Feb 23, 2009
1670 posts
1495 upvotes
Oshawa
daivey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:27 pm
LOL
"scary times for this company"

Oh yeah, super scary. Company has $200 billion in CASH.
record sales year after year, for phones that COST MORE each year.

yeah, sure. going bankrupt tomorrow!
Exactly.
Hopefully some panic selling gives me an opportunity to buy.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3537 posts
2201 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Yah it's so stupid. People trade on emotions and fear. Tim Cook announced a 8% drop for it's revenue to $84 billion for the quarter. That's still $84 billion. People talking like it's a huge drop and apple is losing money now.

Meanwhile, Samsung says its quarterly profits have dropped 29% and no one cares.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3065 posts
1486 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:58 pm
Yah it's so stupid. People trade on emotions and fear. Tim Cook announced a 8% drop for it's revenue to $84 billion for the quarter. That's still $84 billion. People talking like it's a huge drop and apple is losing money now.

Meanwhile, Samsung says its quarterly profits have dropped 29% and no one cares.
Wall Street only cares about the next quarter. All this talk of Apple being doomed is just noise.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3065 posts
1486 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 7:48 am
The slow down your device on each iOS update fiasco probably resulted in a lot of defectors.

I'm still on my Galaxy Note 4 and even on Android 6.0.1, I am still getting all the necessary updates for my apps whereas with Apple, people using devices running on older iOS will be out of luck on some app updates. I know because we still have an iPad2 on which some apps can't be updated anymore.

I still don't think it's a doomsday scenario for Apple. It's just prices for its devices, save iPads which goes on sale every so often, have gone bonkers for the incremental improvement between generations. Quality of apps are still better on iOS that I bought a used iPad Pro (1st gen) + Apple pencil + the app for my toddler because one developer offered left-hand alphabet writing.
I’ve never had a problem with old apps running on old devices. In fact my iOS devices last far far longer than any Android devices... and older Samsung are the worst as they sloowwwww down over time. I had a iPhone 5c which was receiving the latest updates... that’s a 6 year old phone. No Samsung device gets Android updates that long. At least none I’ve owned.

I have an iPad 2 kicking around as well... it’s a bit slower and doesn’t run newer apps smoothly being released in 2011... but it’s still pretty functional. Ask yourself when the last time you actually saw a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus around... that wasn’t sitting in someone’s sock drawer?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
atomiton wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:01 am
I’ve never had a problem with old apps running on old devices. In fact my iOS devices last far far longer than any Android devices... and older Samsung are the worst as they sloowwwww down over time. I had a iPhone 5c which was receiving the latest updates... that’s a 6 year old phone. No Samsung device gets Android updates that long. At least none I’ve owned.

I have an iPad 2 kicking around as well... it’s a bit slower and doesn’t run newer apps smoothly being released in 2011... but it’s still pretty functional. Ask yourself when the last time you actually saw a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus around... that wasn’t sitting in someone’s sock drawer?
You didn't read about Apple intentionally slowing down iOS devices with the penultimate or final iOS update? :)

Good thing it got sued. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3065 posts
1486 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:22 am
You didn't read about Apple intentionally slowing down iOS devices with the penultimate or final iOS update? :)

Good thing it got sued. :)
Actually MANY manufacturers throttle. It has to do with batteries and how they age. As sales numbers show... Apple wants people's devices to last longer. You really have to look at the BIG picture here. It's pretty clear from OTHER actions that Apple wants people to keep their devices for longer.
That's their value proposition.

They support their older phones with iOS updates FAR and above every Android Manufacturer.
They spend an entire cycle making iOS 12 more efficient with the biggest perf gains on older devices.
They continuously focus on their environmental efforts and sustainable practices
They throttled batteries... BUT WHY?

Now... based on what we KNOW about Apple... what's the MOST likely conclusion:
(A) Apple clearly is slowing down your old phone so that you throw it away and buy a new one
(B) Apple clearly is preventing older phones batteries from crashing the phone

Their BIG mistake is in not telling people they were doing it. Transparency.

Sure it fits into the Apple KISS mantra... just let the phone deal with the low-level stuff but it didn't LOOK good. All they really needed was a toggle which gave the customer the option of putting the phone into 'battery saver' mode and the implications of what that means. But they chose to just handle automatically. Note... this is VERY Apple... and very Unix to NOT provide feedback. When you give Unix a command, it just does it and doesn't let you know it's done unless there was an error. IT JUST WORKS is a mantra of Unix and Apple ( with Apple adding... and it's easy to use). Anyhow, I digress...

Android phones don't really need to deal with this issue as much because historically people didn't keep Android phones as long. The new Android OS usually isn't supported on medium-aged phones and they just didn't tend to last... What's the oldest device that runs Android 9.0 Pie?

Wired said it well:
Rather than quietly push out an update that crimped older iPhones, it should have made that throttling opt-in. As it stands, there's no way to avoid having your phone slowed down once the battery reaches its limits. By giving users the choice, and giving them the information necessary to make their own decision, Apple could avoid the frustrations many have expressed over the policy.

While making the throttling opt-in could cause performance issues for users who opt-out, it would give users a sense of control over the situation and avoid making them feel like they're being tricked into buying a new phone. As it stands, Apple's move comes off as deceptive.

Instead of leaving users confused about why their phones are suddenly slowing to a crawl, Apple could take user education a step further by providing a battery health monitor in the Settings app. That way, an iPhone owner could figure out if the battery is the issue, or if something else is going on.
source: https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphon ... slow-down/
Note that Apple has now included a toggle for battery performance and a battery health area. They also provided cheap battery replacements for a year. I don't know about you... but I replaced my wife's iPhone 7+ battery so that phone should last even longer... especially given that it will probably receive iOS 13, 14, 15, and maybe even 16... thus helping to keep its value.

And VALUE is a much more important thing to me than COST.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
atomiton wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 6:13 pm
Actually MANY manufacturers throttle. It has to do with batteries and how they age. As sales numbers show... Apple wants people's devices to last longer. You really have to look at the BIG picture here. It's pretty clear from OTHER actions that Apple wants people to keep their devices for longer.
That's their value proposition.

They support their older phones with iOS updates FAR and above every Android Manufacturer.
They spend an entire cycle making iOS 12 more efficient with the biggest perf gains on older devices.
They continuously focus on their environmental efforts and sustainable practices
They throttled batteries... BUT WHY?

Now... based on what we KNOW about Apple... what's the MOST likely conclusion:
(A) Apple clearly is slowing down your old phone so that you throw it away and buy a new one
(B) Apple clearly is preventing older phones batteries from crashing the phone

Their BIG mistake is in not telling people they were doing it. Transparency.

Sure it fits into the Apple KISS mantra... just let the phone deal with the low-level stuff but it didn't LOOK good. All they really needed was a toggle which gave the customer the option of putting the phone into 'battery saver' mode and the implications of what that means. But they chose to just handle automatically. Note... this is VERY Apple... and very Unix to NOT provide feedback. When you give Unix a command, it just does it and doesn't let you know it's done unless there was an error. IT JUST WORKS is a mantra of Unix and Apple ( with Apple adding... and it's easy to use). Anyhow, I digress...

Android phones don't really need to deal with this issue as much because historically people didn't keep Android phones as long. The new Android OS usually isn't supported on medium-aged phones and they just didn't tend to last... What's the oldest device that runs Android 9.0 Pie?

Wired said it well:

source: https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphon ... slow-down/
Note that Apple has now included a toggle for battery performance and a battery health area. They also provided cheap battery replacements for a year. I don't know about you... but I replaced my wife's iPhone 7+ battery so that phone should last even longer... especially given that it will probably receive iOS 13, 14, 15, and maybe even 16... thus helping to keep its value.

And VALUE is a much more important thing to me than COST.
cool. so device slows to a crawl after an update and we should think of it as normal to preserve battery life.

might as well leave it on the N+1 or N+2 update like many android devices, at least the device doesn't slow down doing the same things it does prior to the iOS update.

Between 10-20% battery life improvement and performance (slow crawl and apps barely running), people will choose performance. What's the point of the longer battery life, if you cannot even run anything on the phone anymore?

I have Tab S2 and Tab S3 and I don't really care about the OS updates. I just want the apps to work. Most people bought the devices for the wealth of apps, not just for the OS anyway.
Apr 14, 2017
866 posts
407 upvotes
DT Calgary
daivey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:27 pm
LOL
"scary times for this company"

Oh yeah, super scary. Company has $200 billion in CASH.
record sales year after year, for phones that COST MORE each year.

yeah, sure. going bankrupt tomorrow!
I would say a major blue chip stock losing 1/3 of its value in less than 2 months is pretty scary for most investors. But sure, be hyperbolic and talk about bankruptcy. I see you are out of the penalty box again?
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:18 pm
I would say a major blue chip stock losing 1/3 of its value in less than 2 months is pretty scary for most investors. But sure, be hyperbolic and talk about bankruptcy. I see you are out of the penalty box again?
when it went from $160 to $230 in 5 months in 2018 from March to September, I guess those were not scary times though???

lol
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3065 posts
1486 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:14 pm
when it went from $160 to $230 in 5 months in 2018 from March to September, I guess those were not scary times though???

lol
Exactly this... that 45% increase was terrifying for short sellers.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3790 posts
1564 upvotes
Vancouver
cartfan123 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 5:41 pm
Stock up 6% after hours. Now higher than before the earnings warning in early Jan.

Seems like a market that wants to go higher.
Allll aboard! (I hope!)
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1954 posts
331 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
cartfan123 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 5:41 pm
Stock up 6% after hours. Now higher than before the earnings warning in early Jan.

Seems like a market that wants to go higher.
+1

Guessing by March/April we will hear new products, maybe announcement of health services?

And next quarterly results they should tell us how they plan on becoming cash neutral and guessing we will see larger than usual Divided bump.