Cell Phones

Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular: Only Bell initially, then Telus. No Rogers.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 9:30 pm
Oct 13, 2016
9 posts
5 upvotes
I'm on Fido, and I too am waiting for Rogers/Fido to support the Apple Watch Series 3 LTE.

It appears there's some doubt as to whether Fido (and Rogers) actually have the technical means to support the eSIM. On May 2017 someone on the Fido support forums tried to activate a Samsung Gear S2 3g with eSIM and was told that Fido doesn't support the eSIM at all:
http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumto ... d-id/33162

If it's a matter of upgrading their infrastructure to support eSIM, that's going to take many months or else Rogers would've done what Telus did and commit to saying "coming later this year". By not saying anything at all that means it's probably going to be at least the second half of 2018 if not Apple Watch series 4 before Rogers support shows up.
Nov 7, 2013
62 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
So how many of you are switching to Bell (with the expensive shared data plan) just for the new Watch? I can't justify myself doing it...

I might still get the watch though
Jun 20, 2016
114 posts
10 upvotes
shane716 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 12:04 pm
So how many of you are switching to Bell (with the expensive shared data plan) just for the new Watch? I can't justify myself doing it...

I might still get the watch though
I think I'm going to do it - switch to a Small business plan, and get a new iPhone, and then sell my old one to pay off my contract. With the promotions, I basically break even over two years, even with the increased costs.
Jun 20, 2016
114 posts
10 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 9:41 am
Maybe switching to Bell won’t be worthwhile if they don’t solve the issues they’re having with the new cellular feature...,
I'll bet it's fixed within a couple weeks, and for now you can just not connect to those free wifis that have a clickwall on them and everything will work fine until then.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2667 posts
104 upvotes
Has anyone received a confirmation to pick up their AW3 tomorrow? I placed a pre-order last Friday, to do an in-store pick-up for the 22nd. So far I haven't receive any confirmation, my order is still showing as processing.
Oct 13, 2016
9 posts
5 upvotes
Mine still shows processing too, hopefully it’ll change status overnight.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2667 posts
104 upvotes
I just received confirmation from Apple that my AW3 is ready to pickup during my scheduled pick up window time.
Jun 20, 2016
114 posts
10 upvotes
Picked mine up at 8AM today, I got the confirmation at around 1AM or so
Oct 13, 2016
9 posts
5 upvotes
Picked up mine at 10am today too. I'll probably visit a Bell store this weekend and see what kind of offers or bundles I can get.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2667 posts
104 upvotes
Just having a crazy of a time with Bell trying to activate this new cellular feature with Apple Watch. I tried the website chat help, they told me to call this new hotline Apple number, I did that, went through 2 reps, and they have no idea what I was talking about.
I called the regular Bell help desk, and was told I need to be transfer to the new activation line, and they did that, and I was place on hold for 30 minutes with no reply.
I gave up and hung up.

I'll visit a Bell store to set this up.

Not at all impressed with how Bell is handling this rollout.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2387 posts
364 upvotes
Hamilton
commie wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 7:09 pm
Just having a crazy of a time with Bell trying to activate this new cellular feature with Apple Watch. I tried the website chat help, they told me to call this new hotline Apple number, I did that, went through 2 reps, and they have no idea what I was talking about.
I called the regular Bell help desk, and was told I need to be transfer to the new activation line, and they did that, and I was place on hold for 30 minutes with no reply.
I gave up and hung up.

I'll visit a Bell store to set this up.

Not at all impressed with how Bell is handling this rollout.
I've been having issues as well. The initial setup went very smooth - activating cellular just required me entering my bell account login and accepting the agreement. Once I did that I immediately received email from bell with new account info. The watch app and cellular on the watch showed as enabled. However, as soon as I went to test it, it showed cellular connected but signal bars were all empty and calls would fail immediately. Spoke to bell and they had me change some settings on the cellular portion of the Watch app. Now it shows no cellular plan connected, but my bell account online shows a watch as one of my devices. If I attempt to connect the watch using the app it gives an error and says to call Bell. I've called and explained but they don't understand and think that the watch isn't paired at all with the phone and insist I call Apple... who told me its definitely Bell that needs to help fix it.
Apr 22, 2014
810 posts
181 upvotes
, ON
what are the pros and cons of having stainless steel apple watch over the aluminium ones? Are you just simply paying for the "feel"? Or, are there any tangible benefits such as durability, scratch resistant, and etc?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2387 posts
364 upvotes
Hamilton
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 8:45 am
what are the pros and cons of having stainless steel apple watch over the aluminium ones? Are you just simply paying for the "feel"? Or, are there any tangible benefits such as durability, scratch resistant, and etc?
In terms of materials, the front is sapphire crystal as opposed to glass, and the rear housing with HR & other sensors is ceramic as opposed to composite plastic.
Jul 31, 2015
214 posts
66 upvotes
AB
joey003 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 9:02 am
In terms of materials, the front is sapphire crystal as opposed to glass, and the rear housing with HR & other sensors is ceramic as opposed to composite plastic.
The LTE AW3 has ceramic back with the aluminum models instead composite plastic.