Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1031 posts
333 upvotes
OAKVILLE

Arcade Cabinet Refurbishing

I got an arcade cabinet for free and I am hoping to fix it up and put a set-up in it that plays 100+ old school videos games. Only I don't know where to begin. Can anyone provide some advice or tips on how to get it running again for my man cave? Thanks.
Images
  • 20180507_185539.jpg
My Xbox Gamertag – KY JELLO
My Bell plan: $60/mo – 5GB, 250 LD, Bell-to-Bell, CD, VM, plus unlimited texting & evenings
18 replies
Jul 13, 2016
65 posts
37 upvotes
You're trying to build a "MAME Cabinet" and you can honestly get very far with a Raspberry Pi and any HDMI-capable monitor or TV that fits.

You could control it with wireless controllers while you worked on wiring up the joysticks and buttons. Using a more modern controllers would allow you to integrate a PC or newer game console as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1405 posts
309 upvotes
mississauga
monitor, raspberry pi, a usb hub, 2 zero-delay encoders to plug in the joysticks is what I would do probably, but ive never done this.
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2072 posts
58 upvotes
Medicine Hat
That looks like an older mame cabinet. Google name cabinet and you'll be flooded with resources.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10184 posts
1027 upvotes
toronto1979 wrote:
May 8th, 2018 7:36 pm
I got an arcade cabinet for free and I am hoping to fix it up and put a set-up in it that plays 100+ old school videos games. Only I don't know where to begin. Can anyone provide some advice or tips on how to get it running again for my man cave? Thanks.
PM this guy: @mwong168

His collection of cabinets and pinball machines are mind blowing.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1999 posts
98 upvotes
What's in the cab right now or what is it running? Is there a monitor inside?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1031 posts
333 upvotes
OAKVILLE
mwong168 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 12:30 pm
What's in the cab right now or what is it running? Is there a monitor inside?
There is a monitor inside and lots of wires. But I haven't really taken a close look at anything yet. All i know is it's not running. I was told by the guy who was getting rid of it that it doesn't work. I imagine it may be a gut job. There is a header panel for a 1983 Atari racing game (the name escapes me right now) but there is no steering wheel. Joystick set up is 2 players with 5 buttons on each side of both joysticks (20 buttons total).
My Bell plan: $60/mo – 5GB, 250 LD, Bell-to-Bell, CD, VM, plus unlimited texting & evenings
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2088 posts
213 upvotes
TX-1 Racing? If that's it, no kidding it doesn't work. TX-1 is pretty rare and uses unique hardware/pinout - I doubt it can even be adapted to that cabinet. I've never seen the cabinet or board and I can't find any board pictures or documentation. There's a set of schematics on ebay if you want to try to restore it.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1999 posts
98 upvotes
Can we get more pictures and I would probably say gut it. You might be able to get a few bucks for the existing board and monitor to a local vid collector. You will probably want to modify by adding extra holes for additional buttons or maybe replace that whole control panel with new piece of wood. This way you can get the exact button layout you want. Why don't you have a look at my latest MAME build here for some ideas

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/thread ... ject.6438/

Also what games would you like to play on this cab?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1140 posts
192 upvotes
mwong168 wrote:
May 13th, 2018 10:44 am
Can we get more pictures and I would probably say gut it. You might be able to get a few bucks for the existing board and monitor to a local vid collector. You will probably want to modify by adding extra holes for additional buttons or maybe replace that whole control panel with new piece of wood. This way you can get the exact button layout you want. Why don't you have a look at my latest MAME build here for some ideas

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/thread ... ject.6438/

Also what games would you like to play on this cab?
That is a nice read on the pinballrevolution thread. Question, are you affiliated with this company?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1999 posts
98 upvotes
parapudaw wrote:
May 15th, 2018 12:58 pm
That is a nice read on the pinballrevolution thread. Question, are you affiliated with this company?
I am not affiliated with vewlixshop but that is where I got my cab from last summer. I'm a hobbyist and been playing around with emulation such as MAME since my university days in the early 2000's. I offered the owner of vewlix shop to show off my vewlix cab once it was completed to potential GTA customers so they could see the quality and machine in action. Most people like to see something before they buy it especially when we are talking about something that costs a little over $2000 by the time you factor in taxes and shipping.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1140 posts
192 upvotes
mwong168 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 1:06 pm
I am not affiliated with vewlixshop but that is where I got my cab from last summer. I'm a hobbyist and been playing around with emulation such as MAME since my university days in the early 2000's. I offered the owner of vewlix shop to show off my vewlix cab once it was completed to potential GTA customers so they could see the quality and machine in action. Most people like to see something before they buy it especially when we are talking about something that costs a little over $2000 by the time you factor in taxes and shipping.
Thanks! I been looking locally for some Vewlix cab for eons and just wanted to make sure that that website is legit. There's another Canadian website, mancavearcade.ca doing pre-order, do you know anything about them?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1031 posts
333 upvotes
OAKVILLE
mwong168 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 1:06 pm
Most people like to see something before they buy it especially when we are talking about something that costs a little over $2000 by the time you factor in taxes and shipping.
Yikes is that the investment I am looking at if I want to fix up my set-up? I have attached some additional photos.

TV & Buttons - https://imgur.com/a/XujV3mK
Motherboard - https://imgur.com/a/KNBBiG2
Cables - https://imgur.com/a/DfhIP7p
Front Panel - https://imgur.com/a/KTbNFvi

I'm very ignorant, but I'm thinking a monitor, and a Raspberry Pi and whatever cables I need should only be $500. Am I way off?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1999 posts
98 upvotes
toronto1979 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 2:17 pm
Yikes is that the investment I am looking at if I want to fix up my set-up?
It depends on what you want to do and what games you are interested in playing. If you are looking to play classics only you could get a 60 in 1 multi board for $50, reuse your existing controls and call it a day. Were you planning to paint or get custom decals made for your cabinet or just going to leave it as is?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)