Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] Apple USB Power Adapter Takeback Program: get an official Apple USB charger for $11

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2013 3:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1600 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
The wording on their website appears to allow for multiple charger purchases for just a single "turn-in" provided you bring in the same amount of iDevices for proof of ownership.
For a limited time, you can purchase one Apple USB power adapter at a special price — $10 USD or approximate equivalent in local currency. To qualify, you must turn in at least one USB power adapter and bring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to an Apple Retail Store or participating Apple Authorized Service Provider for serial number validation. The special pricing on Apple USB power adapters is limited to one adapter for each iPhone, iPad, and iPod you own and is valid until October 18, 2013.
So I can bring in a single cheap charger, and say 10 iPhones and then be able to buy 10 real chargers for my devices. Somebody go and confirm for me. :p
Banned
Aug 12, 2012
218 posts
37 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Vacillator wrote:
Aug 8th, 2013 10:15 am
Why don't apple just permanently lower the price of replacement/extra adapters permanently if they want to ensure the safety of their customers? That would seem to be the better approach than this limited-time program.
That's like saying why don't apple lower their MacBook prices so that all the haters who can't afford them will shut up
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8326 posts
2970 upvotes
Southern Ontario
HowEver wrote:
Aug 8th, 2013 1:40 pm
Easily exchanged under warranty, unless it shows signs of abuse. In fact, it's so easy to exchange under warranty, it begs the question why post here?
I completely forgot about that.
Will they exchange if it's still working?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5701 posts
1848 upvotes
mmmken wrote:
Aug 8th, 2013 5:07 pm
The wording on their website appears to allow for multiple charger purchases for just a single "turn-in" provided you bring in the same amount of iDevices for proof of ownership.

So I can bring in a single cheap charger, and say 10 iPhones and then be able to buy 10 real chargers for my devices. Somebody go and confirm for me. :p
Ah dammit. Bought 2 crap wall chargers yesterday on eBay for $1.80 cdn. :(
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
4751 posts
635 upvotes
GTA
AncasterRFD wrote:
Aug 8th, 2013 6:07 pm
I completely forgot about that.
Will they exchange if it's still working?
Just say its intermittent... they know the lightning cables are breaking left right and centre!

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
5409 posts
919 upvotes
popbottle wrote:
Aug 6th, 2013 12:33 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/06/tech/mobi ... ?hpt=hp_t3
Starting on August 16, Apple will offer users of third-party iPhone, iPad, and iPod power adapters the chance to trade their old chargers in and pick up a genuine model at a discount.
The USB Power Adapter Takeback Program will allow you to bring your third-party adapter in to an Apple Store or Apple authorized service provider and get an Apple-branded adapter for $10 ("or the approximate equivalent in local currency"), just over half of the standard price of $19.
The program is being offered in response to "safety issues" related to "counterfeit and third-party adapters."
"Customer safety is a top priority at Apple," the company said in its announcement. "That's why all of our products—including USB power adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod—undergo rigorous testing for safety and reliability and are designed to meet government safety standards around the world."
Electrocuted by charging iPhone 5?
This program has almost certainly been prompted by reports from last month, which alleged that an iPhone had electrocuted and killed a Chinese flight attendant. Later reports pointed to a third-party charger, not the phone itself, as the actual culprit.
Apple will run the program until October 18, 2013, and the company will give users one discounted charger for each iPhone, iPad, and iPod owned. Interested parties will need to bring their iDevices in along with the power adapters so that Apple and its resellers can verify the devices' serial numbers.
The old adapters will be "disposed of in an environmentally friendly way."
Someone died because of their crappy products, so instead of a recall/replacement they try to sell it at a lower cost. If this is isn't greed, I don't know what is ?
Apple is currently having a rocky relationship in China, their sales dropped from 36% in 2012 to just 6% now because of their policy to try to short change the consumers in China with just a 3 month warranty instead of a 1 year one like the rest of the world for their iPhones and iPads. Apple's CEO is in China all week trying to fix their image ...and yes I am a hater of anything Abble !

Once you get on the bad side of the nationalistic and patriotic Chinese consumers, its game over for Abble. European companies learnt that the hard way !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbrPrx3oLE
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14312 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
EdT586 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2013 8:02 pm
Someone died because of their crappy products, so instead of a recall/replacement they try to sell it at a lower cost. If this is isn't greed, I don't know what is ?
Apple is currently having a rocky relationship in China, their sales dropped from 36% in 2012 to just 6% now because of their policy to try to short change the consumers in China with just a 3 month warranty instead of a 1 year one like the rest of the world for their iPhones and iPads. Apple's CEO is in China all week trying to fix their image ...and yes I am a hater of anything Abble !

Once you get on the bad side of the nationalistic and patriotic Chinese consumers, its game over for Abble. European companies learnt that the hard way !
Haters gonna hate. They still make great overpriced products.
Sep 13, 2012
30 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
has this deal started in canada the replacement USB program, like has anyone tried this yet and suceeded or it hasent started in canada yet
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
4751 posts
635 upvotes
GTA
I'd be interested to know if it is ONLY for power or for adapters too.. i bought a knock off lightning to 30pin which didn't work after a while... i am a bit reluctant to pay $21 for the mini usb to lightning adapter!

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11
Banned
Aug 12, 2012
218 posts
37 upvotes
NORTH YORK
EdT586 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2013 8:02 pm

Reading must be hard these days

The Chinese woman died because she used a third party knock off charger, yet you are somehow attributing this to apple's "crappy" products.

Go back to your cave, useless troll.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5701 posts
1848 upvotes
Magoomba wrote:
Aug 9th, 2013 3:40 am
So the morale of the storey is knock off power adapters are bad, but knock off cables are fine?
Yup. Pretty much. :S
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1072 posts
142 upvotes
Markham
Think I can bring in my old Apple firewire charger? Still got 2 of those, and though they are fine for my old Nano, they don't do squat for my iPhones.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
5297 posts
1257 upvotes
Montreal
HDawg wrote:
Aug 9th, 2013 7:34 am
Think I can bring in my old Apple firewire charger? Still got 2 of those, and though they are fine for my old Nano, they don't do squat for my iPhones.
apple store employees can be flexible so it could work.

However, it does not fit the objective to change a 3rd party iPhone/iPad charger... so don't be surprised if it does not wprk.
× < >