Careers

Apply jobs directly or through agencies ?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2006 12:32 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Apply Jobs directly to the companies or through Job Agencies

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.

Poll ended at Feb 8th, 2007 12:11 pm

Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto

Apply jobs directly or through agencies ?

Looking to switch jobs recently, but the longer I work for the big corp, the more I notice that there is always a trick to get in those major banks, insurance companies, etc. Connection is definitely NO. 1 choice to get you first in line. However, if I don't have connection, I am not sure if I should apply jobs to the companies through companies' website or go through agencies...

I know some companies don't use agencies at all. But I know some agencies do have "special connections" with the HR/Hiring managers in those companies who use job agencies. For these companies, basically you will need the agencies to get in. Once you have applied to those companies directly before, they cannot represent you for a year.

My question is that, it is hard to tell which company we need to go directly and which we need to go through agencies ...........
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
if they have vacancies and you inquire i dont see why they wouldnt tell u who to apply with..
"Illegitimi non carborundum" --Latin Proverb
If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.
:evil: AVOID ByoLogyc products such as ByoMate!
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
3039 posts
Ottawa
Definitely apply directly if the options available. Personel agencies generally take a portion of your wage, and I'm under the impression the company needs to pay them a higher wage to make up some of the difference. Headhunters will usually charge the company a fee directly (usually 20% or so of 1 years salary).

I don't see why any company would rather deal with an agency than hiring directly, particularly if the company has their own HR department.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
devious9191 wrote: I don't see why any company would rather deal with an agency than hiring directly, particularly if the company has their own HR department.
Some large Canadian financial institutions have outsourced their human resource departments to third party agencies. However, the job postings should still reflect the institutions name but all matters are conducted by these third parties.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
devious9191 wrote:Definitely apply directly if the options available. Personel agencies generally take a portion of your wage, and I'm under the impression the company needs to pay them a higher wage to make up some of the difference. Headhunters will usually charge the company a fee directly (usually 20% or so of 1 years salary).

I don't see why any company would rather deal with an agency than hiring directly, particularly if the company has their own HR department.
For contractors, agencies in general get 20-25% of the hourly wage from your pay. For permanent placement, they get 20-25% of the annual salary as the fee.

Of course, theoretically, the company should use their HR for placement to save money. But it really depends on the company's control........
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4456 posts
53 upvotes
Not gonna vote cuz u have no middle option..

I use whatever means necessary to get the job. Be it through an agency or directly to with the company. In the past, I have only ever applied through with my own determination directly through the company.

But I have seen people do it through contract and in a pinch I'd totally do that if I was working under heavy restraints.
Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
[/COLOR]
Dec 16, 2003
682 posts
21 upvotes
Scar
jerryhung wrote:Do both

You never know

ditto
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
I guess I need to clarify. Yes, I agree to do both. But for the case that the job is posted on company web but also listed through agencies. You can only go one or the other ! for some companies, if you have applied one position directly from the company and they have your profile, the agency will not be able to represent you for up to a year. In this case, if your agency have the connection for a particular position in this company, he/she still can't present you because the company already have your file open. and this means theoretically if you are the right candidiate the HR in this company should have already put you up and should not go external and pay the fee to the agency. So, if for "some reason", the HR have to use this agency, it means you are off the hiring list.
Feb 14, 2002
198 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
If your looking for Accounting, Finance, or General Office Admininstration - go through an Agency.

Otherwise, stick with directly applying to the company.

Robert Half International is probably the most respected agency out there, and demand very high prices for their recruits. If a Robert Half division is willing to represent you, then you can probably comand a good position & salary.

www.rhi.com
www.officeteam.com

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)