Apple Stocks

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2024 9:57 am
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
2029 posts
804 upvotes
Vancouver
IMWHFMPC wrote: Many... except Tesla, there is GoPro, Digital Ally, Taser, etc. If you look at only for the past month, all of these companies have risen over 40%, let alone YTD.
You failed to point out Taser was down 50% from March to July and Digital Ally??? Come on you can find a stock out of the thousands that hit the lottery like they did on most any given day...come on 40% returns in a month are far from normal, anyone with the power of hindsight and future teleporting can be a master of the markets too.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
gwplant wrote: All gambles not investments. Up 40% down 50% take your pick.
Actually you brought up a good point, even though Tesla is definitely not a gamble, maybe to your eyes it is. To me all stocks are a gamble, you will never know when a bad news or good news come. Only insiders and people who are managing the company knows about them. So being a small investor it is impossible to predict the future price for a stock. As long as you can tolerate the risk, anything becomes under your control.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
gwplant wrote: You failed to point out Taser was down 50% from March to July and Digital Ally??? Come on you can find a stock out of the thousands that hit the lottery like they did on most any given day...come on 40% returns in a month are far from normal, anyone with the power of hindsight and future teleporting can be a master of the markets too.
To be frankly, I wouldn't invest long term on TSAR and DLLY. They are only good for quick short gains, after that you must leave to reduce your risks. I don't care how much they went down, in fact they are the best times to buy stocks. I only care my profit, they surely went over 40%, as long as I am making money I could care less about what other people think.

I must stress that 40% return in a year, does not mean keeping it for the entire year. Please be reminded.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
SurplusPlus wrote: There's lots of reasons Apple could grow massively. New product category, continued huge margin in phones/gadgets, or poaching a slice of the ultra lucrative electronic payments space. Apple's entire line up could flop and have to be sold off at half price and they'd still darn near break even. What other company can say that?

However Apple's stock price can and does move with no correlation to their financial resilience. For example they were still dominant and healthy when the stock price had its recent swoon down to about $57-60. If this fall's product is perceived as a flop, the stock could still drop sharply even as the company's financial performance continues just fine.
I like how you are very optimistic. I surely hope Apple will introduce new categories, revolutionize our world once again. I miss you Steve.

Currently under Cook's management there seems to be a lack of new revolutionary ideas except the ones carried by Steve. They need a visionary leader for the stock to rise sharply again, because clearly like you said that financial performance alone does not influence on the stock price. Cook is very good at making money but no matter how much profits he makes, the stock price will not climb. :(
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1888 posts
656 upvotes
IMWHFMPC wrote: They need a visionary leader for the stock to rise sharply again, because clearly like you said that financial performance alone does not influence on the stock price. Cook is very good at making money but no matter how much profits he makes, the stock price will not climb. :(
And yet Apple is up 50% since last September...poor Tim Cook doing such a terrible job, he's only running the most successful company of the last 20 years. Apple makes more profit in a quarter than Amazon or Tesla had made in their entire history.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
Vitalogy80 wrote: Whys that? Only because there hasn't been a ton of leaks?

They introduced the iPhone 6 months before it was released.
A bunch of reasons. But for starters, they did not "introduce the iPhone 6 months before it was released". If you check, you'll see they have said *nothing* official about iPhone 6, let alone even acknowledging that name or version number. That's what's presumably happening tomorrow.

They have billions riding on the smooth and well received launch of new phone and tablet versions. Why would they distract and dilute that by taking about a product that apparently is still on the design board?
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
Vitalogy80 wrote: And yet Apple is up 50% since last September...
Selective timing. One could also say Apple is up (or down) 0% from 2 years ago.
Vitalogy80 wrote: Apple makes more profit in a quarter than Amazon or Tesla had made in their entire history.
I think people seem to be using different definition of "success". One person might say success is inventing new things, while the other might say profit.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
Vitalogy80 wrote: And yet Apple is up 50% since last September...poor Tim Cook doing such a terrible job, he's only running the most successful company of the last 20 years. Apple makes more profit in a quarter than Amazon or Tesla had made in their entire history.
So......... Did you compare that with the stock performance when Jobs was in charge?

I've already emphasized that Cook is good at making money. For the benefits of the company and protection of shareholders, Cook was the only person capable of doing the job and he delivered it very well. However the stock price does not reflect the profits he made, this is the concern. We are all here to make money. As an Apple fan myself, I will always buy their products and services.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
IMWHFMPC wrote: I like how you are very optimistic. I surely hope Apple will introduce new categories, revolutionize our world once again. I miss you Steve.

Currently under Cook's management there seems to be a lack of new revolutionary ideas except the ones carried by Steve. They need a visionary leader for the stock to rise sharply again, because clearly like you said that financial performance alone does not influence on the stock price. Cook is very good at making money but no matter how much profits he makes, the stock price will not climb. :(
You should re-read what I wrote. I pointed out that Apple could do all kinds of good (or bad) things, and the stock price may not even move in any related direction.

As for the myth that today's Apple juggernaut was Tece's handiwork, sorry to burst the bubble. He provided vision and public presence (along with a lot of disadvantages that would probably be getting us off topic to list). But he designed none of the products, he wrote none the software, he crafted none of the user interfaces, he engineered none of the components, he laid out of none of the chips, he set up none of the Apple stores, he trained none of the service leaders, etc. Who did all that? The thousands of top flight individuals who were and still are operating the company today, that's who.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1888 posts
656 upvotes
SurplusPlus wrote: Selective timing. One could also say Apple is up (or down) 0% from 2 years ago.

I think people seem to be using different definition of "success". One person might say success is inventing new things, while the other might say profit.
Selective timing as well...One could also say Apple is up 1850% over the past 10 years, plus dividends.

I'm not investing in charities...I'm investing in companies to make money and Apple does that better than almost anyone right now. Part of that is obviously making new products, but if you asked me if I'd want Apple to invent a great new iWatch or iTV that lost lots of money or not put out anything new (other than iPhone/iPad/Macs/etc) and have earnings grow 10 - 20% over the next 5 years, I'd gladly take the earnings growth.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1888 posts
656 upvotes
IMWHFMPC wrote: So......... Did you compare that with the stock performance when Jobs was in charge?

I've already emphasized that Cook is good at making money. For the benefits of the company and protection of shareholders, Cook was the only person capable of doing the job and he delivered it very well. However the stock price does not reflect the profits he made, this is the concern. We are all here to make money. As an Apple fan myself, I will always buy their products and services.
Tim Cook was CEO in 2009 when Steve Jobs was away battling cancer...it was around $25 then, so 400% return in 5 years or so isn't too shabby. I'm not saying Tim Cook is a better CEO than Steve Jobs...I'm saying it's pre-mature to say Tim Cook has done nothing. Wait till after tomorrow's announcements at least, as he's said the new fall products are going to special.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1888 posts
656 upvotes
SurplusPlus wrote: A bunch of reasons. But for starters, they did not "introduce the iPhone 6 months before it was released". If you check, you'll see they have said *nothing* official about iPhone 6, let alone even acknowledging that name or version number. That's what's presumably happening tomorrow.

They have billions riding on the smooth and well received launch of new phone and tablet versions. Why would they distract and dilute that by taking about a product that apparently is still on the design board?
Where did I say iPhone 6?? I said iPhone...the first iPhone was announced in January 2007 at MacWorld. It didn't start going on sale until the end of June, 6 months later. That's what I'm guessing will happen tomorrow...an iWatch is announced/demoed and then goes on sale around December/January.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
Vitalogy80 wrote: Selective timing as well...One could also say Apple is up 1850% over the past 10 years, plus dividends.

I'm not investing in charities...I'm investing in companies to make money and Apple does that better than almost anyone right now. Part of that is obviously making new products, but if you asked me if I'd want Apple to invent a great new iWatch or iTV that lost lots of money or not put out anything new (other than iPhone/iPad/Macs/etc) and have earnings grow 10 - 20% over the next 5 years, I'd gladly take the earnings growth.
The problem is that earnings growth requires growth of margin, market share, and/or volume. Apple has the challenge that they already are high in all those categories, so the likelihood of one category slipping far exceeds the chance that they all will stay high, let alone rise. As I predicted awhile ago, most doubt Apple can do much more in phones and tablets, and the margins are already stellar, so that's why the interest in new product categories. If they don't convince people on a product category then shareholders better look out below... even as the company continues to bank billions in profits.

Few serious investors are buying or holding a mega cap like AAPL as a "growth" name, value perhaps.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1888 posts
656 upvotes
SurplusPlus wrote: The problem is that earnings growth requires margin, market share, and/or volume growth. Apple has the challenge that they already are high in all those categories, so the likelihood of one category slipping far exceeds the chance that they all will stay high. Few serious investors are buying or holding a mega cap like AAPL as a "growth" name, value perhaps.
Yep, I agree with this...Apple will not grow earnings at 60-70% per year anymore. It's not a "growth" company
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
Vitalogy80 wrote: Tim Cook was CEO in 2009 when Steve Jobs was away battling cancer...it was around $25 then, so 400% return in 5 years or so isn't too shabby. I'm not saying Tim Cook is a better CEO than Steve Jobs...I'm saying it's pre-mature to say Tim Cook has done nothing. Wait till after tomorrow's announcements at least, as he's said the new fall products are going to special.
If you like to mess the facts like this to get your point taken, then you can go on. The true fact is that everyone knows Jobs was still in charged until 2011, he made all of the major decisions for Apple, including product announcement and launch. Cook was not officially named CEO until 2011. If there was a man behind the CEO controlling the company, he is definitely in charged and be influential of stock price.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1888 posts
656 upvotes
IMWHFMPC wrote: If you like to mess the facts like this to get your point taken, then you can go on. The true fact is that everyone knows Jobs was still in charged until 2011, he made all of the major decisions for Apple, including product announcement and launch. Cook was not officially named CEO until 2011. If there was a man behind the CEO controlling the company, he is definitely in charged and be influential of stock price.
Haha...have you known anyone dieing of cancer? I have and I can guarantee they could barely function some days, let alone run a $300B company making every major decision for the largest tech company in the world. I'm not saying he wasn't involved, but Steve jobs was not a full time CEO in the last year or two of his life.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
SurplusPlus wrote: As I mentioned (in another thread?) there've been zero credible iWatch leaks until today. If a concrete watch were actually being shown and sold tomorrow, we'd have seen more by now.

Apple are the master of public relations manipulation so today's prototype parts leaks are likely their way of throwing water on expectations that Tim Cook will be featuring iWatch tomorrow for big fall launch.

They can't just come out with an announcement saying "Contrary to all the rumors, we don't have the wearable ready yet!" because that's a negative/disappointing message that gives journalists a sound bite to paint the event as a disappointment in waiting.

So instead they let someone show rudimentary images so that we adjust our expectations to realize the wearable is a long ways off.

It may be hinted at tomorrow, and get a more true announcement in, let's say, January.

iPhone and iPad are big and legitimate enough to carry the show, and the built in payment tagging will be the story. Rudimentary health sensing might be included.
Try this little video iwatch

Apple insider
On the eve of Apple's big media event, ABC News on Monday posted a teaser spot for an exclusive report covering what the broadcaster calls a "historic announcement.
Maybe just maybe apples gonna reshape the little icons and add darker pastels.....nah they won't be that stupid ;)
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
MMMM wrote: Try this little video iwatch

Apple insider

Maybe just maybe apples gonna reshape the little icons and add darker pastels.....nah they won't be that stupid ;)
Although that video looks as fake as a $3 bill, you do raise the valid point that some insider journalists have said "historic" announcement, and I would agree that incremental phone/tablets are not "historic". They could however be hyping the idea of a payment token as "historic", depending on how high or low one's bar is on "historic".
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
SurplusPlus wrote: Although that video looks as fake as a $3 bill, you do raise the valid point that some insider journalists have said "historic" announcement, and I would agree that increment phone/tablets are not "historic". They could however be hyping the idea of a payment token as "historic", depending on how high or low one's bar is on "historic".
;

I kinda see historic as:
his·tor·ic

/hiˈstôrik,-ˈstär-/

adjective

adjective: historic

famous or important in history, or potentially so.
"we are standing on a historic site"

synonyms: significant, notable, important, momentous, consequential, memorable, newsworthy, unforgettable, remarkable;

Better be damn good tomorrow!
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
MMMM wrote: ;

I kinda see historic as:

Better be damn good tomorrow!
The news media's definition of "historic" is anything that gets people to tune in (like a girl dressing her pet squirrel in a top hat.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)