Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Bike Frames and Components @ competitivecyclist.com

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2011 11:39 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2982 posts
324 upvotes

Bike Frames and Components @ competitivecyclist.com

RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
53 replies
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
Other highlights include SRAM X0 shifters ($109) and Crank Bros Cobalt headset ($25)

Shipping to Canada is via UPS, so be careful of duties/brokerage
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2982 posts
324 upvotes
good thing you pointed out about the headset wushudrew, I didn't see that one. And ya $109 X0 shifters are nice. Price is dropping for 9 speed to make room for 10 speed...

Yup UPS...
UPS Brokage Rates Entry Preparation Charges: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... rance.html
+ Bond Fee: a fee of 2.7 percent of value (minimum $5.85)
+ COD Fee: $4.25

Those can be calculated before hand...but duty is what bugs
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
I am considering emailing CC to see whether they can ship via USPS for orders w/ small box sizes. Theyre more much reasonable in terms of final cost to your door.
Jul 13, 2009
80 posts
1 upvote
This has nothing to do with the current sale but I thought I could ask here, do you guys knows any good place to buy good quality cycling clothes at good prices?
Oct 31, 2009
370 posts
76 upvotes
Hi,

the mavic crossride are 89 the wheelset?? it seems to me that really cheap no?

wheelset means front and end right?

do you know how the shipping works for competitive cyclist?

I'm in montreal.

Thank you
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2982 posts
324 upvotes
fanfaron wrote: the mavic crossride are 89 the wheelset?? it seems to me that really cheap no?
wheelset means front and end right?
do you know how the shipping works for competitive cyclist? I'm in montreal.
This is wheelSET (front AND rear), that is why I think its a really good deal. Crossride are bomb proof. They are a little heavy for for 89 bucks...you can't complain. I spend more then 89 bucks on spokes when I build my wheels.
Shipping is UPS Standard $25.95 to Canada
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
$89 for a set of Crossrides is VERY cheap, almost criminally so. The cost to Canadian dealers for that wheelset is probably more than $89. Wheelset means front and rear, yes.

CC ships via UPS, and so you will get charged duties and brokerage at the border, maybe taxes too. Still, all of that on a $89 bill isnt going to be too much, and youll still be way ahead by the time it gets to your door.
Jan 15, 2011
141 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
achc wrote: This is wheelSET (front AND rear), that is why I think its a really good deal. Crossride are bomb proof. They are a little heavy for for 89 bucks...you can't complain. I spend more then 89 bucks on spokes when I build my wheels.
Shipping is UPS Standard $25.95 to Canada

I'm going to reluctantly thank you. I told myself no more bike equipement this year... and then you go and go and post this! :)

Just picked a set up. It's a no brainer at this price!!
Sep 26, 2009
419 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
hey thanks for the heads up.
these sales happen often?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
I ordered 2 sets of the mavic UB crossirdes. Great deal. yes its the front and the rear included with skewers.

Note: there is a 6.1% duty charged on pre built wheels sets. Also specify USPS when ordering from competitive as they might ship UPS.

the Yeti ASR-7 is XL not small. they will not ship yeti frames to Canada but they will sell them to you.

Great store to deal with and great service, they have a 60 day no questions asked warrenty and I used it on a yeti frame in August with no problems.
Nov 14, 2006
717 posts
236 upvotes
Calgary
MMMM wrote: I ordered 2 sets of the mavic UB crossirdes. Great deal. yes its the front and the rear included with skewers.

Note: there is a 6.1% duty charged on pre built wheels sets. Also specify USPS when ordering from competitive as they might ship UPS.

the Yeti ASR-7 is XL not small. they will not ship yeti frames to Canada but they will sell them to you.

Great store to deal with and great service, they have a 60 day no questions asked warrenty and I used it on a yeti frame in August with no problems.

Does anyone know the duty on a complete bike? How about a frame? I was looking at their cyclocross bikes.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
There shouldn't be any duty 6.1% on North American made frames and bike parts. I wonder if the tax savings applies to bikes purchased outside of Ontario?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5924 posts
7346 upvotes
I wish I could afford a road bike :( , why are they soo expensive. Is there any company/store that sells a cheap but reliable road bike for leisure biking, I don't care about weight. I just want to be able to go the distance.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2521 posts
1658 upvotes
Ottawa
jmlebeau wrote: This has nothing to do with the current sale but I thought I could ask here, do you guys knows any good place to buy good quality cycling clothes at good prices?
CC has some Rapha cycling clothing on sale. That stuff is probably as good quality as you can get. Campagnolo Sportswear is also nice and 50% off for certain items.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2982 posts
324 upvotes
MMMM wrote: Note: there is a 6.1% duty charged on pre built wheels sets. Also specify USPS when ordering from competitive as they might ship UPS.

MMMM, do they ship USPS? The only options seems to be UPS which I know we in Canada will get hit heavily by tax, duties, and brokerage. Tax and brokerage I know, where did you get the info about duty?

I have fixed the size on the ASR-7. Where on CC did they said they don't ship Yeti to Canada? They took my order with Canadian billing and shipping address. Its not shipped yet but they took it.

dang...really should have nicked that Crank Brothers Cobalt headset for 25 bucks but I am a loyal Chris King fan. CB also have way worst review then CK. Its a little lighter and for 25 bucks, for sure dirt cheap but headset is something I don't want to be changing every year. Its really suppose to be a set and go thing.
CC wrote:we have to ship frames via UPS.
Thanks for the order.
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Jun 30, 2009
841 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah they only ship UPS to Canada. I purchased one of the BMC SLX01's that are on sale a little over a month ago and I had it shipped to CBI USA in Niagara Falls so I could avoid the UPS duty charges.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
achc wrote: MMMM, do they ship USPS? The only options seems to be UPS which I know we in Canada will get hit heavily by tax, duties, and brokerage. Tax and brokerage I know, where did you get the info about duty?

I have fixed the size on the ASR-7. Where on CC did they said they don't ship Yeti to Canada? They took my order with Canadian billing and shipping address. Its not shipped yet but they took it.

dang...really should have nicked that Crank Brothers Cobalt headset for 25 bucks but I am a loyal Chris King fan. CB also have way worst review then CK. Its a little lighter and for 25 bucks, for sure dirt cheap but headset is something I don't want to be changing every year. Its really suppose to be a set and go thing.

Yep, I ordered two wheelsets and two storm rotors. total shipping was 33.00 USD. They shipped yesterday via USPS. We had to pick up our Yeti frame in the states for the warranty to be active. yeti does not allow its frames to be sold outside the US. same with Jenson.
They aslo packed the two wheelsets in a frame box to help with shipping. You have to ask for USPS.

Comp cycylist: Under Yetis
US Yeti dealers are prohibited from shipping Yeti bicycles outside of the US, Canada, or Mexico.
From Canada Customs:

bike parts - Duty free
Built wheels- 6.1%
Complete bikes - 13%
Bike tires - not sure if there is a duty

The duty charges are hit and miss. I ordered 3 xtr rear derailleures from Chain reaction. They arrived in a small 9" square box. The box was labeled bike. I was charged duty at 13%. I complained and customs refunded the duty charged. the girl at customs looked a little confused as I pointed out it would be hard to fit a bike in the tiny box. The last wheel set I ordered was 4 years ago from Cambria. It was mixed in with some other parts and I was not charged. if the box states parts generally customs will not be bothered to figure out the stuff inside.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
After a quick call to Canada Customs here are some changes to the following:

From Canada Customs:

bike parts - Duty free with exceptions

from 0% to 5% depending on the part. generally the duty will be 0%. Certain items are higher including seats.

Built wheels- 6.1%

This depends on the main compenent and where it is made. This could also be as low as 0% if the wheel is entirely made in the US or mexico

Complete bikes - 13%

if the main compenent of the bike is made outside of the US or mexico and you import the bike into Canada the duty is 13%. It is up to the commercial builder of the bike to declare how the bike is built. if the frame is built in the states and most of the compenets are from the states there will be no duty charged.

Bike tires -

not sure if there is a duty but could be as high as 6%

Canada Customs stated they contract out the process of charging duties to Canada Post. There is quite often errors with 0% being charged for most bike parts. :) So, if you are planing on buying the super cheap mavic wheelset remember they are not made in the states (very few bike parts are). You could be charged more taxes. probably not though as they will just be labeled bike parts.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)