Cell Phones

Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular: Only Bell initially, then Telus. No Rogers.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 1:23 am
Apr 10, 2006
33 posts
1 upvote
Hello, do you guys know what's the best time to order online for pick up in store? It seems that 3am is not a restocking time anymore. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4721 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 12:45 pm
I didn't even know the LTE had an extra 8gb of storage. In that case it's a no brainer over the non LTE. Extra memory comes in handy if you want to store songs on the watch (which will be more important if you're using the LTE version without your iPhone in range). Really nothing else to take up memory besides that (unless you want to store pics on the watch). I also enjoy the red crown. Good luck with the procurement. The stainless steel model is gorgeous.
FYI, there is some talk that there are still storage limits in place for things like music. Not sure what the conclusion was on that.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26882 posts
6385 upvotes
GTHA
CanadianLurker wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 9:41 am
Maybe switching to Bell won’t be worthwhile if they don’t solve the issues they’re having with the new cellular feature...,

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/techcrunch. ... ssues/amp/
watchOS 4.0.1 Released, Fixes Apple Watch Series 3 LTE Bug
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/watch/watc ... -series-3/

Apple promised a fixed was coming, and now it is here as watchOS 4.0.1 has been released via an over-the-air update, build 15R654, for 38mm and 42mm Apple Watch Series 3 LTE owners. The release comes two weeks after watchOS 4 was first released.
May 8, 2009
2242 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
@tk1000 do you plan on getting an Apple watch yourself? What do you think about the watch?
milhaus wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 4:27 pm
FYI, there is some talk that there are still storage limits in place for things like music. Not sure what the conclusion was on that.
Probably unlimited stashing your purchased iTunes music, but then using data (at your expense) or wifi to stream it.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
1693 posts
1129 upvotes
i am going to be upgrading from my series 1. Which one should should I get? Series 2 or Series 3?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26882 posts
6385 upvotes
GTHA
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 4:28 pm
@tk1000 do you plan on getting an Apple watch yourself? What do you think about the watch?
Yes, when Series 3 refurbished are widely available. I always wanted to get an Apple Watch, but was waiting for it to mature since I am not an early adopter.
Androidmarshmellow wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 11:15 am
i am going to be upgrading from my series 1. Which one should should I get? Series 2 or Series 3?
imho, Series 3
Feb 13, 2015
120 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up series 3 lte. could not find it at any of the vancouver stores, but was in Surrey one evening and they had one in stock.

Now waiting on telus to get lte working.
Jun 20, 2016
114 posts
10 upvotes
I'm still hoping that telus does launch on December 1, but they deleted that tweet, and have said that it was posted in error. Anyone have any more information?
Jan 8, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
Rumblings are that Telus is selling the AW3 December 1st (but if you picked one up somewhere else, you just might be able to light it up early if you're a Telus subscriber).

To the comments earlier, no, the AW3 will not work with any phone other than an iPhone. Your iPhone doesn't need to be close by, but it has to be turned on and connected to the network for you to have full features available on your AW3. If it's not, then your AW3 will act like an AW2 - only having wifi connectivity. (this will be a political move to appease the carriers....as they'd be afraid that people would share plans otherwise).

And, yep, Rogers really doesn't have any excuse for not having eSIM provisioning live long before Bell and Telus. This has been a long time coming by the GSMA. Samsung's watch was what, February of last year??? The writing's been on the wall for quite some time.
Only thing that I can think that they're waiting on may be the VoLTE roaming. (this is why you can't roam with the watch) - VoLTE roaming standards aren't yet finalized by the GSMA - even though several carriers have setup roaming agreements already.

Maybe Rogers thinks they'll get more "punch" by being able to announce with that in place as well....we may never know.
May 5, 2006
460 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Series 0 Apple Watch Aluminum. Knew I wanted to upgrade to the Stainless Steel the next time I get another one; therefore was looking at the Series 3 SS, but with tax and everything all in, we're looking at about $1000. Saw that the Apple refurbished store had the Series 2 SS in stock, I ended up picking that one up for about $650 all in. Haven't received it yet, but after reading some threads saying the Series 3 is MUCH faster... I'm having doubts....

What should I do?!?!
Jun 20, 2016
114 posts
10 upvotes
markol wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 4:27 pm
I have a Series 0 Apple Watch Aluminum. Knew I wanted to upgrade to the Stainless Steel the next time I get another one; therefore was looking at the Series 3 SS, but with tax and everything all in, we're looking at about $1000. Saw that the Apple refurbished store had the Series 2 SS in stock, I ended up picking that one up for about $650 all in. Haven't received it yet, but after reading some threads saying the Series 3 is MUCH faster... I'm having doubts....

What should I do?!?!
Personally, I would go for the S3 Cellular in aluminum over the SS if price is an issue. It will age better, and the technology changes so quickly that in my opinion it's better to go for the cheaper option here (cosmetically).
Jan 8, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
The processor on the S3 is 70% faster than that in the S2. Also, with the new W1 chip wireless communications are much more efficient. Battery life on the S3 (when not using LTE) is pretty insane. Some guys are getting 3 days on a single charge. (obviously, they're not exercising) :)

Oh...additionally, one correction to what I posted above (now that there's watches in the wild) - the only thing that doesn't work if your iPhone is turned off is you won't be able to receive Text (SMS/MMS) messages. iMessage still works fine, still be able to send/receive voice calls or use cellular data.