Cell Phones

Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular: Only Bell initially, then Telus. No Rogers.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 10:38 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13993 posts
2310 upvotes
Toronto
kuznagi wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:58 pm
Really conflicted here. Was fully intending on getting Series 3 Stainless Steel but its a shame that you have to get the Cellular version, so I have a few options:

1) Series 3 Stainless Steel Cellular - Most expensive, newest tech
2) Series 3 Sport Non-Cellular - Cheapest, newest tech
3) Series 2 Refurb (still available) - Moderate Priced, older tech what do you guys think?
Series 3 is supposedly way faster than Series 2.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25061 posts
5549 upvotes
GTHA
Here is The Verge’s full first look at the new Apple Watch:

EugW wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:48 pm
Series 3 is supposedly way faster than Series 2.
Yes, Series 3 boasts a new dual-core processor with up to 70 percent more performance.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16167 posts
1023 upvotes
Woodbridge
As much as I love my phones and technology I really don't get the point of Smart Watches.

Even with this cellular version, which makes more sense but at the same time isn't it unnecessary. Another way for Bell to rack up your wireless bill.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1473 posts
721 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:53 pm
As much as I love my phones and technology I really don't get the point of Smart Watches.

Even with this cellular version, which makes more sense but at the same time isn't it unnecessary. Another way for Bell to rack up your wireless bill.
For me it's great with work. During conference meetings where you can't look at your phone, you can just check on your watch. It's also nice to check my fitness and heart rate. I can do a lot more on my watch now without taking my phone out of my pocket. It's like you don't really need it if you don't have it, but once you have it, you find a need for it lol.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4682 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto
Does anybody see an fire sales on Apple Watch 2 models? They're no longer selling these.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7936 posts
1216 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:14 pm
I was actually impressed with the watch, too bad everything else is so over priced with the dollar being where it is.
Same

If I could use the watch with my Samsung I would buy it. Apple would sell a ton more watches if they allowed them to talk to Android.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
281 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Guys, rather than looking at a blog post on iphoneincanada, here's the actual link on Bell's website.

This is cool, first time to my knowledge that we see this feature come to smart watches.

Limited to VoLTE coverage, which means most provinces other than MB/SK (looks like Bell hasn't fully upgraded the Bell MTS cellular network yet).

My understanding is this requires VoLTE as it's a digital voice connection in order to handle the second instance (user) for the same phone number. This makes sense, as otherwise two sim cards cannot host the same number for a 3G cellular voice connection.

I'm impressed that Bell, the one of the big three who has not yet officially rolled out VoLTE on its network, is leading the pack with VoLTE on Apple Smartwatch.

Hopefully we'll see more of this, and even extend to Android watches (probably Samsung).
bembol wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:53 pm

I don't think this is much of a cash grab for Bell. It's simply to offer a unique service to compete with Rogers and TELUS. We all know that most iPhone users go with Rogers/Bell/Telus and don't bother with subsidiaries in order to pay less upfront for more expensive phones.
EugW wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:00 pm
Rogers on Apple Watch Series 3 Cellular: “Will Be Something We Look At”

A spokesperson replied via email to say “Rogers and Fido are not currently carrying the Apple Watch. Carrying the Apple Watch will be something we look at as we expand of our device portfolio.”
Not surprising, since Rogers already offers VoLTE, plus Unison for businesses. Wouldn't be too hard for them to do it. No idea whether implementation would be as nice as on Bell.
bomber17 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:16 am
For me it's great with work. During conference meetings where you can't look at your phone, you can just check on your watch. It's also nice to check my fitness and heart rate. I can do a lot more on my watch now without taking my phone out of my pocket. It's like you don't really need it if you don't have it, but once you have it, you find a need for it lol.
It's not for everyone, and it certainly isn't for me any time soon as I don't like watches.

Conference meetings currently turn a blind eye to watches, but that may eventually change.
kool1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:22 am
Same

If I could use the watch with my Samsung I would buy it. Apple would sell a ton more watches if they allowed them to talk to Android.
They make more money on phones than watches...why should they allow their watches to work with Android when they only believe in vendor lock-in?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13993 posts
2310 upvotes
Toronto
Uh, no thanks.

Q: 4. Can I use NumberShare™on my Apple Watch Series 3 watch with non-Bell iPhones?
A: No, both devices must be activated on the Bell network for NumberShare™ to work.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7936 posts
1216 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:37 am
They make more money on phones than watches...why should they allow their watches to work with Android when they only believe in vendor lock-in?
I don't care really - I'm sure Samsung or someone else will release something similar.

At the end of the day no one needs these watches. Fun to have is all.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10048 posts
2977 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kool1 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:22 am
Same

That's never going to happen. Apple wants you more entrenched in the Apple ecosystem.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
281 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:59 am
Uh, no thanks.

Q: 4. Can I use NumberShare™on my Apple Watch Series 3 watch with non-Bell iPhones?
A: No, both devices must be activated on the Bell network for NumberShare™ to work.
Aren't all iPhones the same, regardless of carrier? Doesn't that mean that you could unlock a Rogers iPhone and go BYOD with Bell? Besides, many buy their iPhones at the Apple store.

I would imagine that would work. The point is, you can only number share between the phone and the watch on the same account, which would have to be Bell.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10048 posts
2977 upvotes
Toronto, ON
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:18 am
Aren't all iPhones the same, regardless of carrier? Doesn't that mean that you could unlock a Rogers iPhone and go BYOD with Bell? Besides, many buy their iPhones at the Apple store.

I would imagine that would work. The point is, you can only number share between the phone and the watch on the same account, which would have to be Bell.
I think that's correct. It doesn't say both devices have to be purchased from Bell. Just activated on Bell's network. So you can definitely BYOD from another carrier as long as it's unlocked.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13993 posts
2310 upvotes
Toronto
1. You don’t have to activate an iPhone on a network to use it on the network. You can activate an iPhone on any network if it unlocked. However, Bell specifically says it must be activated on their network. Note that you can reset a phone for reactivation but it would mean you as couldn’t as easily swap sims at will if that matters to you.

2. The FAQ specifically says non-Bell iPhones are excluded.

We will learn more later but it sounds like they will try to push Bell subsidized iPhone contracts for this.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2009
1160 posts
281 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:23 am
1. You don’t have to activate an iPhone on a network to use it on the network. You can activate an iPhone on any network if it unlocked. However, Bell specifically says it must be activated on their network. Note that you can reset a phone for reactivation but it would mean you as couldn’t as easily swap sims at will if that matters to you.

2. The FAQ specifically says non-Bell iPhones are excluded.

We will learn more later but it sounds like they will try to push Bell subsidized iPhone contracts for this.
My inside sources suggest that you could bring an iPhone from Apple store or unlocked from another carrier and it should work, as long as it registers on the Bell network.