Appliance Installer

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 9:00 am
[OP]
Nov 1, 2004
129 posts
5 upvotes

Appliance Installer

Can someone recommend an appliance installer that services the west end (milton). I need a dishwasher and chimney range hood installed

TIA
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It's not hard to do it yourself.

I've just installed a dishwasher and range hood this weekend. Took me 30 mins for the range hood and an hour for the dish washer.
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3392 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 7:34 pm
It's not hard to do it yourself.

I've just installed a dishwasher and range hood this weekend. Took me 30 mins for the range hood and an hour for the dish washer.
That really depends whether it's a replacement or a new installation. If a new water line and drain line needs to be installed, and a new power line run, then it's not so easy. If there's no existing duct work for the range hood, then it's not so easy.

I can't help with the suggestion of an installer though
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I think most builders are required to include a range hood.

I just took possession of a new build and I removed the range hood and replaced it with a higher CFM unit

The dishwasher was non existent. I had to run power from the panel and set up a receptacle under the sink. Drilled the holes for drain and hot water. Took all of 15 minutes. The hardest part was lining up the dishwasher and making sure it was balanced

That being said, my dishwasher is still not hooked up

I got a Miele and the drain hose is 7/8" and the drain pipe is .5"

Apparently, they don't make larger drain pipes. I can't find them at Home Depot. Trying to decide the best course of action.
Jul 2, 2013
528 posts
142 upvotes
Aurora
Gee wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 7:46 pm

I just took possession of a new build and I removed the range hood and replaced it with a higher CFM unit

The dishwasher was non existent. I had to run power from the panel and set up a receptacle under the sink. Drilled the holes for drain and hot water. Took all of 15 minutes. The hardest part was lining up the dishwasher and making sure it was balanced

Apparently, they don't make larger drain pipes. I can't find them at Home Depot. Trying to decide the best course of action.
Hi you said it was a new build? did you install an arc fault breaker? I did mine here at our home, same thing, and the inspector failed it because the breaker was not arc fault type.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
lehmanr wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 12:11 am
Hi you said it was a new build? did you install an arc fault breaker? I did mine here at our home, same thing, and the inspector failed it because the breaker was not arc fault type.
Crap, I didn't know that. I just used a 15 amp breaker.

It is an easy fix. Just have to replace the breaker.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It maybe overkill but if you're not hard wiring the dishwasher into the electrical, you should use a GFCI receptacle and apparently an AFCI breaker

GFCI because it will be under the sink and you don't want to get a shock in case you're under the sink. It is $20 extra.

AFCI to prevent a fire in case there is an Arc. If the power cable is pinched or detoriate or chewed up by rodents. This is apparently required to meet code. This is going to cost me an extra $100. The 15 amp circuit breaker was $12. The AFCI breaker is $110

Don't cut corners, it's your family's safety. Make sure your installer perform these upgrades.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1089 posts
422 upvotes
Oshawa
Cut in a new Y, install this bushing and thread a 3/4 male x 3/4 barb into it.
Done.

https://www.lowes.ca/abs-fittings/canpl ... chTerm=Abs

Gee wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 7:46 pm

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jonnyb wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 6:02 pm
Cut in a new Y, install this bushing and thread a 3/4 male x 3/4 barb into it.
Done.

https://www.lowes.ca/abs-fittings/canpl ... chTerm=Abs
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

My drain pipe is 1.5" the barb is .5"
32537301.jpg

I need a 7/8" barb, I will probably have to use a 3/4 barb and hope it is close enough. Now I have to cut the piece off, but since the entire drain is so short, I may have to replace the entire pipe including the P trap
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1089 posts
422 upvotes
Oshawa
I understood what you were saying and what you have to do. My explanation still stands.

The 3/4" will be fine, this is based on the hundreds of Miele dishwashers I've installed over the years.

Gee wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 7:20 pm
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

My drain pipe is 1.5" the barb is .5"

32537301.jpg

I need a 7/8" barb, I will probably have to use a 3/4 barb and hope it is close enough. Now I have to cut the piece off, but since the entire drain is so short, I may have to replace the entire pipe including the P trap
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jonnyb wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 3:57 am
I understood what you were saying and what you have to do. My explanation still stands.

The 3/4" will be fine, this is based on the hundreds of Miele dishwashers I've installed over the years.
I suspected as much. 3/4" is technically 6/8" which I guess is close enough.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Sep 15, 2016
2 posts
I just saw this thread, if anybody still needs appliance installation service in 2019, these guys have $30 off and I personally know the repairman there...these guys are highly rated.

Tell him James referred you and make sure to ask for the $30 off.

https://www.raappliancerepair.ca