Cell Phones

Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular: Only Bell initially, then Telus. No Rogers.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 5:41 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1168 posts
241 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 8:11 am
None of those carriers offer "shared data" plans, so if they did launch something, it would have to have its own independent data plan.
Will it work with an old Thunderbay plan (3-year contract, $50 unlimited calls & 6 GB shared)?
Jun 20, 2016
115 posts
10 upvotes
As far as ordering online went for mine, I did the 3AM wakeup as well. In terms of LTE vs non, the price difference isn't too huge, you get a ceramic back instead of the cheaper version, and you get 16gb of internal storage instead of 8GB, and there is a 3 month free trial with Bell!
May 23, 2007
770 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary
EH15 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:41 pm
First time AW owner. Picked up the Series 3 non LTE and am pleasantly surprised by the battery. I turned off GPS and went two nights without charging and it's still got over 25%.
How can you turn off GPS on the watch?? Was looking at the watch app and I don't see a setting on it. I don't have the 'cellular' part enabled.
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
bose wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 2:55 pm
Will it work with an old Thunderbay plan (3-year contract, $50 unlimited calls & 6 GB shared)?
I'm assuming you're on Bell. If so, and the share version, then yes, it should be compatible.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1168 posts
241 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:57 pm
I'm assuming you're on Bell. If so, and the share version, then yes, it should be compatible.
Yes, I'm with Bell with 6GB data sharing. Thank you for confirming.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26953 posts
6407 upvotes
GTHA
kuznagi wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:01 pm
How can you turn off GPS on the watch?? Was looking at the watch app and I don't see a setting on it. I don't have the 'cellular' part enabled.
afaik, you need to turn it off in 'location services'

Settings > Privacy > Location Services
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2390 posts
365 upvotes
Hamilton
kuznagi wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:01 pm
What is your reasoning for turning off GPS? If it’s simply for battery then you don’t have to worry as the Watch’s GPS is mainly used for Workouts when the phone isn’t present and you don’t have to worry about it running otherwise.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26953 posts
6407 upvotes
GTHA
iFixit Apple Watch Series 3 Teardown Finds Slightly Bigger Battery, Few Other Changes
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+W ... down/97521

iFixit gave the Apple Watch Series 3 a repairability score of 6 out of a possible 10 points. Display repairs and battery replacements are both possible, albeit tricky, but replacing any of the component cables requires micro-soldering.

1.jpg
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10425 posts
3112 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just curious for those who is using the Apple Watch now, if the battery only lasts 1-2 days, when do you find time to charge the watch? When you sleep? Don't you need to wear it if you want it to track your sleep as well? I use a Mi Band 2 right now so it tracks my steps, stairs, heart rates and sleep pattern which is exported to the Health app in iOS and I only need to charge the Mi Band 2 every 20-25 days, which isn't too disruptive and I'm usually able to find time when I am not walking/exercising/sleeping to charge it. I'm thinking of getting the AW3 but I'm trying to figure out how often I'll need to charge it and when. Because I don't want to take it off when I sleep to charge it, but lose out on the sleep analysis.
Apr 22, 2014
827 posts
183 upvotes
, ON
rvs007 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:05 pm
Just curious for those who is using the Apple Watch now, if the battery only lasts 1-2 days, when do you find time to charge the watch? When you sleep? Don't you need to wear it if you want it to track your sleep as well? I use a Mi Band 2 right now so it tracks my steps, stairs, heart rates and sleep pattern which is exported to the Health app in iOS and I only need to charge the Mi Band 2 every 20-25 days, which isn't too disruptive and I'm usually able to find time when I am not walking/exercising/sleeping to charge it. I'm thinking of getting the AW3 but I'm trying to figure out how often I'll need to charge it and when. Because I don't want to take it off when I sleep to charge it, but lose out on the sleep analysis.
Would like to know this as well
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1747 posts
479 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rvs007 wrote:
I don't have an iWatch but I do have a smartwatch. I charge it when I have an hour at home where I know I won't be moving much; watching tv, eating, those types of activities. I also don't wear my watch at night. When I move it turns on the display and I don't want to have to toggle that setting every morning and night.

I'm not sure about others, but sleep tracking is not that important to me.
:D
Sep 9, 2016
176 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote:
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:15 pm

Would like to know this as well
I don't know how it does it, but i am able to track my sleep without having the watch on my wrist when sleeping.

Both my watch and my phone charge every night on my bedside table.
Nov 3, 2016
37 posts
13 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
I charge my smartwatches during the day when I'm sitting down in front of a computer. I also charge them when I'm going to shower and so on. I usually don't leave my watch on a charger for long and instead just do it whenever I feel my wrist could use a breather as I'm almost always wearing a watch, including bed time for sleep tracking.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2019 posts
979 upvotes
Oakville, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 11:41 am
My series nil is still going strong but I foresee a series 3 in my future.

What do you guys think? Better to go non LTE for $485 tax in or pony up the extra $100 for the LTE version (and just use it as a non LTE version until rogers officially supports it)?
Wondering this myself, except for me it’d be my be my first Apple Watch.

In addition to the LTE version having the ceramic back and sapphire crystal face available, as others have already pointed out, it also comes with 16GB instead of just 8GB for the GPS only versions.

Not sure how much difference the extra memory makes though.

Since they don’t list Rogers as even coming online later this year like Telus, I’ll bet we’ll be deep into 2018 before Rogers gets around to it, or maybe they don’t even support it at all.

Either way, I’m considering rolling like a boss with a stainless steel model which just happens to have LTE. If Rogers gets around to it then that’s a bonus. If not, still considering a switch to Bell.

Considering the finest of motoring carriages that you possess, I’m surprised you’d settle for an Apple Watch at anything less than boss-level !! lol
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15899 posts
4544 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CanadianLurker wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 12:41 pm
Wondering this myself, except for me it’d be my be my first Apple Watch.

In addition to the LTE version having the ceramic back and sapphire crystal face available, as others have already pointed out, it also comes with 16GB instead of just 8GB for the GPS only versions.

Not sure how much difference the extra memory makes though.

Since they don’t list Rogers as even coming online later this year like Telus, I’ll bet we’ll be deep into 2018 before Rogers gets around to it, or maybe they don’t even support it at all.

Either way, I’m considering rolling like a boss with a stainless steel model which just happens to have LTE. If Rogers gets around to it then that’s a bonus. If not, still considering a switch to Bell.
I didn't even know the LTE had an extra 8gb of storage. In that case it's a no brainer over the non LTE. Extra memory comes in handy if you want to store songs on the watch (which will be more important if you're using the LTE version without your iPhone in range). Really nothing else to take up memory besides that (unless you want to store pics on the watch). I also enjoy the red crown. Good luck with the procurement. The stainless steel model is gorgeous.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game