Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

RESTOCK 171 - HOT? KOBO EBook refurb 6" $69.99 @ BEST BUY

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2011 12:05 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2181 posts
1215 upvotes

[Best Buy] RESTOCK 171 - HOT? KOBO EBook refurb 6" $69.99 @ BEST BUY

FEB 14 update - restock 171

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/kob ... cbae56en02

Decent deal??

Comment??

I am start looking at eBook reader - the real eInk one, not the tablet LCD kind, (i have many laptop already) :)

educate me and comment on this deal.

KOBO, KINDLE, SONY, ALURATEK or PANDIGITAL???????

thanks, 14 left now for backorder
44 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2010
5386 posts
1040 upvotes
Toronto
You should mention its a refurb.
---> Buy With Confidence! Over 80+ Feedback <---
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
I think it's a good deal for what it is. I paid $79 at Best Buy when they first advertised them. Then it went to $89 and now it's on sale for $69.

The other alternative is to buy the version 2 Kobo from Borders for $100 plus about $6 shipping. That has wireless and page turns are noticibly faster.

Then if you want to spend a lot more money, there's the Kindle and/or Sony Readers plus a lot of other less-known brands that also have offerings. If all you want to do is read books, this is about as cheap as it gets at the moment.
Phils
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2005
1247 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
I've used the newer KOBO with wireless and the Sony Pocket Reader w/o wireless- Kobo is nicer to hold (fits hands better, nicer feel), but the touchscreen on the Sony is nice for navigating (e.g. helpful with travelbooks). Touchscreen not an issue for straightforward book reading, IMO. Wireless is nice for access to KOBO bookstore, but it's easier to shop on your computer anyway, so the wireless function is not a big deal IMO, just a way to transfer books onto the device. Page turns were just fast enough with the KOBO (Sony was similar), I might get annoyed with slower.

Try in store, but sounds like a good deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
1012 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Pandigital use traditional color TFT screens for their display? I'd classify that as a tablet. If I was buying an eBook reader, I'd be looking at ones with e-ink...
Aug 4, 2010
691 posts
277 upvotes
Not Winnipeg
That is an awesome deal if you can get one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2005
6225 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
Order Online:

* Out of Stock: Will ship when available. 115 units available for backorder.

Limited Quantities available.
Local Store Availability:
Available online only

:facepalm:
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1950 posts
169 upvotes
ordered one for my son, thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
I got the Aluratek from BB the other day for $112 taxes in NIB

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/alu ... 31e902en02

Definitely takes some getting used to, If your main goal is PDF reading you may find some that don't scale properly, but all in all I'm happy with it, and resisted the urge to get a tablet.

There's a software called Calibre (freeware) that boosts the value for me enormously. You can grab newspapers online with it, along with magazines like wired etc.

69.99 is a steal for the Kobo, but if you're like me, I always seem to miss these deals and they go OOS.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Kobo sucks for comics, IMHO. Get a color tablet.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Nov 6, 2006
217 posts
32 upvotes
For the price seems good.Considering it, my concern is about the page turn speeds. Apparently its slower than the newer wifi kobo which is in turn slower than the kindle 3. Then again for $70 might not be that big a deal.

How long do you guys think it'll take until they would actually ship them?
Oct 12, 2005
315 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
This seems to be available in-store as well. I just picked up one tonight at the Markville Mall Best Buy. They had about 4 or 5 left. Hot deal IMO.
Jul 7, 2005
247 posts
22 upvotes
"Kobo sucks for comics, IMHO. Get a color tablet."

and how does one view comics. I've got a color nook and can't see how to read comic files. Any tips
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
sweet wrote: "Kobo sucks for comics, IMHO. Get a color tablet."

and how does one view comics. I've got a color nook and can't see how to read comic files. Any tips

root and install acv
Apr 11, 2004
86 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I picked one up for my wife but it's brutal compared to my Galaxy Tab. No backlight, slow, black and white, navigation is a joke. If I can't figure it out, she'll be lost.
Jun 14, 2005
704 posts
148 upvotes
Ottawa
vanroessel wrote: I picked one up for my wife but it's brutal compared to my Galaxy Tab. No backlight, slow, black and white, navigation is a joke. If I can't figure it out, she'll be lost.

:facepalm:
This thread is about an e-reader. For e-books.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)