Computers & Electronics

Cable Internet Install Questions (Optimizing Speed+Reliability?)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2011 5:43 am
Tags:
None
Sep 10, 2008
822 posts
28 upvotes
Waterloo

Cable Internet Install Questions (Optimizing Speed+Reliability?)

I think my questions might be a bit too noob-like, as googling didn't seem to give me direct answers:

I'll be switching to Teksavvy Cable from DSL this Friday.

1.) I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL router doing the dialing while my DSL modem acts as a bridge. However with cable, I think there is no username/password? Am I right then to assume that the router will simply need to be changed to DHCP?

2.) Most importantly... Are there certain general rule-of-thumbs I should follow to ensure best speeds?

Ideas that I am concerned with:

- I can choose to have the cable modem really close to the cable... cable, and then have long runs of cat6 cable to every PC in the house. Or I can choose to have a long run of rg6 (I think?) cable so that the modem can be upstairs, then use shorter ethernet cables to the PCs. Is there a best method of setup?

- Should the router generally be close to the modem, or is it not a big deal to have the modem far away from the router (30+ feet via cat6 cable).

- Is there a noticeable difference in real world stuff between cat5, cat5e, and cat6? (I'll be on a 14mbps connection if this is relevant)

I appreciate any help in advance.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
honestly you're thinking about it too much

signal degrading really isnt relevant with these small distances in our homes. whether you go with the longer rg6 or cat5 doesnt matter. (ive tested computers with 25 feet of cat5 vs 5 feet and the speeds were the same)

if i were you i would route the "Cable Internet" from the basement to a room upstairs and just run cat5 to the computers. or you could consider powerline routing