Cell Phones

Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular: Only Bell initially, then Telus. No Rogers.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 3:12 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14110 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto

Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular: Only Bell initially, then Telus. No Rogers.

I wasn't interested in Series 1 or 2 for the Apple Watch, but would consider Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular LTE & UMTS if it was supported on Fido / Rogers. But it isn't. Oh well. We'll see what Bell and Telus offer for it. I'm not optimistic, esp. compared to my 6 GB $60 BYOD plan on Fido.

You need specific support presumably because you share the phone number with your cell phone, even though you don't need to have the cell phone with you.
126 replies
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
IF the monthly price is right, I'll definitely pick it up.
If you have to sign up for a $70-$80 plan for the watch, forget that!
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16679 posts
376 upvotes
I was actually impressed with the watch, too bad everything else is so over priced with the dollar being where it is.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10238 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EugW wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:41 pm
I wasn't interested in Series 1 or 2 for the Apple Watch, but would consider Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular LTE & UMTS if it was supported on Fido / Rogers. But it isn't. Oh well. We'll see what Bell and Telus offer for it. I'm not optimistic, esp. compared to my 6 GB $60 BYOD plan on Fido.

You need specific support presumably because you share the phone number with your cell phone, even though you don't need to have the cell phone with you.
Anyone know why Rogers/Fido won't support it? I assume it's not a technical issue. If enough Rogers customers ask for it, would they cave in later?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26195 posts
6059 upvotes
GTHA
YorkIT wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:01 pm
IF the monthly price is right, I'll definitely pick it up.
If you have to sign up for a $70-$80 plan for the watch, forget that!
"What is Bell’s pricing to add your Apple Watch cellular to your existing smartphone plan? It will cost $5 per month on a new Smartwatch Plan add-on (Includes NumberShare), while a promotion will offer customers who activate an Apple Watch the first three months free."

from http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/b ... -cellular/
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1619 posts
816 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
It should be because of the eSIM. Rogers always slow to adopt new technology.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1609 posts
121 upvotes
North York
I have to say that's a very good price. Too bad no Rogers support.
Apr 23, 2007
368 posts
71 upvotes
Montreal
Really want the new watch but no Rogers support! I guess I will have to wait.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10238 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bomber17 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:48 pm
Ah that makes sense. Damn Rogers.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14110 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:41 pm
"What is Bell’s pricing to add your Apple Watch cellular to your existing smartphone plan? It will cost $5 per month on a new Smartwatch Plan add-on (Includes NumberShare), while a promotion will offer customers who activate an Apple Watch the first three months free."

from http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/b ... -cellular/
Yeah, but what are the plan prices, especially for new users? $5 as an add-on is fine but not if the original plan has to be a retail $$$ one.
Sep 20, 2011
115 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:59 pm
Yeah, but what are the plan prices, especially for new users? $5 as an add-on is fine but not if the original plan has to be a retail $$$ one.
Probably on a minimum 2 year $80/month plan.
Jun 23, 2003
220 posts
51 upvotes
Fair pricing. Hope Telus comes in similar.
A couple interesting things here...Numbershare...I know it's for the AW, but would love it if they extended it to multiple phones using the same number without having to swap sims.
Secondly, how does the AW work over LTE, does it need any Iphone connection at all? Even if your IP is at home?
Otherwise, could you activate AW with IP, swap out the sim in your phone to an Android phone, and have the AW still work over LTE and carry your IP? Where would calls and texts go to, the AW or Android phone? I assume you could...if your IP was at home and turned off, you'd assume the AW would still work over LTE.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bomber17 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:48 pm
That's is not true. Rogers is usually the first with new technology.
May 23, 2007
765 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
Really conflicted here. Was fully intending on getting Series 3 Stainless Steel but its a shame that you have to get the Cellular version, so I have a few options:

1) Series 3 Stainless Steel Cellular - Most expensive, newest tech
2) Series 3 Sport Non-Cellular - Cheapest, newest tech
3) Series 2 Refurb (still available) - Moderate Priced, older tech what do you guys think?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1993 posts
420 upvotes
Thornhill
browna wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:24 pm
A couple interesting things here...Numbershare...I know it's for the AW, but would love it if they extended it to multiple phones using the same number without having to swap sims.
Even though there is no technical barrier to implement this, I doubt they would allow it .
Secondly, how does the AW work over LTE, does it need any Iphone connection at all? Even if your IP is at home?
No, iPhone is not needed once set up.
Otherwise, could you activate AW with IP, swap out the sim in your phone to an Android phone, and have the AW still work over LTE and carry your IP? Where would calls and texts go to, the AW or Android phone? I assume you could...if your IP was at home and turned off, you'd assume the AW would still work over LTE.
My guess is that it should still work. This is a carrier function and feature. Call and texts should go to both devices.