• Jun 3rd, 2011 2:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes

What can I do with my Petro-Points?

I know it isn't much, but I have about 5047 Petro-Canada Petro Points. I used to collect them and use them periodically, but for the last 3 years I've lived in a town where there is no convenient Petro-Can gas station. There are two stations around here, but both are on the other side of town (requiring a 15+ minute drive just to get there) and they both typically are the most expensive stations in the area. I had a 10-cent/litre discount card that I finally used up last week.

Can I convert the Petro Points to Airmiles or Aeroplan? I don't really have any other points account to transfer them to, other than HBC.

So how can I get something of value out of these points? I don't expect a whole lot, but it would be nice to get at least something from them. I'd hate to just lose them and get absolutely nothing in return. Perferably I'd like to just use them all up (every single one of them) and then just let the points account go stagnant.

edit. Oops. I have 5047, not ~7500 that I originally thought I had. There might be a couple hundred points not posted yet but I'm not sure.
39 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
Go to their website and create an account.

There is a listing there of what you can redeem for and how many points you need to redeem to get said benefit.

I am not aware of a function to convert the points.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2010
1398 posts
208 upvotes
Go to their website and create an account and order some free gas card.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
Heh. I HAVE an account with them. I thought it was a safe assumption.

The points are only worth about $5. There isn't anything I can purchase with them directly from the Petro-points website.

I realize it's a tiny amount and I was just curious if there was another points system I could convert them to, or convert to something else and then convert again, etc. I don't care if I only end up with 1 Airmiles or 10 Aeroplan miles or whatever, I just hate to have them sit there wasted.

The only thing I see on their website is to convert them to CAA Dollars (I don't belong to CAA), Sears Points (nope), or Aisa Miles (nope again.)

I was just hoping that someone had some ideas.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
The best ROR is in this order

- Asia Miles
- Car Washes
- Gift cards sold at Petro Canada for other stores
- The crappy 5 cents or 10 cents off / litre petro cards.

Why Petro likes to give you more back to send you to OTHER stores than they do on their own gas, I do not understand, but that is how it works.

You almost have enough for a car wash... I would suggest buy a few more tanks of gas to get enough for a car wash, use the points, and be done with it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 23, 2004
47728 posts
13901 upvotes
Markham
Paulfistinyourface wrote: Heh. I HAVE an account with them. I thought it was a safe assumption.

The points are only worth about $5. There isn't anything I can purchase with them directly from the Petro-points website.

I realize it's a tiny amount and I was just curious if there was another points system I could convert them to, or convert to something else and then convert again, etc. I don't care if I only end up with 1 Airmiles or 10 Aeroplan miles or whatever, I just hate to have them sit there wasted.

The only thing I see on their website is to convert them to CAA Dollars (I don't belong to CAA), Sears Points (nope), or Aisa Miles (nope again.)

I was just hoping that someone had some ideas.

i'll gladly take them off your hands for $5? lmao :lol: //jokes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5654 posts
2168 upvotes
The thing I hate about all these gas points is that they depreciate. Today a $20 GC might cost X pts. Next year it might cost X + 10%. I like to redeem them on small things. With Petro Pts, the best thing is the fuel savings cause that's direct cash savings. You can get snacks if you don't intend to use Petro all that much going forward. You can get a candy bar or bottle of water for under 2000 pts I think. Not a good deal but what else can you do with the points if you don't plan to accumulate more right?
Mar 23, 2004
47728 posts
13901 upvotes
Markham
BananaHunter wrote: The thing I hate about all these gas points is that they depreciate. Today a $20 GC might cost X pts. Next year it might cost X + 10%. I like to redeem them on small things. With Petro Pts, the best thing is the fuel savings cause that's direct cash savings. You can get snacks if you don't intend to use Petro all that much going forward. You can get a candy bar or bottle of water for under 2000 pts I think. Not a good deal but what else can you do with the points if you don't plan to accumulate more right?

well if u dont like gas pts u can always go esso (aeroplan) or shell (air miles).
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
154 upvotes
So can I go into the Petro-Can store and use my points to buy (for example) a chocolate bar and a can of Coke? Are they able to use up every single PetroPoint I have and I'll just pay the (hopefully) small difference with cash?

If that's possible, then I might just do that. LIke I said, I know I have very little value in points. I just hate to waste them.

Sorry if it's a stupid question. The only thing I've ever used PPs for is to buy/top up that discount card. Now that I finally have that discount card zero'd out I just want go cash-out my points and be done with them. The two local stores are inconvenient and I'm rarely on that side of town...and neither of them have a car wash. I think the one has those manual car washes, but I hate using those things. I always seem to clean my own shoes better than my vehicle.
Apr 19, 2010
380 posts
32 upvotes
for every 1000 pts = $10 in Itravel2000 website... so .. you can get 50 dollars off ur trip.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
CBC wrote: for every 1000 pts = $10 in Itravel2000 website... so .. you can get 50 dollars off ur trip.

Are you sure that's not 1000 points = $10, or does ITravel have a limit as to how many points you can use per trip? Buying a $1000 trip with $100 worth of points would be a steal!
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: The thing I hate about all these gas points is that they depreciate. Today a $20 GC might cost X pts. Next year it might cost X + 10%. I like to redeem them on small things. With Petro Pts, the best thing is the fuel savings cause that's direct cash savings.

Argh, no it is not. The fuel savings reward is basically the worst reward they offer. The only reason they sell so many is they dress it up as an X cents off / litre to fool people.

If you want to redeem for small things, redeem for car washes. Its worth I think TWICE what the fuel reward is.

You are going to wash your car several times during the winter anyway, right? So why pay for it? The certificate is valid for 6 months.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 23, 2004
47728 posts
13901 upvotes
Markham
CBC wrote: for every 1000 pts = $10 in Itravel2000 website... so .. you can get 50 dollars off ur trip.
Thalo wrote: Are you sure that's not 1000 points = $10, or does ITravel have a limit as to how many points you can use per trip? Buying a $1000 trip with $100 worth of points would be a steal!

it's 10000 pt per $10 =p

http://www.itravel2000.com/PetroPointsPrograms.aspx
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1127 posts
479 upvotes
This thread reminded me that I had some Petro points lying around from a couple of years ago. I wanted to know how many exactly so I went to their web site to create an account. The good news: I got 2500 points for signing in. Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
getting close to 100K points... guess ill spend it at itravel2000.
Are the prices for flights decent on that site?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1069 posts
100 upvotes
I used my petro points to pay for my CAA yearly membership.

I have a lot of points as its been the first card I ever got and purchase with everything. I'm at 200,000 points, (nope thats not a typo)...
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2010
1127 posts
479 upvotes
menaknow wrote: I used my petro points to pay for my CAA yearly membership.

Unfortunately this option is only available to CAA Ontario members.