Hot Deals

[Apple] Apple Watch Series 2 Refurbs are back up!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 11:04 am
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1774 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
rockthecasbah wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 9:58 pm
I was going to buy a refurb Apple Watch (series 2) but I came across someone from my building selling a "great condition, never used" (but clearly unboxed) series 2 38mm Apple Watch for $200. Should I pounce on this instead of just getting a refurb one?

Obviously with buying used, not sure of the warranty (the seller doesn't know) and have to be sure that Activation Lock is off... dunno what else I should be weary of but since this is someone who lives in the same building as me at least it's less sketch than buying from a stranger on Kijiji I'll never possibly see again.
Update: the person sold me a series 0 Apple Watch! Gah! I am going to try to get my money back but yea, too good to be true.

Back to waiting for a refurb series 2 watch.
Apr 23, 2014
747 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rockthecasbah wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:03 pm
Update: the person sold me a series 0 Apple Watch! Gah! I am going to try to get my money back but yea, too good to be true.

That sucks...hope you get your money back since he/she clearly misrepresented it as series 2
Feb 27, 2011
748 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Did you look at the box when you picked up the item? It should say Series 2 on the box. My friend had a similar experience with a buyer recently, though we are not sure if the buyer was deliberately misrepresenting or simply did not at all know the difference between the different generations...
rockthecasbah wrote:

Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1774 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
shyhermit wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:15 pm
Did you look at the box when you picked up the item? It should say Series 2 on the box. My friend had a similar experience with a buyer recently, though we are not sure if the buyer was deliberately misrepresenting or simply did not at all know the difference between the different generations...
Yeah so I should've seen the signs because I had studied the box online for series 2 last night but trying to be an affable buyer, I only glanced at the box, didn't pick it up to look at both ends to notice there was no series 2 part. I also should've realized it because the boot up screen took forever to get past the Apple logo. The seller still insists it was a series 2 so not sure if shady or just unaware. Luckily I know where she lives so I guess there's that.
Jul 13, 2013
478 posts
191 upvotes
rockthecasbah wrote:

I would think that had to be deliberate. Most people mistake the first generation watch (series 0) as a series 1, not a series 2. I find that hard to believe.
Oct 16, 2005
320 posts
88 upvotes
rockthecasbah wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:29 pm
Yeah so I should've seen the signs because I had studied the box online for series 2 last night but trying to be an affable buyer, I only glanced at the box, didn't pick it up to look at both ends to notice there was no series 2 part. I also should've realized it because the boot up screen took forever to get past the Apple logo. The seller still insists it was a series 2 so not sure if shady or just unaware. Luckily I know where she lives so I guess there's that.
Picked up a series 2 from bestbuy. I ordered the regular black one but they had the Nike+ one for the same price so I ordered that instead and the unit looks brand new. I can also buy the best buy warranty for it if I choose too.
Sep 2, 2017
167 posts
83 upvotes
Canada
rockthecasbah wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:29 pm

Hey dose it have the series 2 on the back of the watch?
Images
  • 3E13581A-4392-4310-9EBA-88C390A7FCF2.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1774 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
ANONYT wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:06 am
Hey dose it have the series 2 on the back of the watch?
Nope. Definitely series 0. Wish I knew it showed that.

I also was reading up on the series 2 that was discontinued Sept 2016 when the new series 2 was released. Ugh buying an Apple Watch without properly looking up model numbers is a lot less straightforward than anticipated. Just better to buy new/refurb.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1774 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
So wondering what people thought about whether Apple Watch series 0 is worth just keeping if bought at $200. It looks to be a good/new condition watch and not sure if the additional features (faster, water resistant up to 50m, better display, GPS but heavier) in series 2, which is also discontinued, is worth the extra at least $100+.

GPS would be nice but I’m not a runner so not end of the world.

The trying to get the seller to return my money for the watch back has been a huge pain. And selling it is also a pain because of low ballers and coordinating meet ups.

So series 0, still decent enough or the slowness is too unbearable? Worth it for $200?

- Now realizing the Activation Lock is on so I have to still sort it out with the seller. Oy :s Lesson learned, buying Apple Watch used from someone, SO MUCH TO LOOK OUT FOR (this activation lock was known to me but was told it was never set up... lies... and the batteries were dying so it only showed the set up screen with language choice)
Feb 27, 2011
748 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
S0 is quite limited in function and very slow compared to S2. If the S0 is aluminum, $200 is probably above current market value and it will be difficult to find a buyer willing to pay up, especially when you can probably shop for an used S1 for the same amount (the prices on Kijiji or Craigslist vary very widely). If you can afford the $100+ premium, S2 is a much better choice.

It is a good thing that you know how to locate the seller. Otherwise, with the Activation Lock still on, your watch is just a very expensive paperweight.
rockthecasbah wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:13 pm
So wondering what people thought about whether Apple Watch series 0 is worth just keeping if bought at $200. It looks to be a good/new condition watch and not sure if the additional features (faster, water resistant up to 50m, better display, GPS but heavier) in series 2, which is also discontinued, is worth the extra at least $100+.

The trying to get the seller to return my money for the watch back has been a huge pain. And selling it is also a pain because of low ballers and coordinating meet ups.

So series 0, still decent enough or the slowness is too unbearable? Worth it for $200?

- Now realizing the Activation Lock is on so I have to still sort it out with the seller. Oy :s Lesson learned, buying Apple Watch used from someone, SO MUCH TO LOOK OUT FOR (this activation lock was known to me but was told it was never set up... lies... and the batteries were dying so it only showed the set up screen with language choice)
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1774 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
shyhermit wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 9:07 pm
S0 is quite limited in function and very slow compared to S2. If the S0 is aluminum, $200 is probably above current market value and it will be difficult to find a buyer willing to pay up, especially when you can probably shop for an used S1 for the same amount (the prices on Kijiji or Craigslist vary very widely). If you can afford the $100+ premium, S2 is a much better choice.

It is a good thing that you know how to locate the seller. Otherwise, with the Activation Lock still on, your watch is just a very expensive paperweight.
Thanks for the feedback.
And yes, the activation lock thing really makes this an expensive paperweight! I'm still waiting for the seller to unlock it :\

As for the s0 watch, it's the standard one - I guess aluminum with a composite back?

I tested the waters out to sell it and seems like there's interest coming through for buyers wanting it but looking at kijiji, can't seem to find any series 1 cheaper than $250 (average seems to be between $250-300).

I did watch some youtube videos comparing the series 0 speed vs series 1/2 and I mean boot up time is WAY slower but apps seems slower but not mindnumbingly/super obviously slow.
Last edited by rockthecasbah on Nov 17th, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
3153 posts
1324 upvotes
Calgary
rockthecasbah wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 8:13 pm

Take him to small claims court, or beat the hell out of him.
I love my Koodo account.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1774 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
bkushner wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 10:09 pm
Take him to small claims court, or beat the hell out of him.
Waiting for them to unlock via icloud.com. Apparently does not know their Apple ID password :rolleyes:
Apr 23, 2014
747 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Superman_2099 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:27 pm
Picked up a series 2 from bestbuy. I ordered the regular black one but they had the Nike+ one for the same price so I ordered that instead and the unit looks brand new. I can also buy the best buy warranty for it if I choose too.
open box?
Oct 16, 2005
320 posts
88 upvotes
rockthecasbah wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 10:17 pm
Waiting for them to unlock via icloud.com. Apparently does not know their Apple ID password :rolleyes:
I had that issue with someone before, when I was selling my iPad. I met them again at a McDonald’s and did it as I would hate for that to happen to me.

My Nike + S2 has a slow start up but runs nice. I’m not sure why iOS it is running though