Cell Phones

Apps: When can we expect BlackBerry to get Top 20?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2013 12:28 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15183 posts
759 upvotes
Woodbridge

Apps: When can we expect BlackBerry to get Top 20?

I got my new BlackBerry Z10 in White. As I mentioned in the other threads I'm very impressed with BB10 and the changes & improvements made but...

Like Windows 8, it lacks Apps. I'm not expecting
2 Billion this year but I expect the essentials...

Flipbook, Starbucks, Scotiabank, Zite and Cineplex. These the apps I want and currently use the most. I'm surprised Windows 8 has TuneIn.

Windows 8 has been out for awhile now and I don't think they added any of it. This is why I sold my Samsung ATIV S.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
17 replies
Sep 12, 2008
164 posts
14 upvotes
don't trust any of the so-called expected release dates set by BlackBerry, biggest schmucks around. look at the doods who picked up playbooks then constantly got fed steaming piles of rotten baloney. now the Q10 is being pushed back till allah knows when.

it's all just cloud talk, none of those apps are coming anytime soon; if you expect to use any non-native apps religiously on your z10, then it'd probably be best to return it and pick up an ios/android. why wait until [insert app] is released? life is short. not trying to stir up an argument by spewing asinine comments but just do your own dd and you'll see. check out crackberry . com, brings some good laughs as the mindless drones over there post lotsa dribble. if windows 8 hasn't released any of their 'anticipated' apps, i wouldn't bet on blackberry pushing them out ANYTIME soon

as much as i rag on this company, the kb/trackpad/native email still shine like no other and it's simply irreplaceable as a communication device. inputting imo, is more important than anything
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15183 posts
759 upvotes
Woodbridge
I have the Note 2 just have an obsession with Super Phones.

I will likely sell it when Samsung releases the S4 if nothing changes.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6520 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
It's not a question anyone on here can answer. On one hand there's renewed impetus and interest behind the BB name. On the other hand BB app world has always been and still is a turd swamp if you pardon my French. Best advice is don't rely on all your favourite apps being migrated over any time soon. App developers will always focus on the top 3 platforms and BB right now is fighting for 3rd place so no guarantees that will ever happen. Unfortunately for them they dropped BB10 behind the WP8 launch so it's a game of catch up now.

If you like the device as is go get it. If you're getting it on wishful thinking and marketing spin that BB will have 5 billion apps by next week then I suggest you get something else.
Nov 22, 2009
427 posts
46 upvotes
Markham Ontario
The lack of banking / payment apps is keeping me with IOS for now..
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1714 posts
45 upvotes
Vaughan
Flipbook, Starbucks, Scotiabank, Zite and Cineplex - these apps are in iOS or Android Top20?
I've heard only about Cineplex.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4577 posts
880 upvotes
Mississauga
Cool thing you have with BB10 is Sideloading .. Guess what ??? BB10 got Google Maps on DAY 1 .. WP8 is still waiting ... Days of waiting for apps are over BB10 .. Guess why, BB10 Platform became the easiest to develop ..

head over here to sideload
http://forums.crackberry.com/android-ap ... ding-f279/

http://forums.crackberry.com/android-ap ... 10-766594/
Google Maps
Google Maps (another version)
Tapatalk 2
AMazon Kindle
IMDb
Bike Race
CNBC
Kayak
EasyJet
Flight View
TweetDeck

SkyNews
GTask
FlipBoard
PocketBooth
Facebook Page Manager
Scramble with Friends
Scope App
Youversion Bible
Sky Sports News
Kijiji
Oh .. here is the instagram screenshot .. WP8 has it ???

Kevin from CB is not telling whether its Native or Port .. anyhow at BB10 you have options like side loading rather completely Jail breaking or Rooting the OS ..

Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6520 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Mayoo wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 7:38 pm
Cool thing you have with BB10 is Sideloading .. Guess what ??? BB10 got Google Maps on DAY 1 .. WP8 is still waiting ... Days of waiting for apps are over BB10 .. Guess why, BB10 Platform became the easiest to develop ..

head over here to sideload
http://forums.crackberry.com/android-ap ... ding-f279/

http://forums.crackberry.com/android-ap ... 10-766594/

Oh .. here is the instagram screenshot .. WP8 has it ???

Kevin from CB is not telling whether its Native or Port .. anyhow at BB10 you have options like side loading rather completely Jail breaking or Rooting the OS ..

Why do you have to put a positive spin on everything mate. Seriously, let it be. You're suggesting that taking a modified apk file and going through over 20 steps to convert to bar then sideload is somehow a 'feature' or better than a 3 step jailbreak or root? And that's to run an app on an unsupported platform with unknown results?

Yes I got google maps working via sideload as BB maps continue to be garbage. This is not related to jailbreaks/roots as android/ios owners don't have to go through this crap to get essential apps on their phones.

Yes it's an option for BB. Yes it's good for BB. No, there's no guarantee your favourite app will work. No, running a laggy android port does not make your BB superior in any other device. Need more native apps, none of this sideloading business.
Mar 9, 2008
491 posts
35 upvotes
bwield wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 3:05 pm
The lack of banking / payment apps is keeping me with IOS for now..
Not being snarky, just curious - what banking/payment apps can do what the website cannot? I've used a BB since 2007 so I've never really known. A few bank apps have been on App World, hell even scotia iTrade... I never bother and just sign onto the webpages like I do with my PC. Things like Netflix, Instagram, Skype and other games I can understand as a website cannot replace them, but an app that just does what going to the website does seems redundant.

Sideloading is great and it's done wonders for my PlayBook, but I cannot expect to use it as a selling feature and nor should BlackBerry. It's generally for the diehards. At the same time, sideloading is much, much easier than installing custom ROMs on an Android device just to remove the bloatware/optimize/update to the latest OS.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4577 posts
880 upvotes
Mississauga
ichpen wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 4:06 pm
Why do you have to put a positive spin on everything mate. Seriously, let it be. You're suggesting that taking a modified apk file and going through over 20 steps to convert to bar then sideload is somehow a 'feature' or better than a 3 step jailbreak or root? And that's to run an app on an unsupported platform with unknown results?

Yes I got google maps working via sideload as BB maps continue to be garbage. This is not related to jailbreaks/roots as android/ios owners don't have to go through this crap to get essential apps on their phones.

Yes it's an option for BB. Yes it's good for BB. No, there's no guarantee your favourite app will work. No, running a laggy android port does not make your BB superior in any other device. Need more native apps, none of this sideloading business.
No Positive or Negative spin mate .. just providing the the source of information with options .. that's all .. i loaded up Google maps and it working fine .. no issues ..

Also its very easy with the DBDB installer ..

Dont forget BB plan to Upgrade the runtime to 4.1 Jelly bean as well ..
Nov 22, 2009
427 posts
46 upvotes
Markham Ontario
svelten wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 4:48 pm
Not being snarky, just curious - what banking/payment apps can do what the website cannot? I've used a BB since 2007 so I've never really known. A few bank apps have been on App World, hell even scotia iTrade... I never bother and just sign onto the webpages like I do with my PC. Things like Netflix, Instagram, Skype and other games I can understand as a website cannot replace them, but an app that just does what going to the website does seems redundant.

Sideloading is great and it's done wonders for my PlayBook, but I cannot expect to use it as a selling feature and nor should BlackBerry. It's generally for the diehards. At the same time, sideloading is much, much easier than installing custom ROMs on an Android device just to remove the bloatware/optimize/update to the latest OS.
It may just be a personal preference for the banking apps. I have found the TD apps and HSBC apps to be much faster and easier the. Going to the site YYMV

By payment apps i mean credit card processing services - Go payment (intuit) or Square. Devices that are supported allow you to swipe your clients card, and swiping means a lower processing me for me as the vendor.

These are deal breaker's for me. But i don't expect that to be the same for everyone
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15183 posts
759 upvotes
Woodbridge
So I exchanged it and got Bell instead I figured take advantage of MOBILE TV...

The app is not available, Bell doesn't include it?

Seriously this is depressing.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jan 27, 2013
383 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
BB10 has 90% of the top iOS and Android apps. Skype, Netflix and Instagram are coming and will arrive in time for the US launch in March.

Cineplex will definitely have an app - they have always supported BB and have confirmed they are making a BB10 app.

Scotiabank can be accessed through their mobile site. BB10 has the best browser (see html5test.com) and can load the full desktop version of scotiabank.com if needed. CIBC has confirmed they are making a BB10 app - once they do, I'm sure all the other Canadian banks will follow suit.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3200 posts
168 upvotes
Markham
svelten wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 4:48 pm

it is not can or can not thing. It is convenient or inconvenient. Those apps are designed for mobile, so should be faster and convenient(for example, font size or so).

but I was surprise scotiabank is not here, since BB phone penetration rate in banks is pretty high, i never thought bank's app is an issue here at all. if not right now, I believe they should catch up pretty soon
× < >