Which Tax Return Program to Use?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2011 12:07 pm
Mar 23, 2009
246 posts
37 upvotes

Which Tax Return Program to Use?

Hello all!

I need some help as to which tax return program to use? I filed my taxes the last two years using quicktax (now: turbotax). I got 20% off through RBC special offer. But I have seen posting saying that if you buy the actual DVD, then you can have up to 5 returns? How does it work?

I'm only filing taxes for myself and not the family.

I also work full time and go to school full time. It'd be nice if anybody can give me some suggestions! :lol:

Thank you!!!! :)
27 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
51 upvotes
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
2043 posts
793 upvotes
Ottawa
+1 for Studio tax (it is free).
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
51 upvotes
eiad77 wrote: +1 for Studio tax (it is free).

Udotaxes is also.

"# Totally FREE ! No license key is required on version 2010
The certified version is released! click here go to download page."
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
all of them including ufile

you'll get lots of practice plus it's fun!
"We don't have a soul... We are a soul. We have a body." ~C.S Lewis
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
How easy is it to do yourself? My dad always used to do it for me (by hand).
Don't want to mess this up lol
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
I'm skipping Studio Tax. Their RRSP portion is very confusing. The support from Studio Tax is pretty much useless and the "help" portion of the app is virtually non existent. What one can also do is check-out the demo of Quicktax and then carryover or the numbers from online to paper. I'll try Udotaxes.
Mar 23, 2009
246 posts
37 upvotes
xlfe wrote: all of them including ufile

you'll get lots of practice plus it's fun!

How's filing taxes fun? Hehe

I also have RRSP too. This will be my first year filing RRSP. so how complicated is it??
Dec 10, 2007
772 posts
40 upvotes
Surrey
I initially started with TurboTax and given my tax situation I would have to pay the ~$14 to file my return. Decided to give StudioTax a try, after all is said and done, final amount is a few cents difference. I will be filing the StudioTax return. I will say however, had I not used TurboTax initially I could have very easily missed something in StudioTax.

If like me, filing with TurboTax will cost you money and if you have time to do your return a second time, I would suggest doing as I did. Initially do a trial run with TurboTax. Then with the knowledge you've gained by using TurboTax, do your taxes with StudioTax and account for any differences. Assuming they then match up, file with StudioTax. ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
51 upvotes
Pavel wrote: I'm skipping Studio Tax. Their RRSP portion is very confusing. The support from Studio Tax is pretty much useless ...
Not correct. If you understand Basics of RRSP and A/B portions from reassessment then its simple. ST do reply to e-mail support.
Jul 4, 2007
103 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
djino wrote: *sigh*, why can't any of these free programs be used to file Quebec returns. :(

djino

http://www.studiotax.com/en/main.htm
New in 2010: Over the last few years many of you asked us to support Québec provincial returns. We are happy to announce that la belle province is fully supported by StudioTax 2010. Please let your friends and family in Québec know that they can prepare and file both their federal and provincial returns using Studiotax 2010.
Banned
Oct 29, 2009
153 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Had been using Quick(Turbo) Tax for about 10yrs, then this year bought Ufile which at 19.99 is cheaper.
Ufile is not quite as polished and in some places not as intuitive, but it's pretty good since I know my way around anyway. It was nice to be able to import
previous years info from Quicktax. I haven't tried any of the free programs.
Mar 23, 2009
246 posts
37 upvotes
thank you for all the replies!

i have another question.. again... i switched my RRSP from one bank to another.. and the first bank sent me a tax receipt for my RRSP. and i haven't received anything from my second bank yet... Should I just disregard my first tax receipt since I moved all my RRSP to the second bank?

thank you!!!! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
champlinD wrote: Not correct. If you understand Basics of RRSP and A/B portions from reassessment then its simple. ST do reply to e-mail support.

To each their own. Had I not tried Quicktax after I got frustrated with Studio Tax, I wouldn't have figured out what Studio Tax was doing or wanting to do. Their wizard leaves a LOT to be desired. Yeah, I never said Studio tax doesnt reply back. They do, but they're about as helpful as PayPal customer support ;)
Mar 23, 2009
246 posts
37 upvotes
hi all again

so i used both turbotax and studiotax to prepare my taxes. i haven't submitted it yet. But i noticed that studiotax has a higher amount of refund. Does that amount include the annual estimated GST/HST credit???

and why does studiotax has a higher amount???? :confused:
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1613 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
find.nicole wrote: thank you for all the replies!

i have another question.. again... i switched my RRSP from one bank to another.. and the first bank sent me a tax receipt for my RRSP. and i haven't received anything from my second bank yet... Should I just disregard my first tax receipt since I moved all my RRSP to the second bank?

thank you!!!! :)
If you switched RRSP from one bank to another by filling out the RRSP transfer form and there is no new contribution, you will not get any receipt from the 2nd Bank and you have to use the RRSP contribution receipt from the first bank for tax return purposes.
find.nicole wrote: hi all again

so i used both turbotax and studiotax to prepare my taxes. i haven't submitted it yet. But i noticed that studiotax has a higher amount of refund. Does that amount include the annual estimated GST/HST credit???

and why does studiotax has a higher amount???? :confused:
The tax refund does not include GST/HST credit. Check both the returns properly and compare line by line and see where do you find the difference. I do not know what your taxable income is, but I am told that some tax softwares do not automatically do Schedule 6 for low income earners and that could cause a difference on line 453 and on refund amount.
Pramod Chopra
Mortgages and Investments