Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Apple

Apple USB Power Adapter Takeback Program: get an official Apple USB charger for $11

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2013 3:36 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 23, 2008
25 posts
2 upvotes
I wonder if they'll take an official apple one that doesnt function anymore
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Stingemaster wrote: I wonder if they'll take an official apple one that doesnt function anymore
Ymmv. The program is for fake chargers.

However, if your device is under warranty, it should not be a problem if it's within a year old, and at no cost being a claim.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
AncasterRFD wrote: Ymmv. The program is for fake chargers.

However, if your device is under warranty, it should not be a problem if it's within a year old, and at no cost being a claim.
Thank you! Finally somebody brought up an important point.
While not all third party adapters have an issue, we are announcing a USB Power Adapter Takeback Program to enable customers to acquire properly designed adapters.
why would apple take back @hiregod genuine Apple USB power adapter under the USB Power Adapter Takeback Program? if, on the other hand, he requested for repairs / replacement (if it's still under warranty), then I understand his frustration
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
hiregod wrote: This is complete BS, I went to the Apple store at Eaton on Friday after work, there is only one guy in the entire store doing this. Got me waited for like 15 minutes before telling me this is original charger so I won't be able to have the one replaced without paying the full price. I asked him why can't I get a replacement on the original one if the original one has worse quality than the knock-offs, he basically accused me of breaking the adaptor and tried to get replacement for cheap and just walked away. (Like I'd rather have a good one, break it, and waste half an hour there so that I can get a new one)

Seriously????!!!! Now I know why Apple stock is down like crazy, idiots running the show indeed.
Check his post. "One guy doing this"... takeback program or Apple issues? "replaced"... so he was looking for replacement, not to buy a new one for $11.
Again, we don't know the full context. If he came in saying that his authentic charger was dead, and it came with a device under warranty... it should have been replaced.

Details are missing, but it's possible he did not have his device with him and he did not buy it at Apple so there wasn't a serial that could be validated.
On the other hand, if it's producing 12w, it's likely new, and it would have been replaced (ymmv). Customer vs CSR attitude and discretion also plays a large part.

I wouldn't side 100% either way unless I knew all the details.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
AncasterRFD wrote: Check his post.
he did say this
I asked him why can't I get a replacement on the original one if the original one has worse quality than the knock-offs,

Maybe the CSR confused his request as trading in his genuine one under the program vs. replacing it under the warranty
Aug 3, 2007
139 posts
118 upvotes
if i have a 3rd party car charger that doesnt work, can i bring that in?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
soccerboy wrote: he did say this

Maybe the CSR confused his request as trading in his genuine one under the program vs. replacing it under the warranty
+1, quite possible
Jun 8, 2010
198 posts
110 upvotes
Edmonton
Doesn't seem to make sense, unless...he got an older iPad with him that came with older charger. So no warranty replacement and not qualify for the takeback program. If it has to be that way, just find someone with newer iPad that is still under warranty and get it replaced for free. Use that as last resource only. I still hear them handing out 10w and not 12w, so Apple employee shouldn't have accused him of breaking his and trying to get newer one for cheap.

Don't make matter worse by saying knockoff lasts longer than theirs, even if it's true.
Apr 8, 2009
560 posts
184 upvotes
B.C
Just got my IPAD (3RD GEN) exchange for the 12w one. Total cost 11 + %12 = $ 12.32
And they give you the one in bulk bag not the retail one. If you already got a fake charger sitting around then get it done, otherwise
don't bother to buy one from ebay and go through this bull ....

* Avoid these scumbags at Metrotown center at all cost. I have to make a reservation, the guy said he booked mine at 11:40 a.m . Wait til 11:45 a.m
nobody comes to serve. Call one of the guy standing there, pretending that he's doing something ... said ok ... that he could help me. The scumbag got
piss cuz I want a 12w adapter, said they will call me when they have new stock comming. I demand to see the manager and really give it to them all.
Went to Oakridge Center and get it done in 5min.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2408 posts
555 upvotes
Tried to exchange one at The Source, because it said you could either go to an Apple Retail Store or one of the authorized dealers on the site. The employees at The Source had no clue about it. They phoned another store...same thing. So I left empty-handed.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
robster77 wrote: Tried to exchange one at The Source, because it said you could either go to an Apple Retail Store or one of the authorized dealers on the site. The employees at The Source had no clue about it. They phoned another store...same thing. So I left empty-handed.
it says
Apple Authorized Service Provider
you're lucky the The Source didn't make fun of you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
robster77 wrote: Tried to exchange one at The Source, because it said you could either go to an Apple Retail Store or one of the authorized dealers on the site. The employees at The Source had no clue about it. They phoned another store...same thing. So I left empty-handed.
soccerboy wrote: it says

you're lucky the The Source didn't make fun of you.
Actually it says "participating Apple Authorized Service Provider"
Obviously they are not 'participating'
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
soccerboy wrote: do you understand the difference between Authorized Service Provider and Apple Authorized Resellers? :facepalm:
Yes I do. Didn't realize they didn't service them too (by service I mean ship it out obviously). But point taken.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
redgrandam wrote: Yes I do. Didn't realize they didn't service them too (by service I mean ship it out obviously). But point taken.
yeah, a lot of customers have this confusion as well. That's why the Apple website has links for various services (Authorized resellers, retail stores, authorized service provider)
Jul 6, 2009
276 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
How can you tell if a cable is original?

I have 4 cables. Only 2 of these are original. How can I tell which is which?