• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2018 11:08 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2010
396 posts
65 upvotes

Apply for sick leave while pregnant

Hello

I have seen a lot of women who just stop working before their maternity kicks in as they apply for temporary sick leave.

Do you guys know how it works out and how do you apply for it?

Thanks!
9 replies
Aug 31, 2006
549 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
If you want to get short term disability (i.e. wife has to be on bed rest as per doctor). You or your manager will need to start a case with your insurance company by calling them first, then they will ask you and your doc to fill out a form and then they will let you know if you qualify or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1193 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
They could be using up their vacation days. Also, the manager could be allowing them to use up their sick days even though they're not "sick". Just ask your manager if you can use up your sick days first and then use some vacation days. Assuming your manager is not an jerk then I'm sure something can be worked out.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Apr 27, 2010
123 posts
176 upvotes
Pickering
You can apply for EI as sick leave before maternity leave if you don’t have sick benefits from your work
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1285 posts
489 upvotes
OTTAWA
ds2chan wrote:
May 16th, 2018 9:47 am
They could be using up their vacation days. Also, the manager could be allowing them to use up their sick days even though they're not "sick". Just ask your manager if you can use up your sick days first and then use some vacation days. Assuming your manager is not an jerk then I'm sure something can be worked out.
If your company gives sick days it is pretty hard to argue with a note saying you are incapable of working. Without sick days it may be more complicated and require discussion with insurer for disability.
Sep 3, 2013
752 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
If you’re “sick” for more than 2 weeks, it becomes short term disability in my work. Depending how long you’ve worked for the employer, 100% could be covered up to 6-12weeks, I can’t remember. After that, you have to apply for long term disability.

I wanted to take my mat leave 6 weeks early and my manager gave me the option to use short term disability as long as I had a sick note. I told her I wasn’t “sick” and will just apply for mat leave sooner (of course will end before Baby is a year old) then take accrued vacation days which is what happened in my case.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14980 posts
5258 upvotes
For us it was incredibly simple - the doctor fills out a form our employer supplied and the doctor basically crossed out everything they asked and said "Cannot return to work until after delivery" or something to that effect. For our employer it is very common for people to take short term disability for several weeks before - and our doctor was pretty much willing to sign off at any point we wanted past 34-35 weeks (or so it seemed from our appointments). Your first step is talking to your employer (and they may direct you to your insurer if you have these benefits through a third party).

When you use up your employer benefits it does not eat into your 12 months of EI.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1598 posts
621 upvotes
Kitchener
In my wife's case, it was a doctors note that she couldn't do her current job, and a letter from the employer that they're unable to accommodate in a suitable fashion,

So she was off 3 months before the son was born,
Jul 3, 2018
17 posts
2 upvotes
For my sister, she took a medical certificate from the doctor and submitted to her manager after which the leave was approved. During the pregnancy period, she was quite sick too. She was asked for a complete bed rest.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)