Home & Garden

Approximate cost of adding in wood fireplace?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 7:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12834 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto

Approximate cost of adding in wood fireplace?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what’s the approximate cost to fit in a wood burning fireplace? The house does not have a fire place at all and I would like to add one in the living room on an exterior brick wall. How does the venting work? Will it have to vent straight up in the house? Or can the chimney be made on the outside of the wall and vent up from the outside?

I will have to get a permit from the city to build this and also an engineer I assume?
15 replies
May 28, 2012
10302 posts
2444 upvotes
Saskatoon
Don't know about the cost to install but check your home insurance company for a change in premiums if you put in a wood fireplace.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4736 posts
1091 upvotes
Kitchener
Brick chimney will run at least $8-12k, plus it'll need a foundation poured below frostline. Not going to be cheap

You'll want an insert for better efficiency, another $2k

https://www.lowes.ca/fireplace-inserts/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

You could go with a wood burning stove and insulated stove pipe for a chimney. Not as nice looking. Be about $1500 for a decent stove and $1000 for the chimney plus a couple days labour

https://www.lowes.ca/wood-stove-parts-a ... lsrc=aw.ds
Last edited by Drthorne on Nov 17th, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11481 posts
458 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 10:11 pm
Don't know about the cost to install but check your home insurance company for a change in premiums if you put in a wood fireplace.
One important factor will be WETT certification. At least make sure the install will pass a WETT inspection.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12834 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 10:11 pm
Yeah it will increase, but that’s okay.
Drthorne wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 10:20 pm
Brick chimney will run at least $8-12k, plus it'll need a foundation poured below frostline. Not going to be cheap

You could go with a wood burning stove and insulated stove pipe for a chimney. Not as nice looking. Be about $1500 for a decent stove and $1000 for the chimney plus a couple days labour

mbg wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 10:23 pm
Thank you! Im leaning towards the costlier fire place. I like the idea of a wood burning fireplace with the smell. It’s not really for warmth, but rather for the smell and atmosphere of the living room.

One important factor will be WETT certification. At least make sure the install will pass a WETT inspection.
Thank you. Will look into this!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6911 posts
3143 upvotes
Paris
Our brick chimney has been pulled off the cottage twice now (once in 1990ish, once 2016) and insurance has NOT asked for WETT. I really figured our 1980s era stove wouldn’t cut it this last time but it wasnt even mentioned.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5428 posts
5494 upvotes
Toronto
trixstar wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 9:48 pm
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what’s the approximate cost to fit in a wood burning fireplace? The house does not have a fire place at all and I would like to add one in the living room on an exterior brick wall. How does the venting work? Will it have to vent straight up in the house? Or can the chimney be made on the outside of the wall and vent up from the outside?

I will have to get a permit from the city to build this and also an engineer I assume?
I don't think City of Toronto gives permits for new wood fireplaces due to particulate pollution concerns. Everything already in place is grandfathered but nothing new.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1019 posts
701 upvotes
HAMILTON
Before you embark on this, call your insurance company to see if they will even cover you if you put in a fireplace and call the building dept to see if one is even allowed.

Many insurance companies will not even insurance a home if it has a fireplace.

You have not stated the purpose of the fireplace....... but if for heat in case of power outage... you can get a direct vent natural gas fireplace....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5175 posts
2937 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 11:57 am
I don't think City of Toronto gives permits for new wood fireplaces due to particulate pollution concerns. Everything already in place is grandfathered but nothing new.
I’ve seen new builds with brick chimneys and wood burning fireplaces in and around the GTA. So it must be possible.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1265 posts
440 upvotes
Ontario
Drthorne wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 10:20 pm

I would not buy a woodstove from a box store
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12834 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto
luckystrike1 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 1:19 pm
Before you embark on this, call your insurance company to see if they will even cover you if you put in a fireplace and call the building dept to see if one is even allowed.

Many insurance companies will not even insurance a home if it has a fireplace.

You have not stated the purpose of the fireplace....... but if for heat in case of power outage... you can get a direct vent natural gas fireplace....
It’s not for the purpose of heating, but rather for the feel of the home, firewood smells and crackling sounds while I have my whisky haha.

I hope it’s doable.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1019 posts
701 upvotes
HAMILTON
Thanks for the clarification......... would again suggest that you check your insurance company and building dept.

Are you prepared for buying wood, storing wood, carting into the house bugs and of course the smell, etc.

As long as you have natural gas in the house, you can get all that you are looking for without the work...... just turn a switch and enjoy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6911 posts
3143 upvotes
Paris
luckystrike1 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 10:16 pm
Are you prepared for buying wood, storing wood, carting into the house bugs and of course the smell, etc.
Wood is a nightmare. But man oh man do I love getting to the cottage (with our phone controlled central HVAC furnace and 2 gas fireplaces) and firing up the wood stove. We fight over who gets to stock it while playing cards at night.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5175 posts
2937 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 10:16 pm
Thanks for the clarification......... would again suggest that you check your insurance company and building dept.

As long as you have natural gas in the house, you can get all that you are looking for without the work...... just turn a switch and enjoy.
Nah. While your points about the hassle are fair, Gas fireplace doesn’t really compare to the real thing. Not even close IMO.

I have 2 NG Fireplace and 1 wood burner in my house. The NG get used more often of course , but every week or so we use the wood fireplace and it’s so nice.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1903 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of contractors out there specializing in wood fireplaces - I expect none of them are of RFD. You know it's going to be incredibly expensive and WAY more that putting a simple gas fireplace in with a direct vent through your exterior wall (assuming you can do that to code with window placement etc.) so next step is to get bids from contractors.

A wood stove would be much cheaper and simpler than a masonry fireplace which will need foundation work, flooring structure, engineering blah blah blah. But again, a fireplace contractor will be the only one to give you a real idea of what it might cost. A lot will be determined by how many storeys your house has.

There's nothing like real wood fire and heat. I heat my cottage with a Pacific Energy stove and it's great. But, in Toronto, I'd go with gas for simple ambiance. As it is I put in a 'fireplace' in my 120 year old home and used an electric Dimplex insert. No option to do gas given the location on a shared wall (semi detached) and exterior venting options. Still gives the sense of motion and warmth of a natural gas flame, with no hassle.
'