Careers

Applying to a gov't position. unionized job. 30/hour = ?/year

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 6:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 11, 2018
3 posts

Applying to a gov't position. unionized job. 30/hour = ?/year

Hi RFD, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I am applying for a government position and since its a unionized job, they list the salary as 30/hour. If the job is 9-5. What is that equivalent on a yearly basis (before tax)?
I am assuming its 9-5 less 1 hour lunch or breaks = 7 hours/day; 35/week; 2 weeks of statutory holidays; 3 weeks of vacation; so that leaves me with 52-2-3= 47 paid weeks. 47*35 = 1645 hours/ year. 1645*30 = 49350?

Can anyone that works in a unionized environment for a gov't comment on how 30/hour stated rate on a posting would translate on a yearly basis?

Much appreciated!!!
15 replies
Newbie
Aug 3, 2017
66 posts
25 upvotes
Andrew12321 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 1:38 am
Hi RFD, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I am applying for a government position and since its a unionized job, they list the salary as 30/hour. If the job is 9-5. What is that equivalent on a yearly basis (before tax)?
I am assuming its 9-5 less 1 hour lunch or breaks = 7 hours/day; 35/week; 2 weeks of statutory holidays; 3 weeks of vacation; so that leaves me with 52-2-3= 47 paid weeks. 47*35 = 1645 hours/ year. 1645*30 = 49350?

Can anyone that works in a unionized environment for a gov't comment on how 30/hour stated rate on a posting would translate on a yearly basis?

Much appreciated!!!
It depends on the government, some are 35 hr weeks, many 37.5 and some exceptional positions 40 hours a week. Assuming 1950 hrs per year is a decent assumption. No need to subtract holidays/stats since they are paid.

Overtime rates/rules/benefits can also vary greatly by government employer and contract.

Usually it's 9-5 with half hour unpaid lunch and paid breaks to get the 7.5 hrs a day.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1499 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Just an FYI,

I know you asked for before tax salary, but if you are using that to try and figure out how much money a month you'll have , remember that you also have to pay union dues, your portion of benefits and into the pension plan.
Member
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
373 posts
264 upvotes
BC
dolfan1980 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 9:56 am
It depends on the government, some are 35 hr weeks, many 37.5 and some exceptional positions 40 hours a week. Assuming 1950 hrs per year is a decent assumption. No need to subtract holidays/stats since they are paid.
Ditto. Assume in general 37.5 hours a week. Any leaves you take per the union contract are generally paid so no need to subtract (stat holidays, vacation, sick, days, personal, family related, etc.)
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1778 posts
283 upvotes
Burlington
You have gotten some great responses so far, for Ontario
$30/hr in most Federal Government places will be 37.5 hrs a week so $58,500 a year or so
$30/hr in most Ontario Government places will be 36.25 hrs a week so $56,550 a year or so
$30/hr in most Municipal Government places will be 35hrs a week so $54,600 a year or so

I know this from my experience looking for jobs with all 3 levels.
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2006
665 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
Since you are in the union,most likely you will get a defined benefit pension plan....which is like discovering a dinosaur in this day and age.
Take that into account when you are evaluating yearly pay.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 11, 2018
3 posts
Thanks dolfan1980. Its a Municipal Government job and not federal. In that case would you say that badmus's assessment of 35hrs/week is accurate from your experience?

Thanks Evil Baby. Do you have an idea what yearly union dues are for an office type work in a municipal union? I initially thought they would be astronomical, like 200-300/month however after talking to a friend he mentioned that his union dues were $50/month. But he was not in a gov't union.

Thanks for the input WestCoastGuy

Thanks badmus. Its a Municipal Government job. So i think i'll assume 35hrs/week; 1820hrs/year. Would you be able to comment what the union dues are like in a municipal union?

Hi marketb. Defined benefit plan is definitely an attractive part of the compensation package. For the definited benefit plans, what the usual retirement age, would it be strictly 65 across the board. I am far away from retirement, but just curious.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1499 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Andrew12321 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 9:26 pm
Thanks Evil Baby. Do you have an idea what yearly union dues are for an office type work in a municipal union? I initially thought they would be astronomical, like 200-300/month however after talking to a friend he mentioned that his union dues were $50/month. But he was not in a gov't union.
Sorry,I wouldn't know. Each union is different and each one charges a different rate but not crazy different, so if your friends dues were $50 a month, it would be around the same.
Newbie
Aug 3, 2017
66 posts
25 upvotes
Andrew12321 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 9:26 pm
Thanks dolfan1980. Its a Municipal Government job and not federal. In that case would you say that badmus's assessment of 35hrs/week is accurate from your experience?

Thanks Evil Baby. Do you have an idea what yearly union dues are for an office type work in a municipal union? I initially thought they would be astronomical, like 200-300/month however after talking to a friend he mentioned that his union dues were $50/month. But he was not in a gov't union.

Thanks for the input WestCoastGuy

Thanks badmus. Its a Municipal Government job. So i think i'll assume 35hrs/week; 1820hrs/year. Would you be able to comment what the union dues are like in a municipal union?

Hi marketb. Defined benefit plan is definitely an attractive part of the compensation package. For the definited benefit plans, what the usual retirement age, would it be strictly 65 across the board. I am far away from retirement, but just curious.
35 hours a week is possible, though I have no idea if all municipalities use that same standard. In terms of pension, I don't think they're all the same, but most public sector employees have plans that allow for full retirement at either 55 or 60. Most all were 55, but changes in recent years have pushed some plans to later retirement, and some to switch to defined contribution. You should be able to find out that information fairly easily about the specific municipality.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1790 posts
602 upvotes
Andrew12321 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 9:26 pm
Thanks dolfan1980. Its a Municipal Government job and not federal. In that case would you say that badmus's assessment of 35hrs/week is accurate from your experience?

Thanks Evil Baby. Do you have an idea what yearly union dues are for an office type work in a municipal union? I initially thought they would be astronomical, like 200-300/month however after talking to a friend he mentioned that his union dues were $50/month. But he was not in a gov't union.

Thanks for the input WestCoastGuy

Thanks badmus. Its a Municipal Government job. So i think i'll assume 35hrs/week; 1820hrs/year. Would you be able to comment what the union dues are like in a municipal union?

Hi marketb. Defined benefit plan is definitely an attractive part of the compensation package. For the definited benefit plans, what the usual retirement age, would it be strictly 65 across the board. I am far away from retirement, but just curious.
Union dues generally change dependent on your salary. I pay $50 or so a paycheck (I believe).
Member
Feb 20, 2017
266 posts
80 upvotes
Barrie, ON
badmus was correct with salary.

35 hour municipal work weeks are 1820 hours per year, 40 hour municipal is 2080 hours per year. Union dues are typically 20-30 per pay, so 40-60 per month, but the biggest part is the defined plan which depending on how much you make can eat up to 10-11 percent of take home pay.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3140 posts
347 upvotes
Union dues are tax deductible to not really a bit cut from your pay .
Newbie
Dec 13, 2010
18 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
Andrew12321 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 9:26 pm
Thanks dolfan1980. Its a Municipal Government job and not federal. In that case would you say that badmus's assessment of 35hrs/week is accurate from your experience?

Thanks Evil Baby. Do you have an idea what yearly union dues are for an office type work in a municipal union? I initially thought they would be astronomical, like 200-300/month however after talking to a friend he mentioned that his union dues were $50/month. But he was not in a gov't union.

Thanks for the input WestCoastGuy

Thanks badmus. Its a Municipal Government job. So i think i'll assume 35hrs/week; 1820hrs/year. Would you be able to comment what the union dues are like in a municipal union?

Hi marketb. Defined benefit plan is definitely an attractive part of the compensation package. For the definited benefit plans, what the usual retirement age, would it be strictly 65 across the board. I am far away from retirement, but just curious.
If you know the name of the union, you can usually look it up on their website. Union dues are typically calculated as a percentage of wages; for example, CUPE (which covers many municipal workers in Canada), says their dues are approximately 1.5% for most employees: http://joincupe2190.ca/why-join-cupe-2/

So if you were earning $30/hr at 35hrs/week, union dues of 1.5% would be about $819 per year (or ~$68/month).
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
17927 posts
1499 upvotes
Niagara Falls
mastaj wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 3:11 pm
If you know the name of the union, you can usually look it up on their website. Union dues are typically calculated as a percentage of wages; for example, CUPE (which covers many municipal workers in Canada), says their dues are approximately 1.5% for most employees: http://joincupe2190.ca/why-join-cupe-2/

So if you were earning $30/hr at 35hrs/week, union dues of 1.5% would be about $819 per year (or ~$68/month).
I thought that's about where it was but wasn't sure. I haven't had to pay union dues in a long time. I do remember though that my LTD insurance went down significantly when I left the union.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1778 posts
283 upvotes
Burlington
I just rechecked a few municipalities in the GTA/Hamilton area and majority of the union roles are still 35 paid hours a week (it would still be 40 working hours a week).

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)