Cell Phones

Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular: Only Bell initially, then Telus. No Rogers.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 3:12 am
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1840 posts
227 upvotes
$5/month to add the Series 3 to your data plan, as per Bell - FYI
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14115 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:14 am
My inside sources suggest that you could bring an iPhone from Apple store or unlocked from another carrier and it should work, as long as it registers on the Bell network.
Makes sense, but do you need to re-activate it on Bell's network? Ideally would just be full compatibility with any unlocked iPhone regardless of where it was activated. Maybe Bell's FAQ is misleading, but they do specifically state it must be activated on their network.
May 8, 2009
1781 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:17 am
Makes sense, but do you need to re-activate it on Bell's network? Ideally would just be full compatibility with any unlocked iPhone regardless of where it was activated. Maybe Bell's FAQ is misleading, but they do specifically state it must be activated on their network.
As I don't use an iPhone, I can only speculate that this may require a factory reset and not just a sim swap.

Granted Bell's site may not spell things out explicitly, but I'm sure iPhone users who are familiar with activating an iPhone on a carrier network should know what to expect.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1967 posts
936 upvotes
Oakville, ON
EugW wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:00 pm
Rogers on Apple Watch Series 3 Cellular: “Will Be Something We Look At”

A spokesperson replied via email to say “Rogers and Fido are not currently carrying the Apple Watch. Carrying the Apple Watch will be something we look at as we expand of our device portfolio.”
I'd consider switching to Bell from Rogers for this, but pricing out a family plan mobility package online with Bell looks like it'll be well over $100 more per month! And I thought Rogers was expensive.

Might have to go to a store and make sure I'm comparing apples to apples as their website sucks.
Jan 8, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
Don't quite understand the confusion. The carriers have had the technology to have one number result to multiple end-points for quite some time now (anyone remember MCI One in the states?) And that was before smartphones. :)

Aren't Bell and Telus still doing their network sharing? (Bell's network in the east, Telus' in the west)? I think the necessary upgrades in MB and SK to support VoLTE are the reason for the delay for Telus - they'll want virtually all of their subscribers to be able to purchase the Apple Watch 3 when they launch it (better value for their marketing $) - but they are losing out on a lot of free buzz from Apple's marketing by not going live on launch.

Anyone's guess as to why Rogers is holding off...maybe they want Bell to find the pain points for them? :) I can't see the electronic sim being any sort of hurdle.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10248 posts
3044 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I contacted Rogers via their Share a Concern page about not carrying the Apple Watch LTE and got this incoherent response:
Thank you for your email correspondence, my name is xxxx from the Rogers
Management Office in Kitchener. I understand the matter that you have
brought to our attention and it is at this time not provided as to why
we are not carrying the Apple Watch. We offer a great selection of
iPad's and iPhone's and hope in the future to offer these watches as
well. I know it is harder as Apple Canada as also stopped in house
financing and I appreciate your concerns/ feedback in regards to it.
In my message, I didn't say anything about financing so I don't know why he brought it up.
Aug 27, 2009
306 posts
151 upvotes
nosnoop wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:59 pm
My guess is that it should still work. This is a carrier function and feature. Call and texts should go to both devices.
That's very interesting but how could it treat imessages if your sim is in an Android phone? Can you link your Apple id using an email address on the AW?
I would assume not since you will be using it through cellular (or your iphone) anyways.
May 4, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
I can't see Apple allowing their watch to work with a non iPhone.
Oct 15, 2016
82 posts
17 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:41 pm
"What is Bell’s pricing to add your Apple Watch cellular to your existing smartphone plan? It will cost $5 per month on a new Smartwatch Plan add-on (Includes NumberShare), while a promotion will offer customers who activate an Apple Watch the first three months free."

from http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/b ... -cellular/
I imagine TELUS is going to offer something simliar as the US carriers are offering essentially the samething for $10/mo instead of $5.
I can live with $5 or $10 month.
Koodo & Public Mobile Customer.
Dec 5, 2004
272 posts
16 upvotes
Does anyone knows if Virgin will have NumberShare soon?

My plan is with Virgin. Thanks
May 8, 2009
1781 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
CanadianLurker wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:09 pm
I'd consider switching to Bell from Rogers for this, but pricing out a family plan mobility package online with Bell looks like it'll be well over $100 more per month! And I thought Rogers was expensive.

Might have to go to a store and make sure I'm comparing apples to apples as their website sucks.
Also check out The Source. They have to carry all the same inventory as Bell stores, and might be able to leverage better promo's than Bell stores. Also go to two or three Bell stores. Shop around.
OpenMobile wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:12 pm
Don't quite understand the confusion. The carriers have had the technology to have one number result to multiple end-points for quite some time now (anyone remember MCI One in the states?) And that was before smartphones. :)

Aren't Bell and Telus still doing their network sharing? (Bell's network in the east, Telus' in the west)? I think the necessary upgrades in MB and SK to support VoLTE are the reason for the delay for Telus - they'll want virtually all of their subscribers to be able to purchase the Apple Watch 3 when they launch it (better value for their marketing $) - but they are losing out on a lot of free buzz from Apple's marketing by not going live on launch.

Anyone's guess as to why Rogers is holding off...maybe they want Bell to find the pain points for them? :) I can't see the electronic sim being any sort of hurdle.
As for Telus, it'd be their loss, because SK/MB have small subscriber bases anyway. As for Rogers, there could be a plethora of reasons that are shielded from the general public. Now if LG were to launch a same number deal across LG phone and watch, it'd be a Rogers exclusive no doubt :P
rvs007 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:13 pm
I contacted Rogers via their Share a Concern page about not carrying the Apple Watch LTE and got this incoherent response:
In my message, I didn't say anything about financing so I don't know why he brought it up.
Beating around the bush, dancing to his own horn or drum (or music in his head)...
lleb13 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:27 pm
That's very interesting but how could it treat imessages if your sim is in an Android phone? Can you link your Apple id using an email address on the AW?
I would assume not since you will be using it through cellular (or your iphone) anyways.
I'm sure you could use Apple Watch 3 in a similar fashion to any other (Apple) smartwatch. I'm sure there's an option of going wifi only and doing iMessage via email. The exclusive feature is the same number deal that Bell is offering.
CreditCamel wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:52 pm
I can't see Apple allowing their watch to work with a non iPhone.
Obviously :D
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1624 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
CanadianLurker wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:09 pm

If you have a small business you can get a small biz plan which is cheaper than consumer. Phones are often cheaper too. If you don't have one, just sign up for a business number on CRA and make up your business. If you want to be shady, there are business numbers on receipts that the stores often use, YMMV of course. A lot of the stores also have a list of business numbers too that they use just to push sales.

Best promos are often at Glentel stores like Wireless Wave. They can also do small business plans IIRC as they're owned by Bell and Rogers. Dealer Bell stores often take a hit on device price to get a sale as well so shop around. These dealer Bell stores usually say Bell on their store sign but look for anywhere that says a secondary name like Mobile DNA as they are not corporate Bell stores and privately owned.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Jun 20, 2016
107 posts
9 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 12:45 pm
If you have a small business you can get a small biz plan which is cheaper than consumer. Phones are often cheaper too. If you don't have one, just sign up for a business number on CRA and make up your business. If you want to be shady, there are business numbers on receipts that the stores often use, YMMV of course. A lot of the stores also have a list of business numbers too that they use just to push sales.

Best promos are often at Glentel stores like Wireless Wave. They can also do small business plans IIRC as they're owned by Bell and Rogers. Dealer Bell stores often take a hit on device price to get a sale as well so shop around. These dealer Bell stores usually say Bell on their store sign but look for anywhere that says a secondary name like Mobile DNA as they are not corporate Bell stores and privately owned.
Do you know specifically any stores that are particularly good to go to in the GTA? And thanks for the business number tip! That's awesome!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1967 posts
936 upvotes
Oakville, ON
bomber17 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks! Just popped into a Bell corporate location on my lunch hour before seeing you post. The guy didn't mention anything about a small business so he basically just showed me what the brochure pricing comes out to. He did explain it better than the website, but still comes out more than Rogers.

I do contract consultant work so I do have a business number and GST number so I'll try again and will be sure to mention it as an option if they don't! Thanks for the tip!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1624 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
LevFin wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 1:07 pm
Do you know specifically any stores that are particularly good to go to in the GTA? And thanks for the business number tip! That's awesome!
Not too sure. I have heard that the Bell store in PMall is a dealer but haven't been there myself, I can't confirm. Through google I found GTA Telecom Inc on 1560 Brimley Road. A lot of the "corporate" Bell stores you see could also be dealer stores.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.