Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1593 posts
102 upvotes

Applying for CIBC Aero Gold Visa with 15,000 points

I currently have Aeroplan with about 10,000 points, however its going to expire sometime June, I have been getting letters from CIBC to apply for Aero Gold with the 15,000 bonus points and my current Aeroplan points will be added to it. Would it be worth it? Should I go for the Aero Gold or Aerogold Infinite? or Just find something that I can buy with 10,000 aeroplan points?

The only that makes me want to apply to CIBC is to keep my points and I can have 15,000 bonus points as well... Thats it, I would hardly use it because I have another Visa card that I use on almost everything.

I already have an RBC Infinite Avion, which I am very happy with.
6 replies
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
42 upvotes
25k points, if you're lucky, gets you a roundtrip anywhere in Canada/USA, with one stopover if its all on AC's planes. If you are lucky and pick the right days, you could fly St. Johns-Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver (stop)-LA/San Francisco (stop), and then home.

Personally, when I had that card...I thought the annual fee was worthwhile just for the car rental insurance aspect of it.

So its your $120. Just be aware that you have to be notoriously flexible when it comes to the "Classic" Aeroplan rewards, because availability is pretty terrible on routes that people actually want to fly. Plus, you have to pay all the taxes/fees/etc.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15527 posts
1268 upvotes
Langley
Why will the points expire? If it's because of the 1 year of activity, just buy gas at Esso, and swipe your card.

If the points will expire because they were earned 7 years ago, then you need to get some more points, so you can take a trip. The best and cheapest way is to get an Amex Business Gold card, free for the first year. After you spend $3000 in the first month, you get 25000 bonus points, plus 3000 (or more) for the spending.

Once you have the points, plan a trip.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1593 posts
102 upvotes
I thought it was going to expire 5 yrs after accumulating points. I will double check the expiry again... I use my card here and there @ Esso.

The thing is I don't like paying $120/yr. But if the benefit out ways the fee then it would be worth it.
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
15527 posts
1268 upvotes
Langley
BRAISKI wrote:
Dec 29th, 2009 8:17 pm
I thought it was going to expire 5 yrs after accumulating points. I will double check the expiry again... I use my card here and there @ Esso.

The thing is I don't like paying $120/yr. But if the benefit out ways the fee then it would be worth it.
No it's 7 years, but since they put the policy in in 2006, then miles earned before that date don't expire till 2013.

http://www1.aeroplan.com/help/topic.do?id=2007

But you should still get an Amex business for an easy 28000+ miles.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1593 posts
102 upvotes
"You have been a valued Aeroplan Member since: June 23, 2005"

I thought it was going to expire in 5 yrs. I remember getting an email that I only have 1 yr before it will expire.
Sep 14, 2003
18 posts
BRAISKI wrote:
Dec 30th, 2009 9:40 am
"You have been a valued Aeroplan Member since: June 23, 2005"

I thought it was going to expire in 5 yrs. I remember getting an email that I only have 1 yr before it will expire.
7 years from when you first accumulate the miles till they expire, however your account goes inactive after one year of non-accumulation/redemption. The aerogold guarantees that your account won't go inactive. But like others said, just buy esso gas and swipe your aeroplan once a year (yah yah, stop complaining about them not having 94 octane!)

If you travel a fair bit, it's definitely worth paying the fee for. I believe the gold and infinite are the same fee (just a higher income requirement for the infinite). If you meet the requirements, get the infinite, the extra travel insurances, lost luggage and delay coverages, make it worthwhile).

If you're just getting it for the car rental coverage, any gold card will give you that. the TD Gold Select is free and gives you the same rental coverage as the Infinite.

IMO the only thing worthwhile to redeem Aeroplan points for is long haul flights. You still have to pay the taxes on the flights, however.
× < >