't prove.

Well, there is plenty of fish and I am happy with Samsung, Asus, etc.
I agree that the prices have gone up and quality has suffered in the recent months/years but they're still firing on all cylinders. From a business standpoint, they've had to take a hit from strengthening USD, while maintaining their margins, still thinking of and coming up with new products/features that create demand and keep people within its ecosystem. With their stance on security, privacy and avoiding patent infringement, they have to go through even more loopholes to come up with new technology. It's one of the biggest reasons why Siri is so dumb compared to Alexa and Google. While other companies are happy to take your data and sell it to advertisers, they have to figure out alternatives to keep it secure.

We live in a world where the alternatives are so readily available - as consumers we demand to be 'wowed' continuously by features/product design/longevity, as investors we demand to be 'wowed' continuously by increasing top and bottom lines.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
4156 posts
1013 upvotes
Clueless Fox wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 11:43 pm
I'd argue that the stock price was way undervalued earlier and it was playing catch-up.
btw, I looked up financials and what you said makes no sense.
first, AAPL stock was up 16% in 2016
revenues and EPS DECLINED in that year

=== stock ran ahead of fundamentals

look at 2017
stock up 49%
Revs/EPS have NOT exceeded FY 2015 results and slightly below. Yes, there was growth - some 7% REVs and 11% EPS

conclusion - AAPL stock way overvalued and is not backed up by fundamentals. Buyer beware.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1346 posts
318 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 3:32 pm
btw, I looked up financials and what you said makes no sense.
first, AAPL stock was up 16% in 2016
revenues and EPS DECLINED in that year

=== stock ran ahead of fundamentals

look at 2017
stock up 49%
Revs/EPS have NOT exceeded FY 2015 results and slightly below. Yes, there was growth - some 7% REVs and 11% EPS

conclusion - AAPL stock way overvalued and is not backed up by fundamentals. Buyer beware.
You should go back further than 2016. Take a look at the hit it took during 2012~2013 when the stock went down by almost 50% for no reason. It had a lot of catching up to do since then. You also can't simplify the business of a juggernaut like Apple down to 3 metrics such as EPS/Rev and stock price expecting a linear correlation.

Either way, any correction notwithstanding, whether the stock stays ahead temporarily or fundamentals, in the long run, I expect both to continue improving. I've had this debate with people back in 2003, 2007, 2010, 2015 and now. I'll just put my money where my mouth is when the time comes.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
4156 posts
1013 upvotes
Clueless Fox wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 4:05 pm
You should go back further than 2016. Take a look at the hit it took during 2012~2013 when the stock went down by almost 50% for no reason. It had a lot of catching up to do since then. You also can't simplify the business of a juggernaut like Apple down to 3 metrics such as EPS/Rev and stock price expecting a linear correlation.
ok, got it, it's different this time
my point is AAPL way ahead of it's fundamentals. You are saying it has some catching up to do - since beginning of time. Dig some REV/EPS from 2012 and compare YOY, than overlay stock performance and post conclusions here.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1346 posts
318 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 4:19 pm
ok, got it, it's different this time
my point is AAPL way ahead of it's fundamentals. You are saying it has some catching up to do - since beginning of time. Dig some REV/EPS from 2012 and compare YOY, than overlay stock performance and post conclusions here.
Dude, I wasn’t disagreeing with you that it’s ahead of its fundamentals. I must’ve said at least twice that it could correct. I was talking about historical price movements where it went up substantially. It’s one of the most manipulated stocks out there. My point is that it will still continue to rise in the long run. And before that my point was with regards to its business vs the expectations of the consumers and investors.

I’ve been doing enough digging since 2003 when I first started following this stock. Not going to bother getting into an online debate just to prove myself. As I said, when the time comes I’ll put my money where my mouth is. I’m done here. Happy new year and happy trading.
Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8472 upvotes
GTHA
Apple Q1 2018 earnings: Record revenue, beating the estimates

Today Apple reported its results for the holiday quarter of last year, traditionally the biggest quarter of the year. Three months ago Apple said it expected between $84 and $87 billion in revenue, which would have been a record. They beat their estimates, with $88.3B in revenue, on strong iPhone revenue.

https://sixcolors.com/post/2018/02/appl ... ngs-today/
Sep 7, 2009
550 posts
173 upvotes
Never underestimate the heart of a champion. FAANG FTMFW.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1890 posts
307 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Anyone think we are going to have a larger divided increase than usual this year?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2619 posts
1358 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
komodor wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 10:32 am
AAPL above $180: ATH! Time to collect?
10 years ago ~$24 was an ATH.

Keep holding.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1229 posts
279 upvotes
Ontario
komodor wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 10:32 am
AAPL above $180: ATH! Time to collect?
No. Hold Apple, don’t trade it
Oct 19, 2016
649 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Some of us value our privacy. Personally Id rather have a dumb siri and have my private data kept private.

Also on alternatives.. ummm Apple is still leading in terms of innovation and quality. The alternatives at the moment are just inferior products.

best smart watch = iWatch...
best bluetooth earphones = apple earpods ...
best smart phone camera = iphone....
best tablet = iPad

just some examples.. there probably many others...

Clueless Fox wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 11:58 am
I agree that the prices have gone up and quality has suffered in the recent months/years but they're still firing on all cylinders. From a business standpoint, they've had to take a hit from strengthening USD, while maintaining their margins, still thinking of and coming up with new products/features that create demand and keep people within its ecosystem. With their stance on security, privacy and avoiding patent infringement, they have to go through even more loopholes to come up with new technology. It's one of the biggest reasons why Siri is so dumb compared to Alexa and Google. While other companies are happy to take your data and sell it to advertisers, they have to figure out alternatives to keep it secure.

We live in a world where the alternatives are so readily available - as consumers we demand to be 'wowed' continuously by features/product design/longevity, as investors we demand to be 'wowed' continuously by increasing top and bottom lines.