Expired Hot Deals

[Apple] Apple Watch Series 2 Refurbs are back up!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 11:04 am
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2513 posts
1065 upvotes
Vancouver
bytemovies wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 4:13 am
Difference between Series 1 and 2 is basically GPS right? Or does Series 2 also introduce waterproofing?

Honestly at $40 difference I will wait for more Series 2, $309 is too much. If it was a reasonable price difference like $250 then maybe I would bite.
Series 1 lacks GPS and submerging water resistance. It's still splash resistant.
Nov 3, 2016
43 posts
15 upvotes
Spinner wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 11:16 pm
Series 1 lacks GPS and submerging water resistance. It's still splash resistant.
The Series 2 also has about 30% more battery capacity and its display is twice as bright.
Feb 27, 2011
806 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Spinner,

I have read concerns elsewhere that putting a plastic or metal shell case is not a good idea because the shell case itself actually scratches the watch (especially by the hard case's edges) and that it is better to put a skins on it to cover both the screen and the side. Unlike with phone cases, the watch cases are often too tight fitting (with low tolerance) and prone to scratch the watch.
What is your experience so far with these type of cases.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2627 posts
230 upvotes
Calgary
wadokai wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 11:46 pm
OOS seems =/
Stock randomly shows up, you gotta keep checking.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2513 posts
1065 upvotes
Vancouver
shyhermit wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:21 am
Spinner,

I have read concerns elsewhere that putting a plastic or metal shell case is not a good idea because the shell case itself actually scratches the watch (especially by the hard case's edges) and that it is better to put a skins on it to cover both the screen and the side. Unlike with phone cases, the watch cases are often too tight fitting (with low tolerance) and prone to scratch the watch.
What is your experience so far with these type of cases.
The case fits tightly against the watch with no movement. Skins may protect against light scratches and aren't effective against impact.

I'll take the risk of microscopic scratches on hard to see areas of the watch rather than a dented case or cracked display. My wrist is up against bathroom sinks (porcelain, glass), doors (wood, metal), and furniture every day. A repair through a shop is cost prohibitive ($200+). Even with AppleCare+, the price is $150 or nearly half the cost of the watch.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19433 posts
7826 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
For those wondering about the durability of the series 0 gorilla glass, it’s exceptional.

I’ve worn my watch every waking hour since April 2015. Played tons of sports in it (some contact) and I have like one small scratch on the screen. That’s it.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1782 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
I was going to buy a refurb Apple Watch (series 2) but I came across someone from my building selling a "great condition, never used" (but clearly unboxed) series 2 38mm Apple Watch for $200. Should I pounce on this instead of just getting a refurb one?

Obviously with buying used, not sure of the warranty (the seller doesn't know) and have to be sure that Activation Lock is off... dunno what else I should be weary of but since this is someone who lives in the same building as me at least it's less sketch than buying from a stranger on Kijiji I'll never possibly see again.
Dec 21, 2013
823 posts
501 upvotes
GTA
rockthecasbah wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 9:58 pm
I was going to buy a refurb Apple Watch (series 2) but I came across someone from my building selling a "great condition, never used" (but clearly unboxed) series 2 38mm Apple Watch for $200. Should I pounce on this instead of just getting a refurb one?

Obviously with buying used, not sure of the warranty (the seller doesn't know) and have to be sure that Activation Lock is off... dunno what else I should be weary of but since this is someone who lives in the same building as me at least it's less sketch than buying from a stranger on Kijiji I'll never possibly see again.
Good deal. I'd take it if you don't want it.
Nov 3, 2006
188 posts
17 upvotes
Just ask for the serial number, you can find out exactly how much warranty is remaining
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1782 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
dinostars wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:25 pm
Just ask for the serial number, you can find out exactly how much warranty is remaining
Ah yeah I'll see if the seller can check for me. If $200 is a great deal, even if outside of warranty, would it still be worth it? I mean generally I don't end up using warranty for things but it's always nice to have, of course.