• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 1:57 am
Aug 17, 2013
527 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 7:19 pm
I've read Apple takes 30% and developers/musicians, etc take 70%.

Its not a big part of their business tho. I believe the app store is only 4-5% of their revenues... while that could grow, if hardware goes down, that will have a much bigger effect.
It's in correlation.... If people stop using Apple hardware as a whole, software will go down. People who switch from Iphones/mac will not keep buying software for a product they can't use.

Everything is based on Apple iphones dominating the market.
Jul 6, 2018
332 posts
607 upvotes
I wonder if Apple will ever reach the highs they reached this year ever again. I feel bad for the all suckers that stuck their retirement in this company.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7816 posts
4794 upvotes
orianna wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 7:42 pm
It's in correlation.... If people stop using Apple hardware as a whole, software will go down. People who switch from Iphones/mac will not keep buying software for a product they can't use.

Everything is based on Apple iphones dominating the market.
Agreed..only way that could change is if Apple opens up the ecosystem and they do so in the future if hardware falls...
Nov 23, 2018
513 posts
489 upvotes
Going forward, we need to monitor the install base. If that starts to slip, run for the hills.
Dec 25, 2015
231 posts
115 upvotes
Canada

Toni Sacconaghi
# 1 Ranked IT hardware analyst past 17 years

His thoughts : No rush to buy $AAPL

1) valuation is average compared to last 5 years
2. Could be further headwinds and next year iPhone cycle not that compelling
Nov 23, 2018
513 posts
489 upvotes
wolfs004 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:09 pm
These arrows represent institutions selling......
Could be Buffett selling?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7003 posts
6242 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
poopooplatter wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 7:48 pm
I wonder if Apple will ever reach the highs they reached this year ever again. I feel bad for the all suckers that stuck their retirement in this company.
Well 1) anyone that sticks all of their funds into one or two companies deserves what they get 2) 2 years ago this stock was $115 plus you got 2 years of 2% dividends and now it’s still $142. Heck even in early 2018 the low was $155. So for long term investors in the stock yeah they have taken a hit, but over the long term they are still way ahead.

Tech stocks had gone on an unbelievable “can’t lose run” and in the summer cautioning anyone about it was met with mind your own business. It’s important in bearish times to remember which stocks are likely to bounce and return value over the loner term. Apple will be a cash generating machine for the foreseeable future. Personally we’ve seen expectations lowered quite a bit for Apple and if they beat the lowered expectations the stock can go higher. That said I primarily see this as a one expensive product company so owning it would only be part of a diversified portfolio and I’d like to see the price and expectations even lower. I also don’t like their secretive disclosure and then “record revenues in certain geographies over Christmas” bs.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
6288 posts
1579 upvotes
GTA
This is my purely anecdotal personal experience, so take it for what it is...

I was fully in the Apple’s ecosystem for the past 10 years until early this year when I switched from iPhone to Pixel 2 XL phone. Main reasons were superior still camera, Google assistant/maps/software and about $650 upfront cost savings. While I can afford a flagship device, I no longer see a need to spend more money than I have to, now that Android has caught on to user experience that Apple offers and in some ways even exceeded it.

Still using MacBook Pro for work (software and web dev). While I do prefer OS X to Windows, Apple hardware design took some steps back in recent gens. MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard is garbage, even in slightly improved recent update. OLED bar is gimmicky, has no physical feel so you have to take your eyes off the screen to use it (devs who are used to shortcuts hate it) and it increases cost unnecessarily. If I didn’t have to use Mac for iOS app development, I would seriously consider switching back to a Windows laptop.

Also have an iPad Pro and this is where I feel Apple still has the best device as far as tablets are concerned. If I was looking to buy a tablet right now, I don’t think I would consider what competition is offering.

With latest iPhone release and huge jump in cost for top models I am even more turned off and do not see myself going back into Apple’s fold any time soon.

While this is a personal story, I think many people are in the same boat. Apple no longer has a leg up in software/hardware design over the competition in most areas and their price premium is becoming harder and harder to justify. Sales numbers are beginning to reflect it, imo.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50537 posts
15312 upvotes
The slow down your device on each iOS update fiasco probably resulted in a lot of defectors.

I'm still on my Galaxy Note 4 and even on Android 6.0.1, I am still getting all the necessary updates for my apps whereas with Apple, people using devices running on older iOS will be out of luck on some app updates. I know because we still have an iPad2 on which some apps can't be updated anymore.

I still don't think it's a doomsday scenario for Apple. It's just prices for its devices, save iPads which goes on sale every so often, have gone bonkers for the incremental improvement between generations. Quality of apps are still better on iOS that I bought a used iPad Pro (1st gen) + Apple pencil + the app for my toddler because one developer offered left-hand alphabet writing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7003 posts
6242 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
izzyzz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 7:36 am
This is my purely anecdotal personal experience, so take it for what it is...

I was fully in the Apple’s ecosystem for the past 10 years until early this year when I switched from iPhone to Pixel 2 XL phone. Main reasons were superior still camera, Google assistant/maps/software and about $650 upfront cost savings. While I can afford a flagship device, I no longer see a need to spend more money than I have to, now that Android has caught on to user experience that Apple offers and in some ways even exceeded it.

Still using MacBook Pro for work (software and web dev). While I do prefer OS X to Windows, Apple hardware design took some steps back in recent gens. MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard is garbage, even in slightly improved recent update. OLED bar is gimmicky, has no physical feel so you have to take your eyes off the screen to use it (devs who are used to shortcuts hate it) and it increases cost unnecessarily. If I didn’t have to use Mac for iOS app development, I would seriously consider switching back to a Windows laptop.

Also have an iPad Pro and this is where I feel Apple still has the best device as far as tablets are concerned. If I was looking to buy a tablet right now, I don’t think I would consider what competition is offering.

With latest iPhone release and huge jump in cost for top models I am even more turned off and do not see myself going back into Apple’s fold any time soon.

While this is a personal story, I think many people are in the same boat. Apple no longer has a leg up in software/hardware design over the competition in most areas and their price premium is becoming harder and harder to justify. Sales numbers are beginning to reflect it, imo.
Interesting experience, thanks for sharing.

I was thrown for a loop in 2018 when my daughter referenced using Chromebooks at school. While a few years prior Apple seemed well set up to take over. This article from 9 months ago sums up the sorry state of Apples education program. And also 9 months later we also know there’s no cheap MacBook. There likely never will be, and if there is it will likely be so defeatured as to render it useless. I remain a user of the iPad as a home web consumption device other than that, there not much under the umbrella that interests me.

https://www.macworld.com/article/326720 ... sroom.html
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7003 posts
6242 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 9:08 am
I was going to buy a 15" MacBook Pro. But, when I configured it the total price came to around $4660. And this is without the Applecare even. At this price, I don't think so. Apple is basically pricing themselves out of the market. Look at the price of the new iPhones.
Wild. What would be your uses for the MacBook?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
2705 posts
1700 upvotes
Nikkei Asian Review
JANUARY 09, 2019 10:30 JST
Exclusive: Apple tells suppliers to produce 10% fewer new iPhones

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Compan ... ew-iPhones

TAIPEI -- Apple is cutting its current production plan for new iPhones by about 10% for the next three months in a sign that the U.S. smartphone maker is expecting a further hit this year, just a week after its market-shaking revelation that it would miss revenue forecasts at the end of 2018.
Apr 14, 2017
866 posts
407 upvotes
DT Calgary
Scary times for this company. Thankfully, Microsoft and others look solid.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3946 upvotes
Toronto
LOL
"scary times for this company"

Oh yeah, super scary. Company has $200 billion in CASH.
record sales year after year, for phones that COST MORE each year.

yeah, sure. going bankrupt tomorrow!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50537 posts
15312 upvotes
Scarier times for those who cannot afford mid-range Apple products.

When I say cannot, I mean cannot and not unwilling to.

Growth may be slowing all right but doesn't mean sales or loyalty fell off the cliff. Just means people are hanging on to their devices as much as I have held on to 2nd and 3rd gen Intel Windows PC with 60 GB SSDs.