Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
324 posts
102 upvotes

Applied for Credit before Changing Married Name on SIN

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has some advice for me on this situation. I submitted an application for a capital one aspire world mastercard today and was declined immediately. I have never been declined for a card before and I was a little stumped because I have very good credit (780-800 range) and meet the income requirements. I thought about it and realized I applied in my new married name, and I have yet to change my name on my SIN or my other credit cards. I didn't fill out the optional SIN information on the application, so I'm thinking there would be no way to link me to my credit history?

I'm hoping this won't be too big of a deal, just wondering if I have anything to worry about here. I am going to request my free transunion report, and I'm wondering if this is something I can ask them to amend on my credit history?

If anyone has done this before or has any knowledge on the subject please let me know.

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21270 posts
2093 upvotes
Did it pull the correct verification questions?
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
324 posts
102 upvotes
I didn't get any verification questions. Just hit submit and I got an immediate response saying I was declined and to wait for their letter explaining why.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7073 posts
1971 upvotes
Financial District B…
Applying for credit under married surname is usually not an issue. If you disclosed your SIN when applying then the correct bureau file would have been pulled correctly. If you did not disclose SIN then its possible the married surname may have cross-ref'd with other identity which caused the decline.
If this is the first time you've experienced a decline then I would highly recommend you always use your maiden surname to apply for credit from now on.
Wait to see what the decline letter says. If it states anything in regards to decline due to derog activity then you'll know they pulled the wrong bureau ident.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again