Careers

Is it appropriate to list "Proficient with Microsoft Office" on resume?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2009 4:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
96 posts
Toronto

Is it appropriate to list "Proficient with Microsoft Office" on resume?

5) Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint

This is another case where I do a mental replacement – I swap “Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint” for “Proficient in Breathing Oxygen” and then wonder what the person was thinking.

Of all the gaffes listed here, this one might be the most common in resumes I’ve reviewed. This alone is not enough to “sink” your resume, but I do think you look silly listing programs that virtually everyone who has worked in an office before knows how to use.

If you know a programming language such as C++ or Java, go ahead and list those; advanced statistical and financial analysis programs are also fine to list.

Just as with “Fluency in English,” I assume you are “fluent” in Word, Excel and PowerPoint. So don’t re-assure me.
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/5 ... e-titanic/

However, just because you can write your resume on Microsoft Word does not automatically mean you are proficient with Powerpoint or Excel. I think it's appropriate but I need assurances here since those Stanford folks could be quite credible.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
justforboa wrote:
Nov 26th, 2009 6:39 am
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/5 ... e-titanic/

However, just because you can write your resume on Microsoft Word does not automatically mean you are proficient with Powerpoint or Excel. I think it's appropriate but I need assurances here since those Stanford folks could be quite credible.
The article specifically from an investment banking standpoint. All ibankers are Excel power users and are expected to know more advanced functions like VBA, macros, VLOOKUP, etc. You shouldn't list it for an ibanking application cuz basically you'll basically be living and breathing it. It's not something that sets you apart. It's like saying you went to elementary school.

For a normal job, listing it is quite acceptable in my opinion. You can always leave off Word + Powerpoint though. For excel/access, if you really are proficient, it'd probably be a good idea to even include specific functions.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
96 posts
Toronto
Thanks. Wow, I'm totally addicted to that site. Everything is so interesting, useful and fun to read. That small drop of humour is perfect.
× < >