• Feb 12th, 2011 2:08 pm
Tags:
None
May 23, 2008
109 posts
4 upvotes

Rogers Coverage in Buffalo

Hi,

Just wondering if anyones had experience in Buffalo, NY with a Rogers cell phone. I noticed that the coverage map of course stops at all borders but its got solid connection right to the border. In Manitoba, I get reception a good distance away from the red areas on Rogers coverage map.

Can you pick up Rogers reception from Buffalo? (More specifically HSBC Arena)

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
AFAIK no you can not. In Buffalo, you'll be connected to either Verizon or AT&T network which will incur the high roaming charges. I am guessing that the licencing which Rogers does not pay to FCC prohibits it from any wireless transmission within US boundary.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/add-o ... hyourphone
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
Literally as you cross the river you get a text message saying welcome to the USA, you're on roaming
Oct 9, 2006
715 posts
197 upvotes
GTA
I have been to the hsbc center which next to hsbc arena and there is no Rogers service there.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
matdwyer wrote: Literally as you cross the river you get a text message saying welcome to the USA, you're on roaming

Can't you turn off roaming so that it will connect to Canadian towers until out of range?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
once you cross the border.
your roaming on at&t baby.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
GTT1 wrote: Can't you turn off roaming so that it will connect to Canadian towers until out of range?
and whose carrier are you going to use? ;)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
^Not true. When you cross the border and there should still be some Rogers fringe coverage. I remember you can still get some along the shore of dt buffalo, fort erie. Just make sure you force ur connection onto Rogers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
If your phone as the option you can probably select to pick up the rogers tower (my old phone had a "home only" selection) but even so it would be risking it in my mind. Your best bet for anything in the states is to get a prepaid phone for $15 at walmart that comes with minutes, although it sounds like you're just going to a sabres game, in which case, just do the 3 hours without a phone :o