• Oct 30th, 2012 11:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
3047 posts
701 upvotes

Apple vs Everyone

I thought this was a superb editorial...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/apple-vs-everyone/

[QUOTE]It's a big storm, moving slowly. A gigantic span of ferocious swirl meets a front of chilly resistance. The effect of that collision is amplified by powerful tidal influence. Upheavals and surges swamp the landscape. Many people are displaced; countless others stay with the familiar.

Also, in the real world, some nasty weather is happening. But I'm talking about the tech industry of the last five business days, which has aligned and concentrated its forces in a crystal-clear demonstration, if one were needed, that mobile is where the bets are placed and futures will be won and lost.

Apple is at the eye of the storm, where its devoted legions expect it, but no longer as a pioneer. Defending its territory rather than breaking new ground, the post-Jobs company did something its late and fabled leader scorned, split hairs to justify it, engaged in implicit combat with four competitors, ticked off some of its best customers and was squeezed by inexorable pressure of a quickly evolving industry.

As I noted a week ago, it has been a perfect storm of product announcements and earnings releases. The two are always entwined. Though we like to imagine that companies are solely dedicated to the happiness of consumers at the end of the chain, the drumbeat of quarterly reports is what drives most decisions around product timing and the release of feature sets.

This umbilical connection was etched in bold relief last week when Apple announced a new mini-maxi-Mac product lineup just two days before its Q4 earnings call. The mysteries of one were explained by the other... continue reading[/QUOTE]
10 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
normally Engadget is extremely pro-Apple, but this article is actually pretty mutual.

which is probably the change of tide even in the popular media. Apple is no longer the "cool kid" and frankly, they are starting to turn people off with its sub-par and overpriced products.

Welcome to the Post-Job world, people are not as 'smitten' with Tim Cook
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
they are sucking their isheep dry
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
Totally agree.

Apple had some great things when they started, but now it seems that they are recycling their product.

New faster chip but nothing Ground breaking.

New products should come out with improvements!

Im sticking to my older apple products until bigger and better things come (hopefully) !
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
badass wrote: Totally agree.

Apple had some great things when they started, but now it seems that they are recycling their product.

New faster chip but nothing Ground breaking.

New products should come out with improvements!

Im sticking to my older apple products until bigger and better things come (hopefully) !
worst part is to rebrand other people's technology, patent it and then sue them for using it.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2072 posts
440 upvotes
GTA
george__ wrote: I have a Apple Newton :D
Wow, that's rare. I have a IIe with dual floppies and monitor as well as a MacIntosh Classic sitting in my basement collecting dust.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Its absolutely fabulous hardware, but iOS otherwise sucks. And Apple is at a competitive disadvantage in terms of committing resources to it, being that they are not dominant in the market.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
Wow that is a damming article when you head down past the quoted text.

Samsung pwns in sales.

iPod sales didn't make estimates.
iPad sales didn't make estimates.
Mac sales didn't make estimates.

Profits down.
Stock down.

And coming from engadget.....
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
HandsomeRob wrote: Wow that is a damming article when you head down past the quoted text.

Samsung pwns in sales.

iPod sales didn't make estimates.
iPad sales didn't make estimates.
Mac sales didn't make estimates.

Profits down.
Stock down.

And coming from engadget.....
also, you forgot that future estimate of profit margin also down.

its CEO-in-waiting just got fired.
it's map system sucked. S3 sales actually spiked after iPhone 5 releases.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2072 posts
440 upvotes
GTA
And now Forbes is dumping on Apple: Article: in-a-war-of-attrition-microsoft-will-beat-apple/

" Apple has always maintained a closed ecosystem and insists on making its own hardware and software. Steve Jobs’ pigheadedness is the reason why it was the Wintel platform and not the Mac that came to dominate the desktop and laptop markets.

It’s all happening again. "

I lived through that battle having owned IIe and MacIntosh and I've been saying it's happening all over again. They are looking at also designing their own chips again as they recruited one of Samsung's key chip architect too

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)