• Apr 18th, 2018 9:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1177 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto

Aquarium experts please help!

Hey guys need some help, my power went out for an hour or so and ever since then my aquarium filter has stopped working. No sound nothing I took it off the tank and cleaned it and the motor part is very hot to the touch, is there a way to fix this ? Anyone experience this?
5 replies
Jan 29, 2018
6 posts
If its a hang on the back style, you need to prime the filter(ensure there is already enough water in the back chamber).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1177 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
JoshAA wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 12:28 pm
If its a hang on the back style, you need to prime the filter(ensure there is already enough water in the back chamber).
Yea it’s one of those so just keep pouring water in the back? I tried and nothing seems to be happening shouldn’t it make a sound?
Jan 29, 2018
6 posts
Hi, you should be hearing a buzzing/vibration sound. Did you take out the impeller and clean it? Sometimes it gets dirty and the magnets don't work correctly. take a look at the video below:

Sep 16, 2006
839 posts
143 upvotes
Pickering
If you left it on without priming for 24 hours you probably cooked the motor at this point. You should never run one of these types of motors dry or without flow. Take the filter (which is surely already dead, say bye to your biofilter) out, remove the motor if applicable, remove the impeller complete with shaft and magnet, rinse the living **** out of the impeller well and all motor parts, and then reinstall, fill with water (make sure your aquarium water level is also high) and turn on. If nothing happens you killed your filter and need a new motor, or if the motor is not removable, you need a new filter.

BTW Aquaclear and Fluval C series are the best HOBs. If you're using any other HOB you are using the wrong HOB.

Btw this would have never happened and your filter wouldn't have lost prime if you kept your water level buried beyond the beginning of the upper trim (or to within 1" on a rimless tank) like you're supposed to but nobody ever does.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3361 posts
648 upvotes
GTA
I will second the opinion that the water probably drained out of the filter when the power went out and then when the power came back on, there was no water to prime it and the motor burned out.

Ditto on th aquaclear filters. They're the best because you can use your choice of media without having to buy rip off cartridges.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)